Official CAVE IN Thread: Now Signed to Relapse! New Record Soon! Reissues!

It's a massive album, a real listening journey and a lot to digest. They really went all out on this one. I don't want to give anything away, but I hope one day I'll get to see them perform the whole thing in full. The epic duel guitar hook at the very end by itself should be worth the price of admission. 

Some poor saps out there are going to whine that this Cave In record isn’t “dynamic” or varied enough, but the energy and riffs are simply relentless in the best way.  It’s too early to confidently gush but first impressions have me feeling like the album’s momentum stays consistent front to back… which is impressive when you consider the runtime.  I enjoy[ed] Final Transmission but this is a different kind of monster altogether.

6 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Some poor saps out there are going to whine that this Cave In record isn’t “dynamic” or varied enough, but the energy and riffs are simply relentless in the best way.  It’s too early to confidently gush but first impressions have me feeling like the album’s momentum stays consistent front to back… which is impressive when you consider the runtime.  I enjoy[ed] Final Transmission but this is a different kind of monster altogether.

I feel that.  side C and D are just so epic.  hearing those singles mixed in with the rest of the album is just so good.  reckoning going into the last track thats like 15 minute 'cavein take of zeppelin' is incredible.

I'm on my third listen now and I'm just really impressed with how cohesive this record is. The order of the songs (both as a whole and as different sides of the records) works beautifully and despite the length there isn't really any obvious filler. The non-single songs are growing quickly on me and I'm catching new things I like with every listen. There's a lot of variety, but it's held together by the drums and Nate's low end.

I just kinda wanna listen to it all day long and have to force myself not to in order to maintain that sweet rush of discovery. I'm definitely putting that poster up over my bed, too; I don't care what my wife says.

Edited by ParallelofDeath

21 minutes ago, ZeroNowhere said:

Got this today as well.  Can’t wait to jam it tonight.  I love how they put a barcode sticker on the slip mat which left a sticky residue after peeling it off.  That was smart of them.

They must figure no one is going to use those slipmats – they're not there for practicality so much as a means of up-charging the price of a 2LP "bundle".

7 hours ago, Derek™ said:

They must figure no one is going to use those slipmats – they're not there for practicality so much as a means of up-charging the price of a 2LP "bundle".

Agreed. I can’t tell you how many slip mats, totes, enamel pins, etc I have that came with bundles that never get used 😂

At least tote bags are practical I guess. I just use them for groceries, or if I’m on vacation and plan on traveling with a TON of records (which happens more often than not haha)

Edited by prowl20

8 hours ago, prowl20 said:

Agreed. I can’t tell you how many slip mats, totes, enamel pins, etc I have that came with bundles that never get used 😂

At least tote bags are practical I guess. I just use them for groceries, or if I’m on vacation and plan on traveling with a TON of records (which happens more often than not haha)

I have never traveled with records in my life. Tell me more about this! 

2 minutes ago, ntslash said:

I have never traveled with records in my life. Tell me more about this! 

You've never gone record shopping on vacation? That's practically the whole reason I go on vacation.

Edited by scottheisel

Nightmare Eyes is my current favorite.

Brodsky said “In just eight lines, I did my best to capture a picture of driving along the Pacific Coast Highway at golden hour several years ago, and what it felt like to share that moment with someone I was in love with at the time.”, made me love Blinded by a Blaze even more.

30 minutes ago, prowl20 said:

It’s on soulseek currently. 

I feel like he – or maybe another user I’m confusing him with? – has repeatedly complained about the lack of download codes in the past.  Across numerous threads, each time being met with at least one person [sometimes myself] suggesting slsk.  Teach a man to fish… only works if the man is willing to fish in the first place. 🤷‍♂️

14 hours ago, prowl20 said:

or if I’m on vacation and plan on traveling with a TON of records (which happens more often than not haha)

Pooooooof! This just reminded me that my partner and I are going to the South for two weeks in less than two weeks. I didn’t even think about this until now, because I feel like, subconsciously, I was trying to get away from buying records, and just my life in music. Who the fuck am I kidding?!

Anyways, still haven’t listened yet, but I’m very very much excited. Landed yesterday, and the deluxe tri-color looks so cool. I’m gonna use the slip mat as a frisbee I just throw at the cats.

3 hours ago, prowl20 said:

It’s on soulseek currently. 

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I feel like he – or maybe another user I’m confusing him with? – has repeatedly complained about the lack of download codes in the past.  Across numerous threads, each time being met with at least one person [sometimes myself] suggesting slsk.  Teach a man to fish… only works if the man is willing to fish in the first place. 🤷‍♂️

I'm on soulseek a lot, but my issue especially with relapse is:

They used to provide Bandcamp D/L codes to use with vinyl purchases then they stopped without stating why. However, it's kinda clear they want people to double dip for wanting the rarer / deluxe editions/ etc cause those are the versions that don't appear on bandcamp when pre-orders are announced. so you have to first pay like $5 (or more) extra for the rare/deluxe copy (or even some crazy bundle) then another $10 for the download if you don't want to pirate. To me, that just sucks.   I'm personally thinking none of this is worth it anymore so yeah.. fuck it I'll deal with the plebe versions of the records and get the download. Just sucks knowing that it didn't use to be that way not so long ago.  

I may’ve confused you with someone else, my bad if I did.  I do think it sucks to secretly omit downloads if you’ve been offering them for years – even if they’re just printed on a little scrap of paper and redeemed through a basic downloaded online, they must figure that everyone just streams when they’re not spinning the vinyl.  I’m sure that someone in the business was hired to trim all possible fat and maximize profit margins, so switching off the servers to support downloads was likely one of the steps in doing so.

I sympathize with where you’re coming from though, and it’s why I love buying through bandcamp unless I absolutely need a specific variant that’s not sold on there, or something.  No one bothers with digital collections anymore, it’s really sad.  (Surely you’ve heard they’re discontinuing iPod manufacturing, right?)  We are of a dying breed.  Fortunately slsk has just about everything you’d want in 320, at minimum.  99% of the time, anyway.

33 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I may’ve confused you with someone else, my bad if I did.  I do think it sucks to secretly omit downloads if you’ve been offering them for years – even if they’re just printed on a little scrap of paper and redeemed through a basic downloaded online, they must figure that everyone just streams when they’re not spinning the vinyl.  I’m sure that someone in the business was hired to trim all possible fat and maximize profit margins, so switching off the servers to support downloads was likely one of the steps in doing so.

I sympathize with where you’re coming from though, and it’s why I love buying through bandcamp unless I absolutely need a specific variant that’s not sold on there, or something.  No one bothers with digital collections anymore, it’s really sad.  (Surely you’ve heard they’re discontinuing iPod manufacturing, right?)  We are of a dying breed.  Fortunately slsk has just about everything you’d want in 320, at minimum.  99% of the time, anyway.

I like hosting my own digital library, movies, TV, music, etc. (my thoughts on streaming in general include why do I need to keep paying for stuff I already own). Musicwise, I recently discovered that plexAMP works with Android Auto really well, so I can effectively stream everything from my home server. Effectively this will render my Music device useless except for when I travel. The discontinuation of the ipod was unfortunate and foreseeable though. I do feel they missed out on the opportunity to have a Wifi only iphone type device by discontinuing it.. but meh. 

In general I feel everything is moving to a X as a service model vs X as a product. That's the part that is really annoying to me. We no longer buy the product, we buy the privilege to use the product.  Also saddens me that people have been made to feel that owning stuff is inferior to paying to it in perpetuity.

I'll stop being that old man yelling at clouds person now.