PO - The Menzingers - Hello Exile (Oct. 4)

5 minutes ago, veggiecorecords said:

What are you talking about? Tim literally calls himself out on the 2nd song on the new Cursive record:

"I was a middle class kid from the middle west
I was the quintessential, sheltered innocent
I didn’t know what segregation meant —
I didn’t have to know — the world I knew
Was white as snow
And so I look back now at these severed towns
All the hate they spread, simply not spreading out
Fuck this denial, fuck their ignorant bliss"

I think that’s his point. Tim is white so he isn’t allowed to write about and is incapable of empathizing with, anyone who is not.

It’s a dumb ass viewpoint, but I believe that’s it.

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

7 hours ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

Hey Rambo. We get it, white people aren’t allowed to write songs about not white people, and Cursive are a horrible band with horrible lyrics about horrible things they have NO RIGHT TO SING ABOUT. Fucking white devils, they are. How many threads ya gotta talk the same shit in?

Maybe... just don’t buy the new Menzingers or Cursive records if they trigger you so much.

But I guess playing “super woke sjw lyrical topic gatekeeper” online is a better look. Is Frank Turner a misogynistic pig for making an album about women? Go write an article about it for The Independent instead of repeating the same dreck here over and over.

Mother fucker, I've commented on this subject twice in two threads where both bands are doing the exact same type of lazy ass race baiting tactic in an attempt to garnish morality points. I despise identity politics as a whole and am a big fan of the Freedom of Associatation.

Frank Turner writing fictional content in the name of art isn't the same thing as Tim Kasher lecturing other white people about how evil they are, especially when he has no fucking idea what it's like to be anything other than a white dude. I steadily defend Dads for doing the same type of shit you're accusing Frank Turner of doing lol.

You're interpretation of what I'm actually saying is completely ass backwards. It's not cringe worthy because they aren't "woke enough" (people who say shit like that are the worst), it's cringe worthy because it's lazy and does absolutely nothing beneficial for anybody, just gets other self-loathing white people to be like, "Yeah, true man, we are bad."

2 hours ago, veggiecorecords said:

What are you talking about? Tim literally calls himself out on the 2nd song on the new Cursive record:

"I was a middle class kid from the middle west
I was the quintessential, sheltered innocent
I didn’t know what segregation meant —
I didn’t have to know — the world I knew
Was white as snow
And so I look back now at these severed towns
All the hate they spread, simply not spreading out
Fuck this denial, fuck their ignorant bliss"

Just a wordsy version of Joe Biden's "Poor Kids Are Just as Bright as White Kids."

I'm not trying to convince anyone to find this shit as annoying as I do, I can have my own opinions too. Lyrics you might find brave or truthful come off as pandering and self-aggrandizing to me. That's the thing about art, people interpret it differently.

After keeping this in heavy rotation for almost 2 weeks now, it's gotta be 3rd (maybe a low as 4th?) on my Menzingers discography rankings. Which isn't a bad thing!  It's probably still somewhere in 6-10th place on my year-end favorite albums list.   

I really enjoy the majority of the album, but it feels a little too on the nose at points and the upbeat classic-menzingers style songs are weighted towards the front.  That being said, i think mixing in a couple of the slower more americana-y songs in the live show will really complement everything else they do.  Excited to see them (for the 6th time) in December!

4 hours ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

I think that’s his point. Tim is white so he isn’t allowed to write about and is incapable of empathizing with, anyone who is not.

It’s a dumb ass viewpoint, but I believe that’s it.

One more thing, this is an aggressively wack justification. You do realize how this comes off, right? "Empathizing," suggests you believe that there's a hierarchy. So Tim Kasher and anyone with his background/similar genealogy is up (^)HERE and anyone outside of that is down (v)here, like it's a fuckin' handicap or disability. 

I don't want to go down this road any further because we're never going to agree, and clearly you'd rather be aggressive about the subject. I'm not saying either acts have committed egregious or heinous things, but this "triggering" shit you ripped my ass about is how their material comes off to me. Clearly you feel personally attacked by my opinion, and I don't know what to tell you about that. If anyone here is pissed off at me for being annoyed by this shit then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Shitty Rambo said:

One more thing, this is an aggressively wack justification. You do realize how this comes off, right? "Empathizing," suggests you believe that there's a hierarchy. So Tim Kasher and anyone with his background/similar genealogy is up (^)HERE and anyone outside of that is down (v)here, like it's a fuckin' handicap or disability. 

Not weighing in at all on the overall argument here, but this isn't right. At all. The definition of empathy is sharing feelings with another. It has zero to do with hierarchy or the condescension you're describing. I don't know, maybe you're thinking of sympathy?

2 hours ago, mr. sincere said:

Not weighing in at all on the overall argument here, but this isn't right. At all. The definition of empathy is sharing feelings with another. It has zero to do with hierarchy or the condescension you're describing. I don't know, maybe you're thinking of sympathy?

Touché, wrote this briefly while sitting in a parking lot, but the sentiment is all the same. It still implies we're struggling, or going through turmoil (which is true to a certain extent but that's more at the hands of the state than it is society as a whole). All I'm saying is that if we're all equal then let's start acting like it. I'm just tired of bands I love insisting we're victims when in reality it's government policies that have and will always effect us the most.

On 10/16/2019 at 8:15 PM, Shitty Rambo said:

Touché, wrote this briefly while sitting in a parking lot, but the sentiment is all the same. It still implies we're struggling, or going through turmoil (which is true to a certain extent but that's more at the hands of the state than it is society as a whole). All I'm saying is that if we're all equal then let's start acting like it. I'm just tired of bands I love insisting we're victims when in reality it's government policies that have and will always effect us the most.

I can understand where you're coming from, thanks for explaining it more. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, lostcrimes said:

Nice. I'll be sure to hit up the merch table first thing. Mind posting the one you got? Apparently it's a random color sort of deal 

I guess it is random, but I could have sworn I read "blue tour variant" when I bought it. I was quite taken aback when I saw this, haha. I like it though. spacer.png

8 hours ago, DeathPeak said:

I guess it is random, but I could have sworn I read "blue tour variant" when I bought it. I was quite taken aback when I saw this, haha. I like it though. spacer.png

Yeah someone posted one they got a few nights before that was like an orange and white starburst and said the sticker said blue. I like good surprises though so I'm here for it 🤷🏻‍♂️

spacer.png

I love the variant I got. Definitely more appealing than the peacock. Also the venue they were playing tonight has two stages, meaning theres two shows. The other show was some sort of juggalo thing. Juggalos everywhere. Face paint, "woop woop!", the whole shtick. Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

5 hours ago, lostcrimes said:

Also the venue they were playing tonight has two stages, meaning theres two shows. The other show was some sort of juggalo thing. Juggalos everywhere. Face paint, "woop woop!", the whole shtick. Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

this happened to me when I saw pity sex, haha. there was a hip hop guy called Jacquees playing the much larger room, and I had to ask somebody where the line was for the other show. It became obvious when I saw a few skinny white dudes standing in line.