PO SOON: Pelican - Nighttime Stories (6/7/2019)

• 2 weeks later...

I really don’t understand how or why this album is half as good as it is.  Or I couldn’t, until I read that this is the first record where “new” guitarist Dallas Thomas has contributed to the songwriting start to finish.  Dude is Pelican’s MVP at this point.  As a Russian Circles fanboy I never thought I’d say that Pelican has raised the bar and set the shoes for them to fill with a new album this year.  The riff chuggs on this thing are absolutely incredible — like the best parts of Forever Becoming but ramped up and far more abundant.  (As an amusing aside, Thomas is credited as a songwriter for my top picks off that album.)

Texturally I think this is maybe Pelican’s crown jewel, too.  The guitars sound so goddamn sinister and the bass tones rival Brian Cook’s at times.  My favorite moments on this record are when the band either pull back or slow down enough to let a particular riff or tone just soak the listener before building on it or plummeting into a groove.  They really took their time crafting these tracks and providing them with a varied soundscape to shine.  I’m really impressed.

I could see this easily becoming my favorite Pelican album in no time.

On 6/3/2019 at 11:22 AM, Derek™ said:

I really don’t understand how or why this album is half as good as it is.  Or I couldn’t, until I read that this is the first record where “new” guitarist Dallas Thomas has contributed to the songwriting start to finish.  Dude is Pelican’s MVP at this point.  As a Russian Circles fanboy I never thought I’d say that Pelican has raised the bar and set the shoes for them to fill with a new album this year.  The riff chuggs on this thing are absolutely incredible — like the best parts of Forever Becoming but ramped up and far more abundant.  (As an amusing aside, Thomas is credited as a songwriter for my top picks off that album.)

Texturally I think this is maybe Pelican’s crown jewel, too.  The guitars sound so goddamn sinister and the bass tones rival Brian Cook’s at times.  My favorite moments on this record are when the band either pull back or slow down enough to let a particular riff or tone just soak the listener before building on it or plummeting into a groove.  They really took their time crafting these tracks and providing them with a varied soundscape to shine.  I’m really impressed.

I could see this easily becoming my favorite Pelican album in no time.

I’ve never even remotely been into Pelican, but you’re write up here has me wanting to check it out.

Ok just finished it up.  I will say, the main reason why I could never get into Pelican definitely still exists here.  Loud, monotonous, chugging riffs that all blend together & exhaust me by the end of the album.  However, the way some of these songs finish off in the last minute or so breathe fresh life into things & have me wanting to come back for more.

1 hour ago, mrewest said:

Ok just finished it up.  I will say, the main reason why I could never get into Pelican definitely still exists here.  Loud, monotonous, chugging riffs that all blend together & exhaust me by the end of the album.  However, the way some of these songs finish off in the last minute or so breathe fresh life into things & have me wanting to come back for more.

Earlier Pelican doesn’t sound like this at all, to me.  My problem with a lot of Pelican’s prior albums is that there’s too much fluff.  There are well-constructed, killer riffs and Russian Circles-tier chugs here and there... but they’re flashes in the pan on albums like Fire In Our Throats.  There’s just too much wandering and not enough purpose.  I think the songwriting is absolutely tightened up on this new one though.  If anything, a lot of the songs - this time around - take some time to breathe, slow down, and not pummel the listener with monotonous riffs.  I don’t know, I can’t find a weak song on the entire thing.  Even the chiller intro and interlude are great breathers that help retain the flow of the record and keep it from ever getting to be overbearing.  I think each song unpacks at a similar pace, and in a similar fashion to Russian Circles — never in my life would I imagine their songwriting to be on an equal footing but here we are.

Edited by Derek™