PO: Silversun Pickups - Widow's Weeds 2xLP

Digging the tune, will hopefully find somewhere that'll distro it over here in the UK/EU. Need to fill out my other SSPU gaps too. Not released anything that hasn't clicked with me.

UK/EU Folk:
https://silversun-pickups-uk.myshopify.com/products/widow-s-weeds-limited-edition-140g-colour-vinyl-2lp-deluxe-package

Ouch!  £42 all in. Still copped like a damn fool.

Edited by Stress On The Sky

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I haven’t had much interest in this band since Swoon but this is singlehandedly enough motivation for me to check out the single.

Neck Of The Woods is amazing and definitely worth a revisit I will concede Swoon is probably still my favourite. The strings on this single immediately put me in mind of Swoon hence the kneejerk cash dump.

15 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Neck Of The Woods is amazing and definitely worth a revisit I will concede Swoon is probably still my favourite. The strings on this single immediately put me in mind of Swoon hence the kneejerk cash dump.

Nice, I’ll go back to NOTW sometime this week.  Was going to queue them up today at work, after seeing this thread... but apparently they’ve been pulled from Spotify?  Believe I still have their earlier albums + NOTW saved at home though.

NOTW is pretty damn great but Swoon is the last one I loved. Didn’t bother with their last album. I didn’t really care for this single... something about the vocals rubbed me the wrong way? Maybe it’s befause I’m too used to how he used to sound or something. I’ll give the album a shot when it comes out, though. 

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Nice, I’ll go back to NOTW sometime this week.  Was going to queue them up today at work, after seeing this thread... but apparently they’ve been pulled from Spotify?  Believe I still have their earlier albums + NOTW saved at home though.

They are still on Spotify for me. Been playing them all day. 

9 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Good call.  Just checked and they are, now, but positively weren’t this morning.  I guess it’d be too easy if you consistently had 90% of all the music you’d ever want to hear at your fingertips, always.

That's why id sacrifice my dignity and dive to the ground in public to prevent my 160gb ipod classic from hitting the floor.

9 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

That's why id sacrifice my dignity and dive to the ground in public to prevent my 160gb ipod classic from hitting the floor.

Amen to that.  I have a classic that still kicks and grants the satisfaction that only a fully-functioning click wheel can offer.  Lately I’ve been lazy though and just (wirelessly) transfer obscurities over to the phone and play them off that.

44 minutes ago, cantdance said:

Maybe it’s because I’m too used to how he used to sound or something. I’ll give the album a shot when it comes out, though. 

Haven’t checked out the single just yet but it would be appropriate to feel weird if the vocals were a massive departure.  That has always been a really defining element to the band, for me – and probably just about everyone else.

Edited by Derek™

Mcpherson is always picky about his production – not there's anything wrong with that – and I will 100% agree that the grittier atmosphere of Carnavas is something I'm a lot more interested in, and find myself appreciating when I return to it.  Can't fault the guy for not feeling this new single.  It is a little weird to hear them so polished and I'm admittedly not a huge fan of how squeaky clean it is.

But Juan's point is valid – I don't think anyone was expecting 2019 SSPU to sound like they were going to revisit Swoon glory days.  D/evolution can be... interesting, for better or worse.  All in the eye of the beholder, I guess.  That being said, I think the song has some great hooks and does some cool things.  It won't be scratching the SSPU itch in the same way those first 2 albums (and even Pikul) do, but I'm interested to hear more.

4 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Mcpherson is always picky about his production – not there's anything wrong with that – and I will 100% agree that the grittier atmosphere of Carnavas is something I'm a lot more interested in, and find myself appreciating when I return to it.  Can't fault the guy for not feeling this new single.  It is a little weird to hear them so polished and I'm admittedly not a huge fan of how squeaky clean it is.

But Juan's point is valid – I don't think anyone was expecting 2019 SSPU to sound like they were going to revisit Swoon glory days.  D/evolution can be... interesting, for better or worse.  All in the eye of the beholder, I guess.  That being said, I think the song has some great hooks and does some cool things.  It won't be scratching the SSPU itch in the same way those first 2 albums (and even Pikul) do, but I'm interested to hear more.

To be fair, I'm also super picky about composition. I don't know what this is supposed to be but it sounds like a mess. Different strokes I guess. Would be nice to hear rock bands stop turning into squeaky, Pro Tools-dependent sample-based radio fodder that's rigidly hammered to the grid. I'm not listening to a band with most of the last few offerings from this band. It sounds like a DAW frankenstein of generic instrument samples. Sounds flat and plasticy. Its just gross and its not just the production. Its a production that comes from a set of compositional choices. Even if any of the instrumentation was every played live on this new track, it sounds like it was beat-aligned and sample bolstered and process distressed then polished off to a perfect turd finished in lacquer. Why? Why is this music?

I saw them live on the Better Nature tour and whilst that album gets a lot hate thrown on it (I'd agree it is their weakest) the material translated really well to the live show and yes its a poppy album with a lot of electronics. The thing that got me into these guys was their tasty fuzzed out guitars, their earlier albums and EPs were grittier and I loved Brian's occasional dives into screamy/harsher vocal territory but they were never my go to for heavy angst ridden/gritty music so I'm not fussed by the polish or the softening of edges here.

To call both of their last albums abortions is a touch melodramatic to me but I mean opinions are personal and because of that there is no "wrong answer". Swoon was 10 years ago so if you're not digging this I guess its time for you to give in and let these guys go.

5 minutes ago, daniele said:

I liked a lot Better Nature and a way more than NOTW and i'm very disappointed to have not ordered the BN colored limited edition....

I ended up pledging for the mega bundle that came with a nightlight I can't even use in an English plug hahaha. Those were the days of not having to worry about money. I will say the coloured version is very pretty but the D side etching is very underwhelming.

No photo description available.

1 hour ago, Stress On The Sky said:

I ended up pledging for the mega bundle that came with a nightlight I can't even use in an English plug hahaha. Those were the days of not having to worry about money. I will say the coloured version is very pretty but the D side etching is very underwhelming.

No photo description available.

How much did it cost? I forgot...