PO: Silversun Pickups - Widow's Weeds 2xLP

The lyrical delivery of this first song is very odd, but I hated Better Nature so much that I’m probably enjoying this song more initially than I may down the road.  But I do love the strings here.  I still think their last really good song was that Cannibal song.  I actually wish they would have trended more in that direction.  Still had that grittiness but liked the electronics mixed in.

4 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

I saw them live on the Better Nature tour and whilst that album gets a lot hate thrown on it (I'd agree it is their weakest) the material translated really well to the live show and yes its a poppy album with a lot of electronics. The thing that got me into these guys was their tasty fuzzed out guitars, their earlier albums and EPs were grittier and I loved Brian's occasional dives into screamy/harsher vocal territory but they were never my go to for heavy angst ridden/gritty music so I'm not fussed by the polish or the softening of edges here.

To call both of their last albums abortions is a touch melodramatic to me but I mean opinions are personal and because of that there is no "wrong answer". Swoon was 10 years ago so if you're not digging this I guess its time for you to give in and let these guys go.

That's a fair response. I basically let them go after I heard "Bloody Mary" for the record. I could see where they were going and had no interest in following. I can see now that I made the right choice for myself. The tasty fuzzed out guitars are what did it for me too, man but also their own style of songwriting and general approach to music. Even though they weren't necessarily my go to for the angsty music either it was still nice to have something that was moderately mellow with some kick and some hair on it. Even songs like "The Substitution" which is light and pleasant were just as enjoyable as the faster or more aggressive stuff because it just sounded good. I'm not trying to argue that I'm correct about subjectivity but I wanted to point out that even though I didn't need them to qualify for a particular mood they had carved out their own unique niche and made music that sounded like their own signature sound. I'm just lamenting that they've lost that in trade for sounding like your typical electronic-infused vacuum sealed garbage modern "Rock" "band." Separate quotes for emphasis.

21 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Its what the labels like these days. Maybe some of the kids follow suit.

I’ll need to listen again but that new SSPU track isn’t quite as bad as the latest Baroness tracks or a lot of the Yip releases.

Revisiting Carnavas this morning.  What a record.  You guys prefer it to Swoon or vice versa?  Or are they on equal footing?

Just throwing it out there, Neck of the Woods has some of their most aggressive songs IMO, but they weren't obviously heavy b/c of the electronics layered under it.  I'm a fairly predictable metalhead in that I gravitate towards aggressive music, which is why I enjoyed SSPU first three albums so much.  They're not a "heavy band", but they'll write a riff or melody that's really brash and grating. While I can see why people don't like the direction they're moving, I still have hope with every album that they'll have some songs that follow the themes/tones I just previously mentioned. 

4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I’ll need to listen again but that new SSPU track isn’t quite as bad as the latest Baroness tracks or a lot of the Yip releases.

Revisiting Carnavas this morning.  What a record.  You guys prefer it to Swoon or vice versa?  Or are they on equal footing?

I don't think I've even listened to the studio recording of either of the new Baroness tracks yet. Will Yip tends to churn out albums that end up mixed and mastered thin and fake sounding but the last mwY actually kept a lot of depth and ambiance by comparison to Pale Horses. Brother, Sister on the other hand has mega depth.

For me its Carnavas over Swoon. Swoon is great but not as great.

3 minutes ago, patreeeek said:

So the colored vinyl pre-order originally said limited to 800, with the first 500 having an autographed insert. Now that link is dead and they made a new one that doesn't say how many there are. 

When I checked last night they changed it form 800 to 1,000.

41 minutes ago, zuck said:

Swoon is probably my favorite, but then again, I don't always mind things being a little top heavy.

Swoon’s first half is my fav stretch of songs from them but after Panic Switch it’s very forgettable.  I just listened to Carnavas again & enjoyed it start to finish.

1 hour ago, mrewest said:

Swoon’s first half is my fav stretch of songs from them but after Panic Switch it’s very forgettable.  I just listened to Carnavas again & enjoyed it start to finish.

I can kinda see that, but I do really like Sort Of & Substitution. I will also second that Bloody Mary sucks, but NOTW is a great album despite it.

12 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

I ended up pledging for the mega bundle that came with a nightlight I can't even use in an English plug hahaha. Those were the days of not having to worry about money. I will say the coloured version is very pretty but the D side etching is very underwhelming.

No photo description available.

I got that bundle. The vinyl is still sealed and the night light was never used because it’s a 2pin plug 🙄

7 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Fuck man Bloody Mary is easily the worst song on Neck Of The Woods and is a terrible indicator of the album as a whole.

I've since listened to the rest of that album and for my purposes it turned out that "Bloody Mary" told me everything I needed to know about how that album would be and it did not suit me at all. 

• 3 weeks later...