PO: Silversun Pickups - Widow's Weeds 2xLP

• 5 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, mrewest said:

Very curious what everyone thinks of this.

I’m not in love with it but I also knew I wouldn’t be.  I think that the people who hate the polish and pop approach of their last few albums are gonna’ have a really bad time with this one.  Too early for me to form a definitive take on one listen but there are some decent ideas present.  I just don’t know if the entire package will be enough for me to warrant a spot on my shelf.

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I’m not in love with it but I also knew I wouldn’t be.  I think that the people who hate the polish and pop approach of their last few albums are gonna’ have a really bad time with this one.  Too early for me to form a definitive take on one listen but there are some decent ideas present.  I just don’t know if the entire package will be enough for me to warrant a spot on my shelf.

I honestly can’t decide if I really liked it or am pretending to like it.  They definitely got back to their gazey roots a bit which is great but they totally think they’re a pop band now.  It’s basically poppy shoegaze.  There was no real standout song first time through but there wasn’t anything I disliked either.  I think this one will really grow on me.  But who knows.

Not gonna lie I've only gone through it once so far because it's dropped on the same day as Cave In and Drowse and the moods of both of those make this very jarring. That said I have enjoyed what scant time I've shared with it. Lots of gnarly bass from Nikki and even some nice guitars peppered throughout. Not the return to reverb fuzz land many want, but tbh I don't know how anyone can have expected it to be. It's poppy and crisp but moodier than it's predecessor and I have no regrets dropping money on it, hopefully they bring the tour to the UK again.

Also initial standout would have to be Songbirds.

Edited by Stress On The Sky

7 hours ago, nyhi said:

What was the retail price on the colored deluxe?

Trying to gauge how much I’m about to overpay for it. Thanks.

I know it was £40 and labels/artists normally just pretend the dollar and the pound symbol are interchangeable so I'd guess $35-$40 delivered. Before you dive in I'd definitely see if you can spy a photo of the actual packaging. I can post a few photo's of mine when I'm home if not. The reason I say this is because it's in  a silkscreened cardboard envelope, it's a touch delicate and may prove annoying as far as taking it out to play goes. Not a problem for myself but I'm sure some folks would probably take issue with it and second hand at an inflated rate it may be a bitter pill to swallow.

51 minutes ago, nevelsaynevels said:

Dig the hell out of this record and the packaging is legit as well. 

I agree on all counts having spent more time with it, the only track I'm still not 100% sold on is Don't Know Yet and I'm still not skipping it when I listen to the album. Some seriously catchy moments on this record love the deluxe versions presentation, sure some people may be unimpressed hence my previous comments to @nyhi. I was lazy last night but some champ has done the hard work for me and uploaded accurate images on discogs of what I mean by box/envelope:

Front (Due to screenprinting results may vary)

R-13738250-1560281693-7818.jpeg.jpg

Back 

R-13738250-1560281444-6299.jpeg.jpg

Inside

R-13738250-1560281444-5110.jpeg.jpg

So basically what I was failing to describe is that its all held together by just flaps and folds. The records themselves come in plain white poly sleeves. The main issue second hand buyers will likely face is really just down to transit I could see bends & creases happening if the item wasn't packed correctly or is just handled like a dingus. There is also I suppose the possibility that the records could roll around in the cover and get damaged as there is space enough inside for that to happen.

That said mine got here in perfect condition and plays very well.

Lucky. Mine has a bent edge and a 1.25” seam split. Those records just flop around inside. They should have added a piece of cardboard or even just a regular vinyl sleeve inside of the screen printed one. When I picked up the package from my front door I felt the records moving and was like “oh no.”

17 minutes ago, andrewlucas said:

Lucky. Mine has a bent edge and a 1.25” seam split. Those records just flop around inside. They should have added a piece of cardboard or even just a regular vinyl sleeve inside of the screen printed one. When I picked up the package from my front door I felt the records moving and was like “oh no.”

Yeah I figure it'll be luck of the draw with anyone yet to physically have it in hand. Beautiful item but very delicate and could definitely done with extra padding inside to prevent the records moving about. Still the hobby wouldn't be the same without rolling those dice :P

Edited by Stress On The Sky