PO: State Faults - Clairvoyant (6/21/2019)

On 6/27/2019 at 9:33 PM, omik11303 said:

It’s rare that a skramz record has such distinguishable songs but Clairvoyant is the exception. Seriously so good. I can only hope an east coast tour is in the works.

I truly hope that I’m reading this thread right and you’ve gotten into these guys just by this album/VC thread. If I’ve turned even one guy onto this band that would make my day.

I usually can't stand skramz but these guys are the exception. Loving this album and Resonate. 

This thread definitely turned me onto them. We seem to have pretty similar music tastes so I usually keep an eye out when you post something I haven't heard of. This band rules.

• 3 years later...

Gotta imagine with COVID too and the effect of it on the music industry as a whole, smaller touring bands realized it is no longer as profitable or totally safe to tour as consistently as they used to. I have noticed a lot of bands that are still technically active are taking much longer between releases than was usual for them.

Even the bigger bands are only doing a tour or two a year, whereas they used to tour like 9-10 months out of the year before COVID. It has had such a bigger impact then I think people realize.

I’m not doubting or downplaying the impact of Covid on bands and the music industry by any means.  But in the past 2-3 years, I feel like State Faults is probably the only one I follow who’s been teasing a new material - either done or “so close” - that actually hasn’t delivered it, or dropped a single, or… anything.  Everyone else seems fine dropping new music with “vinyl coming later” or a 9 month PO. 🤷‍♂️ Not trying to be an asshole here, there could be a number of personal reasons preventing them from actually pulling the trigger on a new album drop.  They’ll do it when and if the time is right for them, and no amount of whining on the internet will adjust that timeline.  I get that.  Just hope they’re not waiting for some stars to align where Covid is nonexistent, all venues are open, and pressing plants are miraculously freed up with no delays, before announcing a new album or single.

9 hours ago, drewberinger said:

probably the whole vinyl production issue stuff - same reason why the new Infant Island record isn't out yet

Infant Island thing is unrelated. Follow them pretty obsessively lately (new favorite band?). They just barely finished up masters about a week ago. Also pretty sure they're timing everything around Alex's schedule since he's trying to focus on his PhD right now.

• 1 month later...

Do not know what it is about No Sleep bands, but they seem to take forever to release material. Think they are in the waiting for vinyl game, among other things im sure. Gatherers signed to them in May 2020, and were slated to release their new album at the end of that year, and it just came out last month, two years later. Vinyl was pre-COVID shipping estimate though. September announcement, beginning of November street date shipping. 

Edited by dapeebs

I'll be real I really don't think bands should be working with No Sleep considering all I've seen from them is headaches and delays for years, even since well before Covid. There's labels out there that feel like they'd be better than this. I'm not an insider so I'm sure there's plenty of (somewhat) reasonable reasons behind these things, but I don't think No Sleep have been a reliable label in a while. Just my two cents.

On 12/16/2022 at 5:59 AM, deer said:

I'll be real I really don't think bands should be working with No Sleep considering all I've seen from them is headaches and delays for years, even since well before Covid. There's labels out there that feel like they'd be better than this. I'm not an insider so I'm sure there's plenty of (somewhat) reasonable reasons behind these things, but I don't think No Sleep have been a reliable label in a while. Just my two cents.

Hot Mulligan and Jail Socks openly talked shit about their business practices while being active bands on their roster. They didn't get paid, nobody could get their records, and yet all that money was going somewhere (to Chris.)  

It seems like every 2 or 3 years there's a new crop of naive enough bands to come around who don't know that No Sleep is a joke and No Sleep manages to pull a few decent emo bands and people think they're having a revival. Then bands flop, don't get paid, or Chris discounts their merch to 75% off once a month and nobody gets it mailed to them, and people starting talking online about it all not adding up. Then Chris finds people on Twitter and Reddit talking shit about his label and he makes a sappy Twitter thread about how all of people's complaints aren't any of his fault and that he's having a tough time and things aren't like they used to be. Rinse and repeat.

"Got an order #?"

Edited by porkdad

• 1 year later...