Bandcamp to start pressing vinyl

Rip

Vaguely reminds me of Los Angeles venues like the Whiskey-A-Go-Go getting eager acts to essentially agree to personally buy a sold out shows’ worth of tickets off their misguided hope of reselling them to a fan base that doesn’t exist. This happened to my little brother when he was 15 and my mom made me drive him back to their office and make them cancel the contract. They refused at first but they couldn’t really argue much since he was under 18 and it had been less than 24 hours since him and his HS friends signed it. Lol.

21 hours ago, Oblivions said:

Vaguely reminds me of Los Angeles venues like the Whiskey-A-Go-Go getting eager acts to essentially agree to personally buy a sold out shows’ worth of tickets off their misguided hope of reselling them to a fan base that doesn’t exist. This happened to my little brother when he was 15 and my mom made me drive him back to their office and make them cancel the contract. They refused at first but they couldn’t really argue much since he was under 18 and it had been less than 24 hours since him and his HS friends signed it. Lol.

Except that no one is on the hook if it doesn't work out.

If not enough people buy it, everyone gets a refund, that's handled by Bandcamp automatically.  Ala Kickstarter.  The shitty thing about Kickstarter for records is that it was always a situation where the album isn't recorded yet, and Kickstarter doesn't do anything except provide the sales platform.  So it was up to the artists to arrange everything, price it out, and deal with delays or problems.  On top of that it was usually a pre-order of a pre-order, so sometimes people would wait years to receive their product.

You give Bandcamp the audio and artwork, they literally handle the rest.  It's a much better setup.   I'm not super familiar with Qrates but it sounds like it's a similar platform, however Bandcamp has the added advantage of being a music listening/discovery platform that people are already using.

It definitely will result in some overpriced LPs, but presumably of albums that wouldn't have otherwise have been pressed.  So whatever?