Fire insurance claim for my vinyl

2 hours ago, EGsynergy said:

Fuck this makes me want to catalog my record collection. I have a fairly large collection with a ton of valuables and I’d hate for it to go to shit in a fire. I’m so lazy I barely got around to alphabetizing the collection though... then again that might make this whole process easier.

Same here! I've only cataloged 500 of roughly 3000+ of my collection on discogs. My median value is estimated at $8,600. I suspect this is a great time to insure... I'd hate to lose everything and not have any way to replace. Fuck I'm scared now...

I called my renters insurance (through Progressive) last year to finally ask about adding a rider of some sorts since my discogs value is getting pretty high and they said that LP records were not something that they needed anything extra for which really surprised me. I took a lot of pics (with detailed ones of the big ticket items) just in case.

FWIW for anyone thinking theirs is insured, the home insurance company I got a quote off wouldn't accept discogs as a valuer of my collection and wanted it done by a professional valuer as the value was over $10k. Worth checking with your insurer instead of assuming. Usually collections of anything are done as a value of the whole, unless the individual item is over the minimum value (which is $10k here).