P.O. - Remo Drive - Natural, Everyday Degradation

6 minutes ago, dapeebs said:

Always associated these guys with the cringey emo that has been coming out lately for some reason, but was pleasantly surprised by the singles.  

I have a grudge against this band but I'll check out the singles cuz I've liked one or two of their songs in the past

1 minute ago, DecayToDeath said:

I have a grudge against this band but I'll check out the singles cuz I've liked one or two of their songs in the past

Only reason I've heard of these guys prior to today is seeing their first record go for crazy money on the secondhand market and their songs have always popped up in my spotify recommended playlist for Oso Oso. Most of the bands in that recommended usually are a bit too whiney for me and thought these guys were more of the same. 

What's your beef with 'em?

3 hours ago, dapeebs said:

What's your beef with 'em?

Part of it is that their first record was mega-hyped up and I thought it was incredibly forgettable, and that's fine, but they're so popular that they're one of the frontrunners of what the sound that the current scope of emo & DIY are chasing, so as a result, we end up with a lot of really disingenuous fluff like them starting to be more popular than the bands I tend to care more about in the emo scene.

Another part of it is that the worst show I've ever been to (Sorority Noise headlining) was as bad as it was mostly because of them. Some of the other details aren't as relevant, but as for the ones that relate directly to Remo Drive:

- Their set was lame. They played really boring and didn't have any energy or presence.

- The songs they were playing didn't do anything for me to begin with.

- The crowd they attracted was just the absolute worst kind of person. Probably their first show for a lot of them. The kinds of people who have no idea how to stage-dive but try to anyway and end up air-kicking someone in the head (this happened to me during the RD set), and the kinds of people who don't know how or when to mosh so they just pack together like sardines and rock the entire room back and forth.

These things combined put them at the top of my list of "bands I hate more than anything", a title they claimed over The Front Bottoms and Modern Baseball.

ALL THAT BEING SAID--

I like both of the new songs. Two Bux has been stuck in my head all day. So even with a grudge, I have an open mind.

• 4 months later...