1st turntable

I'm not much of an audiophile, but I was browsing in a shop the otherday, and really liked the idea of collecting vinyl records.

I was aiming to keep things cheap and stay under £100, but after a little reading, I thought if I'm going to do this, I best splash some cash.

Would I be able to get a respectable turntable for around £300.
Looked through a load of reviews tonight and at the moment, I'm thinking about the Sony PSHX500, since it's down to £250 on Amazon.

I'm also a bit clueless on what speakers to get.

people will have better TT's but as an entry TT i can't recommend the Audio-Technica LP-60 enough. It's cheap enough for "dip your toe" territory, but it's also a very good (if non-upgradeable) quality TT.

i have the LP-60 into Klipsch R-51PM speakers with a Klipsch R-120 sub-woofer (all gifted from my wife over time) and love the setup.

I would recommend the Rega Planar 1 aka P1.

I don't own one but have heard it and P3 when I was researching an upgrade from my Pro-Ject.

In retrospect, I should have gone with a Rega instead of a Pro-Ject as my first new turntable. The Pro-Ject wasn't bad but it seemed of lower quality in sound and build compared to the Rega.

Well below your budget at £250 and made in the UK, which might prove helpful as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rega-Planar-Turntable-Gloss-Black/dp/B01KLQBCPY/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=23BXJ3UERQRZJ&keywords=rega+turntable&qid=1556206460&s=gateway&sprefix=rega+t&sr=8-3

I ultimately went with a Mofi over Rega as an upgrade but that's another level up.