PO: Taylor Swift - 'Lover' - Out on 8/23 (2xLP out on 11/15) / Right Now: "ME!" 7" Single

TWO sure-fire, can't-miss, super-hyped, no-promotional-expense-spared singles released from the new TS album.........

TWO singles that both missed #1 thanks to "Old Town Road."

I knew Swifty-T would fall off the mountain eventually. Just didn't expect it would be at the hands of a 20-year-old kid, an old NIN sample, and the guy who did "Achy Breaky Heart."

14 hours ago, timsimmons said:

I know it’s tough to feel sorry for TS when you’re a cynic, but all musicians should be able to own their tunes. 

And yet 99% of all musicians don't, including practically EVERYONE who recorded music for major labels before the era of "give away music for free, make it back on monetizing brand." (Lookin' at you, Chance The Rapper.)

I mean, Paul McCartney spent DECADES trying to get the rights to his masters. The Stones are worth several billion and they STILL don't own anything before 1971. Metallica was smart enough to get back their masters when they negotiated a new contract with their existing label.... It seems a no-brainer that Taylor would do the same. Methinks she got an INSANE deal from a rival label that more than offsets her ownership of her masters, but in a classic Swifty-T move, she's going on social media to act like the victim anyway and win the war of public support.

She did say Big Machine offered her one classic album rights for every new album she put out. So that meant she needed to record 6 albums to get back her first 6. Thats kinda fucked. Especially since she could probably have afforded to buy them back for the $300m they cost and adult named Scooter.

My reading of the situation is that she couldn't get control of her work because the people who owned it wouldn't sell it to her. The industry is fucked for sure but I think it's a pretty unique situation because she's such a big artist. She says in her statement that she expected they'd get sold to someone, it seems she's more upset that it's being sold to this industry dude.

She didn’t mind using a ton of the labels money before she was a star to record, tour and see her music promoted. The label made a smart investment and now she is basically saying that since the label wont just “be nice to her” and let her have her masters that they’re “bullying” her. Meanwhile, her narrative has sparked uninformed people to ACTUALLY bully people. 

Terrible look for her and another L in her cringeworthy album promotion..then again were talking about her so maybe it’s a W after all....