Best Ever Math Rock Album

3 minutes ago, Dougie Jones said:

I really enjoy Piglet.  They have an EP called Lava Land. I THINK it's math rock? Please excuse me, I'm no expert in math rock (or anything for that matter)

I came here to say Piglet - Lava Land

Also Don Caballero - American Don

Probably the wrong board, and more fit for Everything Else.  But I seldom get to chat about it so here goes.

New Lost in the Riots dropped today.  Really enjoying it on the first few listens.  Followup to 2014’s Move On, Make Trails which is just about as summer appropriate, feel-good, riff happy as it gets.  The new record is a little less cheery but equally energetic, I dig it.

In a very similar vein, And So I Watch You From Afar.  A little more on the bombastic side with huge guitar sounds as opposed to some of the most subdued ones posted so far.  Their S/T is a gem and entirely worth checking out.  It’s also getting a repress in the coming months after being OOP for a decade and costing triple digits on Discogs.  Try them out so you don’t sleep on the repress when it happens.  Pretty pivotal in my appreciation for the genre and many other “post-“ genres.

Everyone is sleeping on Totorro, out of France.  A little less metal influenced than either of the above bands, if that’s your cup of tea.

The Mercury Program due away with a lot of the distorted,  crunchy guitars and incorporate some jazzy drumming.  Worth trying out if you’re looking to math & chill.  Tommy beat me to it as I was typing this paragraph.

Don Caballero and Hella are forces be reckoned with but admittedly pretty dense if you’re just trying to explore the genre out of the gate.  Hopefully something in this post strikes your fancy, to begin with.

Check out Clever Girl too.  They only dropped one EP before dissolving but it’s pretty slick, and incorporates a lot more brass than you’d typically hear with your math rock.

Vasudeva and Giraffes? Giraffes! are both pretty nice, too.  The latter of which really sparked my interest in the genre with their first 2 releases.

19 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Check out Clever Girl too.  They only dropped one EP before dissolving but it’s pretty slick, and incorporates a lot more brass than you’d typically hear with your math rock.

Vasudeva and Giraffes? Giraffes! are both pretty nice, too.  The latter of which really sparked my interest in the genre with their first 2 releases.

Love that Clever Girl EP. Don't understand why brass is so under utilized in math rock. Or any rock/alternative subgenre for that matter.

Pretty generic, but I gotta say my favorite would have to be TTNG Animals. There's just something about that album that draws me in. I never get sick of it. Gonna have to check out all the suggested here though. Love the genre but have never really diversified what bands within it that I listen to.