Best Ever Math Rock Album

On 4/26/2019 at 5:19 PM, Dougie Jones said:

You ever see them live? I saw them once at the beat kitchen and the fireside bowl ...I'm 99% sure on that. Damn, I was just a kid. I thought they were musical gods at the time. 

I got to see the reunited version of Don Cab in 2006 on the World Class Listening problem tour which was amazing! It was in a tiny venue in Toronto for $8.  I do wish I could have seen the original line up though. 

*Edit* I realize now you meant Piglet not Don Cab. I was wish I could have seen Piglet but they never came up to Canada I don't think.

Edited by chunkrock

12 hours ago, Karpatenhunde77 said:

Not math (except Don Cab)

12 hours ago, Karpatenhunde77 said:

Not math (except Don Cab)

I mean...yeah they are? For years and years Slint was one of the main bands people would mention when someone would ask what sort of bands play math rock.

Something doesn't have to be as fast and disjointed as Hella to be considered mathy. I've seen at least a few people in this thread mention how broad a spectrum this genre covers, so for you to come in and definitively calls bands that fall within the bounds of math rock "not math" baffles me.

2 hours ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

I mean...yeah they are? For years and years Slint was one of the main bands people would mention when someone would ask what sort of bands play math rock.

Something doesn't have to be as fast and disjointed as Hella to be considered mathy. I've seen at least a few people in this thread mention how broad a spectrum this genre covers, so for you to come in and definitively calls bands that fall within the bounds of math rock "not math" baffles me.

I thought maybe he was mocking me since I have sadly kind of been that guy in this thread. haha

but yeah, personally, I think most of those "not math" bands ARE Math Rock. Like, I get that they arent using capos, tapping every 5 seconds, and playing in 11/4. But thats like what the genre is now, you know? It didnt used to be that way. idk.

15 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Chiming in to report that Lynx is the shit.  Felt like a slightly more melodic and accessible Don Caballero.  But anyone who's into math rock knows that repeated listens are where the real magic happens, so I'm keen to spend some more time with it.

DUDE! So glad you like them! As mentioned earlier by @BarryZeto  , their EP is also extremely good and worth searching out. Back in the day, they had a entire live concert on their posthumous Myspace (haha) page. But i believe it had been uploaded directly to Myspace. So i dont think it exists anymore.

edit: initially i only found one track from the live show on YouTube, but then I found this user that has every song from the aforementioned live  set. Idk what the order was, but at least you can see them live.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmFbgyxUf4p90W6hj_gzZ7A

Edited by buddha4281

20 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

What's the consensus on Math-core? 

Definitely a toss up between Broker and the now sadly defunct Nitkowski for my faves.

*Silently awaits my crucifixion*

I am not personally familiar with math-core as a genre i suppose. I listen to Converge, Botch, Coalesce, etc. But from the sounds of this, thats something different all together. 

Thank you for posting these bands. I'm going to check both of them out!

I've got a few recommendations for current Canadian Math Rock bands that sound mostly influenced by late 90's early 2000's math rock and not "Math Core" stuff.

Baby Labour - from Guelph, Ontario. This album came out last year and is all instrumental. It's my favorite album of last year. I think fans of Piglet and bands like that would like this. It's two guitars and drums, the two guitarists use a lot of effects and when one of them is playing lead the other usually complements it with an octave pedal to play bass type parts. 

https://babylabour.bandcamp.com/album/full-legal-stop

Luge - This is another excellent album from last year. Mathy with a killer rhythm section. This one has some pretty weird moments, very dancy at times and mathy a as well. Great vocals on this as well.

https://hugeluge.bandcamp.com/album/tall-is-just-a-feeling

Blessed - This is one of my favorite albums of this year. They are from Abbotsford (Vancouver) BC. I'm not sure how to compare this band but this album has some pretty interesting and sneakily technical passages. Sometimes the vocals remind me of Devo.  They tour their asses off and are currently touring all over Canada and the US. 

https://blessedband.bandcamp.com/album/salt

Edited by chunkrock

On 5/3/2019 at 1:18 PM, chunkrock said:

I've got a few recommendations for current Canadian Math Rock bands that sound mostly influenced by late 90's early 2000's math rock

Yooo. Thanks for all these! I've liked most of the stuff I've heard out of Canada in the past. Weights & Measures, Rockets Red Glare, Blake, North of America, etc. Though those last few are more post hardcore with mathy tendencies. But anywayyyy

For modern Canadian stuff, I would like to throw  Shipley Hollow from Toronto into the mix. My band played with them some years ago and I was kind of floored. And since then, they went from being a 5 piece down to a 3 piece. And their new format is just as strong in my opinion.  

Here's their bandcamp link as well

https://shipleyhollow.bandcamp.com/

Listening to Night Terror by Helms Alee tonight, completely forgot about them.

Hozi is one of my favorite drummers (I've mentioned a time or two); she can play anything. I like that she is using the same kit from ?childhood, too, self-admittedly without gear-lust.

Edit: I'll weigh in on Slint. Yes, of course,  they are mathy, especially Spiderland,!  If none  of the Slint boys ever listened to Discipline (1981) in kindergarten or grade school, I would have to say they developed their sound in a parallel universe.

Edited by drds89

On 4/30/2019 at 7:43 PM, Stress On The Sky said:

Definitely a toss up between Broker and the now sadly defunct Nitkowski for my faves.

I checked out both of these and thought they were decent. Idk about mathcore as a genre, so i cant say much to that. to me they both kind of sounded like mathy skramz like Kidcrash. 

I would also say that Nitkowski (at least the album listened to) reminded me of what it might sound like if Pretend decided to start a skramz band with the singer of Suis La Lune singing. 

But yeah, thank you for sharing these!

2 hours ago, buddha4281 said:

I checked out both of these and thought they were decent. Idk about mathcore as a genre, so i cant say much to that. to me they both kind of sounded like mathy skramz like Kidcrash. 

I would also say that Nitkowski (at least the album listened to) reminded me of what it might sound like if Pretend decided to start a skramz band with the singer of Suis La Lune singing. 

But yeah, thank you for sharing these!

glad you digged it

Coming in way late to say 'plus fucking one' for Tubelord. Math or not, their early EPs rip so hard (I am Azzerad, Feed Me a Box of Words, and even the Tellison split - a lot of which are compiled on Vinyl for "Pop Songs for Rock Kids") and they combine pop leanings with really technically proficient instrumentation in a majorly enjoyable way. 

I'll also present a "maybe" with a great Topshelf throwback on Duck. Little Brother, Duck! Their LP Don't Take Our Filth Away is like an arranged marriage between post-hardcore and mathy emo, even bordering on screamo elements at times.

Edited by bluethumb