Pro-ject debut III setup

Got a pretty good deal on a Pro-ject Debut III w/ Acrylic platter upgrade, Sumiko Pearl, Pro-ject Speedbox II and the Pro-ject Phono Box II. It's all hooked up to my Yamaha AS500 and I am pretty happy so far.  A pretty sizable jump from my LP60.

Anyway, was messing with my cartridge alignment(didnt have to worry about this with my lp60, haha), the cartridge alignment protractor I picked up is the Baerwald alignment, hadn't considered which type of protractor before buying. Seems like there wouldn't be a huge difference between Baerwald and Loefgren but was curious if anyone had any input.

Thanks! Also open to any other setup tips, I've been reading quite a bit since acquiring this setup.

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/13/2019 at 2:27 PM, bluethumb said:

Keep it simple, the Debut III doesn't have a TON of adjustments possible outside of cartridge alignment.

Check out this article for some good pointers on the differences: https://www.vinylengine.com/protractor-user-guide.shtml

Thanks for the article share @bluethumb

what other adjustments would be major jumps in audio quality?

I was kind of thinking with a cartridge/needle upgrade this would be a solid turntable for quite some time. Was kind of curious about, with an awesome needle in this table what separates it in audio quality from the turntable the next price bracket up (in audio quality).

13 hours ago, imnothardcore said:

Thanks for the article share @bluethumb

what other adjustments would be major jumps in audio quality?

I was kind of thinking with a cartridge/needle upgrade this would be a solid turntable for quite some time. Was kind of curious about, with an awesome needle in this table what separates it in audio quality from the turntable the next price bracket up (in audio quality).

You already have the acrylic platter and the Speedbox and in my opinion, those are the two best "out of the box" upgrades you can get for the Debut III (super reliable speed and stability). I have heard great things about the Sumiko Pearl so listen to it a good while before changing, but if you want to try something new I've had GREAT luck with the Ortofon 2M Blue paired up with my little Budgie preamp and it sounds great to me. If you're debating between the 2M red or blue, skip the red - I've heard too many "now that I have the blue, the red..." stories.

I've been using this table since 2011 and it has been a workhorse - a little oil on the motor spindle/sub-platter every few years and it still works like day 1. If you really want to get in the weeds consider upgrading your connects, but arguably it makes little difference at this level of audiophilia. BTW, what kind of speakers are you using? 

Thanks for the input @bluethumb

Yah if I did mess with a needle change I would bypass the red from what I have read.

I went budget with my speakers and just grabbed a pair I found used in good shape for pretty cheap they are Yamaha NS-333

I am looking to upgrade the speakers fairly soon and will likely put these on my patio, do you have several suggestions for speakers so I can keep an eye out for something that comes up?