Housing Picture Discs (with PVC Sleeves) within Polythene or Polypropylene Sleeves?

On 5/3/2019 at 10:14 AM, Tommy said:

AMBPhtk.jpg

ZlrEz9W.jpg

I'm clearly no expert and this statement is from minimal research, but are picture discs being affected? My RSD Glassjaw record had this happen fairly quickly. Your CT record and the Run DMC aren't picture discs either. Is it the dye in the vinyl or a type of PVC sleeve? I have a few picture discs older than these two, still in the PVC  they're clean. 

58 minutes ago, Sanspants said:

I'm clearly no expert and this statement is from minimal research, but are picture discs being affected? My RSD Glassjaw record had this happen fairly quickly. Your CT record and the Run DMC aren't picture discs either. Is it the dye in the vinyl or a type of PVC sleeve? I have a few picture discs older than these two, still in the PVC  they're clean. 

Picture discs have the same problem. This has happened to me on a couple pic discs.

Ok, so I read t through this don't really see the topic headline being answered in uncertain terms.

If I have a record in the PVC sleeve, and then within that in a second paper sleeve or something, is that enough to protect it?
Like is removing the vinyl from direct contact with the PVC enough, or will those gases still work there way into the wax through the paper sleeve?

Thanks,

-Someone who just realized they have a bunch of records at risk. 

(edit) Hard to say for sure, but I have a few 2+ year old pic discs that seem ok, like like @Sanspants mentioned

Edited by V3XED

I don't think anyone knows for certain. There was a huge thread at the Hoffman forums about it and those nerds didn't come to any conclusion. 

Direct contact for sure is the most problematic. Whats unknown is a paper sleeve seperating them. Or being in a jacket with a PVC sleeve on the outside (like those new Stereolab reissues - or those old Simply Vinyl sleeves).

Personally, I toss them all. Its just not worth the risk.

2 hours ago, timsimmons said:

I don't think anyone knows for certain. There was a huge thread at the Hoffman forums about it and those nerds didn't come to any conclusion. 

Direct contact for sure is the most problematic. Whats unknown is a paper sleeve seperating them. Or being in a jacket with a PVC sleeve on the outside (like those new Stereolab reissues - or those old Simply Vinyl sleeves).

Personally, I toss them all. Its just not worth the risk.

Thank you for the clarification, I appreciate it!

I have a few records where the sleeve is un-tossable in my eyes.
A quick example is the latest from Bring Me the Horizon.

Its a pretty crucial piece of the design IMO.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBreHFnvnBreyWVGkMX76

Those printed plastic sleeves are the absolute worst in my opinion because not only are you forever dealing with the will-it-or-won't-it of PVC damage but they almost always have at least one crack or seam split and there's no real way to replace them.

I'm pretty sure I've passed on one or two releases packaged like this just to avoid the hassle...

4 hours ago, timsimmons said:

Thats fair.

Thats right, My Tortoise - Standards has a printed sleeve (Maybe the new National record too?). If they are printed, I save them and just file thm next to the record which is in a new poly sleeve. 

This is the way to do it.  I have an oversized mailer that’s dedicated entirely to (the few) sleeves that have a printed designed.  In case I want to pull them out and revisit them with a fond smile, I guess?  They’re all just chilling in there, gassing each other out.  One day I’ll open it and inhale half of them.

19 hours ago, Derek™ said:

This is the way to do it.  I have an oversized mailer that’s dedicated entirely to (the few) sleeves that have a printed designed.  In case I want to pull them out and revisit them with a fond smile, I guess?  They’re all just chilling in there, gassing each other out.  One day I’ll open it and inhale half of them.

haha, I used to keep these in a drawer with other random music stuff, but recently tossed them. No way I was ever going to actually use or look at them and they were taking up space.