[PO] Tycho – Weather

19 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

man, i thought this album went full vaporwave but then realized i was listening at the wrong speed for all of side A.

the album should've been called Tycho + Saint Sinner, or under a different alias altogether. was kinda disappointing to see them break the aesthetic of the earlier album designs and add another artist to the album while still under the "Tycho" moniker. seems a little out of place when compared with all their other works. 

Agreed on all fronts, more or less.  I don’t hate Weather but I’m also not going to throw it on whenever I’m in a Tycho mood, because it doesn’t satisfy the same itch that prior Tycho albums scratch for me.  It really could be the black sheep in their discography, though — the huge art departure ties in with the direction of their sound.  It’d be cool if the instrumental version has a reworked cover that’s a lot more minimal and comparable to prior album art.

In a previous post I said that I really, really enjoy the closing (title) track on Weather.  It sounds like “classic” Tycho at the top of their game.  Apparently Scott has indicated that the band’s next record will follow that sound, so I’m pretty pumped about that.  Back to their roots.

19 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Agreed on all fronts, more or less.  I don’t hate Weather but I’m also not going to throw it on whenever I’m in a Tycho mood, because it doesn’t satisfy the same itch that prior Tycho albums scratch for me.  It really could be the black sheep in their discography, though — the huge art departure ties in with the direction of their sound.  It’d be cool if the instrumental version has a reworked cover that’s a lot more minimal and comparable to prior album art.

In a previous post I said that I really, really enjoy the closing (title) track on Weather.  It sounds like “classic” Tycho at the top of their game.  Apparently Scott has indicated that the band’s next record will follow that sound, so I’m pretty pumped about that.  Back to their roots.

Interesting. I actually really like this album and am glad to find that Pink and Blue is probably my least favorite track so I was a little worried I’d be disappointed. Always interesting when an artist deviates from a formula and disappoints fans, when it makes total sense from the artist’s perspective to evolve, branch out, and try new things. I mean, How great would another variation of his first three albums really be? For me, His sound was already starting to get a bit redundant with Epoch. Weather is different, so I can see why fans of his prior work would be disappointed, but I enjoy it for what it is, although I do think it could be a bit stronger and might work better as a collab EP rather than a straight up Tycho album.  This interview has some nice insight. 

Edited by Arizona_Is_The_Reason

22 hours ago, Derek™ said:

yeah, Weather is a great track and the other two tracks without Saint Sinner (Easy & Into the Woods) sound like classic Tycho to me. i'm totally fine if their sound never "evolves" and we just get classic Tycho for years to come. interested to hear what the instrumental version sounds like, but even the music on the Saint Sinner tracks sounds a little unfinished to me, almost like they had some scraps that they just tossed her vocals on.

25 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

yeah, Weather is a great track and the other two tracks without Saint Sinner (Easy & Into the Woods) sound like classic Tycho to me. i'm totally fine if their sound never "evolves" and we just get classic Tycho for years to come. interested to hear what the instrumental version sounds like, but even the music on the Saint Sinner tracks sounds a little unfinished to me, almost like they had some scraps that they just tossed her vocals on.

I hear you on that.  But the good news is that the instrumental versions aren’t just the songs we have now with Saint’s vocals plucked out of them.  They’re reworked and revised a bit to compensate for the lack of vocals, which should keep them from feeling hollow.  I’m not expecting a 10/10  Tycho album for the ages but I think it’ll probably resonate more with the Tycho sound we’re used to.

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I hear you on that.  But the good news is that the instrumental versions aren’t just the songs we have now with Saint’s vocals plucked out of them.  They’re reworked and revised a bit to compensate for the lack of vocals, which should keep them from feeling hollow.  I’m not expecting a 10/10  Tycho album for the ages but I think it’ll probably resonate more with the Tycho sound we’re used to.

oh, nice. didn't know they were being reworked. 

19 hours ago, WAXXX said:

oh, nice. didn't know they were being reworked. 

The singles Pink & Blue and Japan both had instrumental versions released along side them, which are a bit diff than if the vocals were just taken away. Would assume the same goes for the other tracks that have vocals too. Interested to see how that release turns out.

Edited by wiscodeman

17 hours ago, JRHews said:

So I got mine today, and it's Clear Pink....could have sworn 100% I ordered the Indie Clear cause the pink was sold out....

It's either I'm brain dead or it's a happy accident...

Either way, its 30/550 and looks beautiful, but 🤔

Nice little upgrade you got there!
I also just got my (intentionally) dinked copy, loving the album and the vinyl.
Really appreciating having it at 45rpm as well.   One of my best sounding records I think.

#165/550

Edited by V3XED

1 hour ago, floyd_z said:

I dig the album with the vocals.  Also heard a little interview with him and Saint Sinner on NPR today.

Also, not to be nit-picky, but Tycho is a singular artist, not a band or a group.... He/Him/His not They/Them/Theirs 😄

:lol::lol::lol:

Screenshot-20190721-143211-Chrome.jpg

Tycho isn't a proper noun either way and that's the only instance your nitpick would apply. There are plural band names that apply to singular artists too, they did it that way to avoid people focusing too much on that singer/songwriter idea.

2 hours ago, V3XED said:

Nice little upgrade you got there!
I also just got my (intentionally) dinked copy, loving the album and the vinyl.
Really appreciating having it at 45rpm as well.   One of my best sounding records I think.

#165/550

Yea man I'm honestly not gonna complain. It's lovely looking and sounds amazing.

Final verdict on the music coming soon though...

I picture a lot of people getting into Tycho with this new album and then getting really disappointed to realize there's no female vocals on his earlier works. 

I like Tycho well enough, but I've always found his music to all sound more or less the same. While these vocals arent my favorite, they sound a bit too poppy and Frou Frou to me at tikes, it does break up his redundancy of sound. It's probably my least favorite Tycho album to date, and I own his discography.  

• 4 months later...

New EP called "Stress" out now. Beats anything off Weather imo.

"I am very pleased to present the first track, Stress, from the upcoming instrumental album. This album and Weather are companion albums; they explore the same core concepts from two totally different perspectives. Stress builds on the foundation of No Stress and expands into new spaces, further defining the message of the song.

I have also included a literal instrumental version of No Stress with only the vocals muted as a bridge between the two interpretations. I sincerely hope you enjoy this release and all of the new music that is coming. I have been waiting to share the second half of the story that Weather started with you all for a while now 🙏

Stress
No Stress (Instrumental)
No Stress"

The whole Stress EP is killer.  Undoubtedly Tycho.  Finally.

Not that I’m complaining in the least, but does anyone else feel like this is damage control of the best kind?  Tycho has consistently taken 2-5 years to release a new album, and we’re already getting an entirely separate “companion” album a few months after Weather dropped?  If there was always a plan to release an “accompanying record”, from the get-go, wouldn’t Scott & gang have mentioned that at some point?

Weather is a fine record.  It’s fun.  It’s breezy.  But it’s hardly Tycho.  While I totally respect the band for wanting to branch out and do something completely new, they seemed to get completely shit on.  YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook comments for any of the singles or album links were just bombarded with “hey this is nice but lose the vocals”.  I recall reading some posts where Scott was defending the artistic direction, but right after those tapered out, it seems like everyone had more or less “forgotten” about Weather.  I don’t think it left even half the impact the band was hoping for.  It sounds like this new album is going to be giving the people what they want after no shortage of arm-twisting on social media.  Anyone else feel similar or am I just imagining it all?

21 minutes ago, Andy Nghost * BOO! said:

I still like Weather and albums like that happen because those artists get to the Coachella level and feel obliged to be more of a pop band (see Caribou, M83, etc.) so that their live act can fit the major festival circuit as opposed to a DJ booth.

That’s fine and dandy, and I wouldn’t doubt it.  Most artists don’t immediately follow up a change to that sound with a supplemental record that gives the fans what they’re clamoring for, so I respect it.  Just can’t imagine Tycho taking this same approach for all future albums.