PO Now: Slipknot - We Are Not Your Kind (Out on August 9th)

On 4/6/2020 at 10:36 AM, Fowty Dollaz said:

I just kind of "grew out" of them.

I knew you were from the U.S. when I read this.  Can people outside of the U.S. confirm the idea that you don't really grow out of being a metal head?  I'm from the United States and feel kind of sad that most of my friends who I listened to such bands as Korn and Slipknot with growing up also grew up and grew out of loud music.  Fuck that, 40 years old and metal head till I die.  Bring it on.  Yeah Slipknot isn't remaking Iowa over and over, but for a band who have become mainstream, their last few albums are bad ass.  Personally, I've only expanded my loud music tastes, new bands, old bands, bands that were big when I was in high school 20 years ago, I'll take it all and still tear up the pit at a show.  But I hear over seas you don't see that as much, this idea of growing out of it.  If you grew up listening to metal, you always will.

And guy I quoted, maybe you just meant Korn and Slipknot or "nu metal" specifically and still like metal, I'm just guessing, here.  Probably making an idiot out of myself that's why I don't post often but I'm quarantined and drinking I figure why not conversate, right?  No hate, it's all love.  I'm buzzed, but not on Slipknot whiskey.

On 4/6/2020 at 2:13 PM, ghost said:

I thought the album was ok. Overhyped tbh. Less bloated than .5 but not alot of standout tracks. Probably my least favorite of their outputs. Solway Firth and Red Flag were cool though.

Come on.  Unsainted and All Out Life (thought technically not a We Are Not Your Kind track) are two of the most fun energetic Slipknot tracks to date.  There were some weak "singing" points of the album I'm willing to admit.  But overall for a radio band, it's heavy and they did a good job.

2 hours ago, verb1999 said:

Can people outside of the U.S. confirm the idea that you don't really grow out of being a metal head?  [..]

Interesting topic. I think it's not really realated to place you live in, however it might be the case that access to music had been better in US than, for instance, in Eastern Europe back then. It's not the case now, when we all have internets and streaming platforms, though.

I see it that way - some people, like me and you, don't grow out of being metal head; some change their taste, some stick to old tunes. I, personally, haven't heard last few Korn/Slipknot/Sepultura albums, but when I listen to it - I still love it. When it happens to be in a concert, I love to mosh (don't have enough stamina to do it all set long, though ;). On the other hand, I remember my colleagues who wore Slayer/Cannibal Corpse tshirts being 13yo and now they listen to radio and some light pop stuff. Not really listen to, just knowing them because they are broadcasted. In other words, they are no longer 'in music' as we are.

Just like with the other things - everyone collects stamps for a while, some do it for life.

5 hours ago, verb1999 said:

I knew you were from the U.S. when I read this.  Can people outside of the U.S. confirm the idea that you don't really grow out of being a metal head?  I'm from the United States and feel kind of sad that most of my friends who I listened to such bands as Korn and Slipknot with growing up also grew up and grew out of loud music.  Fuck that, 40 years old and metal head till I die.  Bring it on.  Yeah Slipknot isn't remaking Iowa over and over, but for a band who have become mainstream, their last few albums are bad ass.  Personally, I've only expanded my loud music tastes, new bands, old bands, bands that were big when I was in high school 20 years ago, I'll take it all and still tear up the pit at a show.  But I hear over seas you don't see that as much, this idea of growing out of it.  If you grew up listening to metal, you always will.

CNIVAHMLT5C4FGUDDLDFO3.jpg
Cariloha
Bamboo Mattress – Sleep Comfier, Cooler, Cleaner / Free Shipping
cariloha.com

And guy I quoted, maybe you just meant Korn and Slipknot or "nu metal" specifically and still like metal, I'm just guessing, here.  Probably making an idiot out of myself that's why I don't post often but I'm quarantined and drinking I figure why not conversate, right?  No hate, it's all love.  I'm buzzed, but not on Slipknot whiskey.

Come on.  Unsainted and All Out Life (thought technically not a We Are Not Your Kind track) are two of the most fun energetic Slipknot tracks to date.  There were some weak "singing" points of the album I'm willing to admit.  But overall for a radio band, it's heavy and they did a good job.

You're mostly right, but I should clarify. I still appreciate and enjoy ALL the music I grew up listening to. KoRn is one of the best live bands I've ever seen. I adore metal (and really all forms of rock). I didn't exactly grow out of it in the sense that "I'm better than that," if anything I'm worse because I do still listen to punk a lot. Punk is, usually, much less complex. Metal's just not something I listen to frequently. I own Slipknot s/t, but no KoRn records. I would still LOVE to see Slipknot, Rob Zombie, etc live. I've seen KoRn, Manson, Cradle of Filth, Cold, and some others once (would again). I still have tickets to see Deftones in August (if that still happens).

TL;DR- I didn't "mature" out if it, but I don't listen frequently and still appreciate it. I mean, I still know and can keep up with Corey on the intro to Spit It Out.

Post Script- I also became more and more depressed as I got older (and life happened all around me) so I find solace in depressed singer songwriter types. Recently discovered Greet Death, kinda fun doom fuzz band from Wisconsin. They're metal, but also satisfy my need to equate music to my mood.

Edited by Fowty Dollaz

On 4/8/2020 at 1:58 AM, verb1999 said:

I loved All Out Life. But since it wasn't on the album, I didn't count it. Wish they did though. I honestly didn't really feel Unsainted. I couldn't get into the chorus and the choral vocals. And it sounds close enough to All Out Life that I end up listening to that over Unsainted.

There were some good tracks on it, but I just didn't think it came together as an album. And just being heavy doesn't cut it for me. There are plenty of heavy bands out there with tight songwriting and well written melodies. And this album didn't quite have that for me. Tracks like "Nero Forte" and "Orphan" start great but have an absolutely awful chorus. "Critical Darling"'s chorus doesn't even sound like Slipknot. 

A problem I have with Slipknot albums is that they're always too bloated. Either too many songs or songs that are too long. And WANYK suffers from the same issue which isn't helped with the addition of interludes that I don't think really add anything. I'm ok with long songs. I listen to plenty of post rock/doom metal albums that have four or five 13+ minute tracks back to back. But I guess with what was offered here I felt like they could have said what they needed to in a shorter amount of time.

I seem to be in the minority, but I actually really liked The Gray Chapter. It has its problems too, but I thought as an album it felt more cohesive (that might explain more about my tastes considering it's regarded by many fans as one of their worst albums). Don't get me wrong though, I'm happy for the band and their success and I think it's great they were able to make an album that so many fans enjoyed this far in their career. 

• 3 months later...

https://www.srcvinyl.com/slipknot-slipknot-lp.html

Only reason why I'm posting this is because the track list shows that it has Get This, Interloper (Demo), and Despise (Demo). I wonder if they will actually be on it... if so I want it. But I'll wait til it's released and get confirmation 

Edited by pizza face

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...