PO Soon (5/23): The Appleseed Cast - Fleeting Light of Impermanence

18 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

So that’s the official album art yeah?  No wonder they slaved away for 6 years.

I also was initially unimpressed, but reading the description, apparently it's embossed. So that will be sweet. Sort of like the Beatles White album where there is no ink, but "The Beatles" is raised.

First song is stunning.

Damn.  Agreed that it has a bit of an “opener” vibe, but I could also see that slow intro being a breather point midway through the album.  Has anyone seen a track list yet?

I do admire how this single screams signature “Appleseed Quality” and yet continues their legacy of never having one album sound too similar to another.  (At least based off these 6.5 minutes so far.)  I’m expecting  fresh, good things in June.

My favourite thing about TAC is how every album has a little bit of its own flavour, it seems already like this might keep that going! It's hard to compare that first song to anything else - kinda got that electronic weirdness like Peregrine did, but also it's pretty heavy sounding in a way I can't really pin against anything else they've done. We're spoilt by this short preorder window, but damn it's still gonna drag.

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

Damn.  Agreed that it has a bit of an “opener” vibe, but I could also see that slow intro being a breather point midway through the album.  Has anyone seen a track list yet?

I do admire how this single screams signature “Appleseed Quality” and yet continues their legacy of never having one album sound too similar to another.  (At least based off these 6.5 minutes so far.)  I’m expecting  fresh, good things in June.

Track list is on the Bandcamp page.

7 minutes ago, Mattallurgist said:

My favourite thing about TAC is how every album has a little bit of its own flavour, it seems already like this might keep that going! It's hard to compare that first song to anything else - kinda got that electronic weirdness like Peregrine did, but also it's pretty heavy sounding in a way I can't really pin against anything else they've done. We're spoilt by this short preorder window, but damn it's still gonna drag.

It sounded to me like they listened to a ton of Earth records before they wrote this album, which I'm not mad at.

Edited by MachoHommeRandallSauvage

6 minutes ago, copelandkid said:

Not rly stoked about the "Arigato" packaging, have a few of these and they're an extra hassle to pack/unpack and protect 😕 Might just wait for the next pressing, which sounds like it'll be in a standard jacket. But I also cannot WAIT to hear this record, the single is thicc

Eh, I can take it or leave it.

To say it's going to be a hassle seems like an exaggeration though unless I'm misunderstanding. Isn't it just a flap instead of an open end? The way I store my records I have to take them out of the poly sleeve anyway, so for me it's not really any different.

Worst packaging for me are those triple gatefolds you have to fold all the way out to get at a record stores in the middle. Fuck those things, especially for single LPs.

Edited by MachoHommeRandallSauvage

Just now, JRHews said:

I fell so hard in love with IR, so that always hold a special place in my heart/top priority on ranking even if it isn't objectively the best. 

There are certain guitar tones that are fucking perfect on that record, I think my favorite example is 30 Degrees 3am.

I gravitate towards Peregrine because I believe the middle 5 songs from Mountain Halo to Song 3 is their best run on any album.

10 minutes ago, JRHews said:

I fell so hard in love with IR, so that always hold a special place in my heart/top priority on ranking even if it isn't objectively the best. 

This album really clicks with me too, (almost) start to finish – do you feel like the closer is somewhat out of place?  I can’t shake that feeling even after 6 years.

28 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Do we wait til after this releases to rank the albums or should we start now?

Bored at work so I'll bite..

1. Illumination Ritual

2. Sagarmatha

3. Peregrine

4. Low Level Owl 1 + 2

5. Two Conversations

6/7. Mare Vitalis / End of the Ring Wars

Almost perfectly in reverse order of release, at this rate the new album will take the #1 spot

9 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

There are certain guitar tones that are fucking perfect on that record, I think my favorite example is 30 Degrees 3am.

Great Lake Derelict for me, that open riff though...

4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

This album really clicks with me too, (almost) start to finish – do you feel like the closer is somewhat out of place?  I can’t shake that feeling even after 6 years.

I agree with that, but for the first half of the song, then it mellows out nicely to close it out. I'd imagine that's the direction were heading with this next album though.

9 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Honestly my real list is just a first place tie between everything that isnt The End of the Ring Wars and Two Conversations.

This speaks to me.

12 minutes ago, JRHews said:

Great Lake Derelict for me, that open riff though...

I agree with that, but for the first half of the song, then it mellows out nicely to close it out. I'd imagine that's the direction were heading with this next album though.

Yeah, you’re right.  It’s just that first half that comes out of nowhere, isn’t it?  A little jarring.  Would be pretty cool if that was indeed a teaser for new material that’s been dormant for 6 years.