PO Soon (5/23): The Appleseed Cast - Fleeting Light of Impermanence

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

Honestly my real list is just a first place tie between everything that isnt The End of the Ring Wars and Two Conversations.

All y'all are crazy to not put Ring Wars at number 1. It's different from everything else they put out really, but that shit is the perfect emo album. It's almost unfair to even include it with the rest of the discography.

4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Ring Wars, to me, is SDRE: Just Not SDRE, the album.  I enjoy it enough to own it but I don’t think it does the band justice for what they’d go on to achieve, even remotely.

Whaaaaaaaaat? Really? I get what your saying but I get no SDRE vibes off that album.

I hear you though, I really don't think it should be lumped in with the rest of their discography because the other stuff expands their sound and does a lot more. EotRW is just possibly my favorite straight up emo album of all time and I discovered it at a time when I was suuuuuper deep into that whole scene so of course it's going to be at the top of their discography for me. :)

Yeah, it’s not exactly aping SDRE but I get the same “true emo” vibes from each, on top of that raw production.  It’s great for a fix when you’re in that mood, so I totally get it.  They do that sound very well and I bet it would be considered a heralded gem or staple of that era if they broke up after releasing it.  I do love that sound and there’s no denying you can hear just hungry they were as musicians, then.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Yeah, it’s not exactly aping SDRE but I get the same “true emo” vibes from each, on top of that raw production.  It’s great for a fix when you’re in that mood, so I totally get it.  They do that sound very well and I bet it would be considered a heralded gem or staple of that era if they broke up after releasing it.  I do love that sound and there’s no denying you can hear just hungry they were as musicians, then.

Facts. ^^

Yeah, I guess I get the references to SDRE now. Enigk's vocals put SDRE in a weird place where I never really think anything sounds like them. Musically though I see where you're coming from now.

21 hours ago, copelandkid said:

Mare Vitalis

Ring Wars

Peregrine

LLOs

Sagarmatha

Illumination Ritual

Two Convos

early sound is golden to me, but I think this new record will play realllly high. stoked. 

edit: dropped the other lists quoted, not picking on you, Copelandkid!! :wub:

Y'all leaving out Middle States EP making me a bit disappointed in the usual VC caliber (and don't tell me LP 's  vs EP 's don't count!! ;) )

I listen to Ring Wars and Lost Songs least often.  

I'm almost complete on this band with vinyl, missing a couple test presses. I have a sealed CD of December's Tragic Drive, too.

Only other two bands I've remained almost completist: Rosetta (missing a few Tests) who are still active, but not going for all variants henceforth, just the beer -- and Gifts From Enola, who are thankfully (from completist) standpoint defunct, but saw them play recently. I predict a new album from them in 2023. Sold off Jakob, Caspian, Russian Circles, ISIS, etc.

21 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Am I misremembering or did Sagarmatha get a pretty underwhelming response when it released? I remember seeing a lot of people say it was their worst back then.

Yes, because it's even more postrock/instrumental than LLO , Graveface may still be sitting on hundreds of black copies, RG's even thrown in free copies to clubbers. Those of us postrockers who were led to Appleseed via LLO tend to gravitate to it and Middle States EP. 

I never found Two Conversations off putting and Peregrine could be mainstream easily.

Edited by drds89

2 hours ago, drds89 said:

edit: dropped the other lists quoted, not picking on you, Copelandkid!! :wub:

Y'all leaving out Middle States EP making me a bit disappointed in the usual VC caliber (and don't tell me LP 's  vs EP 's don't count!! ;) )

noted haha :D 

for my part, I spend a lotttt less time with EPs than with LPs. Also with rarities/collections (hence no Lost Songs). So it doesn't really feel like a fair fight to put em on a list of full-lengths for me. 

that said, i do have a signed Middle States CD somewhere, definitely a solid entry in their catalogue. 

7 hours ago, CaptainHerbalLife said:

Not Amazon but not worth making a new thread over

Some great psychedelic stuff. They´ve got Kikagaku Moyo over there and If you´re into shoegaze, I suggest look into Heaters

Image may contain: text

Same goes for Aurora Borealis in the UK. Some Jarboe, Grumbling Fur...good stuff all around.

https://aurora-b.com/vinyl/

👆🏼 Wrong thread?

• 3 weeks later...