PO Soon (5/23): The Appleseed Cast - Fleeting Light of Impermanence

2 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

Thomas mentioned he did, and I got my confirmation as well. Not sure this needs to devolve into a "got shipping" thread though.

I always hope the first person will mention it and then people will just know they're going out.

Absolutely, I agree. I hadn’t gotten one, and didn’t know if anyone else had. Thanks!

On 6/28/2019 at 11:39 AM, mrewest said:

“The Journey” = holy shit

I thought this repeatedly throughout my first listen. I have been following this band closely since 1998, I know all their work backwards and forwards, and was still blown away. Most of this album is on a completely different level than much of what I have been listening to this year. I haven't been so impressed during the first couple days of an Appleseed Cast album since LLO.

From an artwork and vinyl perspective, I uploaded my photos to Discogs today: https://www.discogs.com/The-Appleseed-Cast-The-Fleeting-Light-of-Impermanence/release/13819230

The translucent teal w/ wisps is beautiful. Not a fan of the arigato-style packaging; seems cheap.

Enjoying the album so far. Def not AOTY worthy imo but I can see why some are feeling it.

Unfortunately my copy has a very weird crease spot. Hard to explain but it's like a very small portion of the record is skinnier than the rest and it's causing some issues with the tonearm and needle. It's bouncing like the record is warped but I can't see any warp to the record. It's almost as off something very thin and heavy was put on top of it.

First time I've ever had to explain a record issue like that. It's hard to see without actually looking at it and see it work on the turntable.

4 hours ago, justin_cole12 said:

Enjoying the album so far. Def not AOTY worthy imo but I can see why some are feeling it.

Unfortunately my copy has a very weird crease spot. Hard to explain but it's like a very small portion of the record is skinnier than the rest and it's causing some issues with the tonearm and needle. It's bouncing like the record is warped but I can't see any warp to the record. It's almost as off something very thin and heavy was put on top of it.

First time I've ever had to explain a record issue like that. It's hard to see without actually looking at it and see it work on the turntable.

Email graveface. They will take care of you with a replacement, no questions asked. Excellent label 

Anyone receive a shipping confirmation yet? 😉

I've listened to this album probably 20 times since it came out and am pretty in love. I only gave this band a shot due to most of you guys in this thread talking about them around the time Illumination Ritual came out and have been obsessed ever since. Kinda gonna catch up on a lot of previous discussion right now, sorry. Feel free to ignore me.

I'm not a fan of the synth 90% of the time, with the end of Petition being the main exception. God damn it puts a smile on my face every time when those drums come in leading into Time The Destroyer. The synth all just sounds like really generic sounding Guitar Center preset tones and I think it could have benefited from some warmer mellotron or organ sounds vs. the Moog Sub Phatty or whatever it is (just personal preference). The composition is there, just not feeling the tones. Obviously it is Chris and crew's vision and it works for them, so I'll live with it. Enough complaints and other than that, fucking Jesus the drums are out of this world and the tangles of guitar melt my brain. The dude really does have a genius ear for finding drummers. Probably the #1 reason I like this band so much. When the vocals come in with the drums at the end of Last Words and Final Celebrations is one of the prettiest things I have ever heard in my life. I read Chris say all of the guitar reverb on the album is natural due to the room and mic placement and that gets an A+++++++ from me. Great engineering going on there. I can't stand when people use really noticeable pedal reverb for cleaner guitars...makes me throw up in my mouth a little as my music taste devolves with age. The 3:45 and on part of Collision is also particularly beautiful. I could pick apart way more as if anyone cares but yeah, wonderful wonderful album. Seeing them in August and can't wait. /self indulgent rant over. I hope you are all doing well.

As far as album order for me. Not a single bad one though and not sure where the new one fits in yet:

1.) Illumination Ritual - this album has an immediacy that is really impressive for a band that was so far into their career at that point. Cathedral Rings is perfect.

2.) Mare Vitalis - Fishing the Sky is the best guitar riff ever written in my opinion and Storms is top tier Appleseed Cast. I wish I could yell like that.

3.) Low Level Owl (pt. 2 > pt. 1) - I could really do without the interludes most of the time but oh well. Just doesn't please my ears as much as it used to.

4.) Two Conversations - I enjoy the tighter song structures and lack of post-rock influence compared to some of their other stuff. It is refreshing.

5.) Peregrine and Sagarmatha tied - I don't really spend much time with either of these, so feel free to school me.

6.) Ring Wars - Album is perfect and way more down my alley musically than anything else they have done, just doesn't have a lot of the elements that make me love this band. The lack of ringing cymbals and octopus drumming bums me out, haha. And I definitely understand the SDRE comparison.

30 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

@Bronchitis mine should have arrived today. My wife will let me know when she gets home

Haha, was kinda kidding because one of you mentioned not letting this turn into one of those threads. Patiently waiting for it to come.

Edited by Bronchitis

Can’t. Stop. Listening.  

Finally have black vinyl in hand...minor bowl warp, slight needle drift, but wax is in good shape! Plucked the random vinyl hairs along the edge, cleaned, listening now.  Punchy drums, outstanding bass tone, yummy piano/synths, possibly more mid/bass than Spotify.  Quiet press so far, good separation. 

This album makes me want to stop everything, lay in the grass, stare at some trees, and drift off.  Or, sand/waves...Oceanic, per p4k.