PO: Cherubs - Immaculada High

I really don't know anything about this band. They sound like a noisy, psych pairing of Mother Love Bone and Sunny Day Real Estate, IMO. There is only one song, but kinda digging it, so far. Seems the /100 is sold out, but they still have the /300 pink. Also, seems like an interesting genre switch for Relapse.

https://store.relapse.com/item/72815/kelly-green-hot-pink-and-orange-krush-striped-with-white-splatter-ltd-to-100

Immaculada High

First Press

700 x Black Standard Gram

300 x Neon Pink Standard Gram *Relapse.com Exclusive*

100 x Kelly Green, Hot Pink and Orange Krush Striped with White Splatter Standard Gram *Relapse.com Exclusive*

100 x Clear (Not available to the public - Friends of band and label only)

Rightfully hailed as “the noisiest pop music on the planet” by Pitchfork, Austin, TX’s cult noise rock trio CHERUBS have been purveyors of sonic bedlam since their inception in 1991. After an unforeseen return to the scene from a two-decade hiatus in 2014, the CHERUBS have now joined forces with the equally revered Relapse Records for the release of their fifth long-player Immaculada High. Recorded and engineered by Erik Wofford (Explosions in the Sky, The Black Angels, My Morning Jacket) at Cacophony Studio in Austin, Immaculada Highis 11 songs of signature CHERUBS clamor with an added twist of Texas-sized, psychedelic racket. Smooth, rumbling low-end rhythms interplay with feedback drenched, chuggin’ guitars, relentless tone and vocalist Kevin Whitley’s shrill, life-of-the-LSD-party vocals. On Immaculada High, CHERUBS loudly proclaim their title as bonafide noise rock legends who continue to forge transgressive yet remarkably accessible punk for a jaded world.

Edited by lexicondevil

1 hour ago, versusexcalibur said:

I had the Kelly green/100 in my cart! By the time I got through paypal it was sold out.  Pink it is

I ordered mine in the middle of listening to the one track. It just struck me as something that might strangely grow on me a lot. Since I haven't heard anything else, it is a roll of the dice. And yet, I'm still thinking of maybe getting a pink, as well...

6 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

Did someone just compare cherubs to mother love bone and sunny day? You must be listening to something else

That was my first impressions from that one track. I just listened to some of their other stuff and it does not apply. I do think this new song sounds different from their earlier songs that I heard.

Cherubs are wild.  The peak of hiding pop hooks within huge walls of feedback and noise.  I'd highly recommend checking out their last LP "2ynfynyty" for those just hearing them for the first time.  Their last record before that was 20 years ago, "Heroin Man", which is sort of a lost gem amongst the AmRep crowd and is definitely on the dirtier/heavier side.