Buy some records. Taking offers on everything.

Nah I'll just share what happened so people can be wary of your tactics next time you post your list:

The NMH box set is available on their site for $100

The Discogs median price for those Everclear records are 30 each.

I offered you 130 for all 3, as people tend to give discounts for multiple records. You said no. I offered you 45 for the EC records. You said no. Didn't even offer any opportunity to counter-offer with something you'd consider more reasonable. All my offers were reasonable. 

You lack social skills AND business skills. Good lord man. 

1 hour ago, Kanye West said:

Nah I'll just share what happened so people can be wary of your tactics next time you post your list:

The NMH box set is available on their site for $100

The Discogs median price for those Everclear records are 30 each.

I offered you 130 for all 3, as people tend to give discounts for multiple records. You said no. I offered you 45 for the EC records. You said no. Didn't even offer any opportunity to counter-offer with something you'd consider more reasonable. All my offers were reasonable. 

You lack social skills AND business skills. Good lord man. 

I'm sorry, I was unaware I was being judged on my business skills. I didn't accept your offer, I simply replied nah, and to be fair that was shortsighted, however, I didn't realize that by rejecting any offers I needed to explain myself to you, or to anyone for that matter, the reasoning behind my thought process. You made an offer, and it was subsequently rejected. It didn't require you to call me a cocksucker bud. You could've just moved on and went about life. These little pieces of plastic aren't that serious man.

Edited by Dusted_By_Space

If you're trying to sell records and tell people to make offers on your entire collection, and someone makes you an offer that is objectively closer to "fair" than "unfair" in the scope of market value (just because a dude listed his everclear record for $70 doesn't mean it has ever or will ever sell for that price) it would behoove you to engage in conversation to possibly share what you would rather receive for those records, instead of a curt dismissal making me feel like I wasted precious time and energy even engaging with you in the first place. 

1 hour ago, Kanye West said:

FYI all this guy sucks balls. I sent him two offers that were fair for the market value and he just replied "Nah" to both without even counteroffering or giving me a chance to counter. Beware. 

that's literally everyone on here that says "make an offer" though..

make an offer = not interested in selling unless you're willing to pay top dollar.

also why I will never bother with those threads and/or users.

Edited by ethereal

4 minutes ago, ethereal said:

that's literally everyone on here that says "make an offer" though..

make an offer = not interested in selling unless you're willing to pay top dollar.

also why I will never bother with those threads and/or users.

And he wouldn't have even known if I would pay top dollar because he never even tried to counteroffer. I got annoyed because I spent the time going through the list, picking what I wanted, looking up their market value and proposing multiple offers only to get hit with one word responses.

And you can see how flippant he is in this thread. Shit person. 

3 minutes ago, Oblivions said:

Not to rain on anyone's dark parade or add more negative energy but what exactly is the danger/risk/issue that we are being warned about? That we might make an offer to this user and it will get rejected without an apology or counter offer?

Yeah, when you go to a store and you're treated like shit, you tell people not to go to that store. 

1 minute ago, rooks said:

When you go to a store and demand $30 off at checkout, because another store you went to once gave you a discount - and then the store has the gall to not give you said presumed discount.....

I'd like to speak to your manager Dusted_By_Space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My guy, hes checked out for the day...Think he said he was going fishing.

I messaged someone recently on here about records. I sent an offer that was competitive in the sense that if he really wanted money he could have accepted it, and he responded saying that he’d probably sell for nothing less than x different price. I thought it was really bold and awesome of him to tell me straight up that he would prefer this other amount. Ultimately, my offer was also my “max bid” and we didn’t strike a deal.  Still, I look back and think that it was awesome he was pretty straight up with what he wanted. In this circumstance, hearing a number coming back my way from the seller would have been beneficial because I’d at least know what you’re looking for. Sure, $130 mag not be enough to get a sale, but what about $145? Maybe the buyer was willing to pay that? What if the buyer was down to pay that $160 because at least it’s the 3 records the buyer wants all shipped together rather than adding $12-15 extra on shipping? Who knows

6 minutes ago, Kyle_ftl said:

I messaged someone recently on here about records. I sent an offer that was competitive in the sense that if he really wanted money he could have accepted it, and he responded saying that he’d probably sell for nothing less than x different price. I thought it was really bold and awesome of him to tell me straight up that he would prefer this other amount. Ultimately, my offer was also my “max bid” and we didn’t strike a deal.  Still, I look back and think that it was awesome he was pretty straight up with what he wanted. In this circumstance, hearing a number coming back my way from the seller would have been beneficial because I’d at least know what you’re looking for. Sure, $130 mag not be enough to get a sale, but what about $145? Maybe the buyer was willing to pay that? What if the buyer was down to pay that $160 because at least it’s the 3 records the buyer wants all shipped together rather than adding $12-15 extra on shipping? Who knows

dude get that LOGIC out of here on vinyl collective we behave like CHILDREN who have never interacted with another human in our LIVES get with it 

1 hour ago, Kyle_ftl said:

can't tell if you're actually being serious or not but how the hell is that awesome
dude should have put that price to begin with instead of beating around the bush like a child 

33 minutes ago, ethereal said:

can't tell if you're actually being serious or not but how the hell is that awesome
dude should have put that price to begin with instead of beating around the bush like a child 

I would imagine it’s because he wanted more than what he told me his low end was, but he realized I was serious about it when I offered what I offered to him, and he respected that. I don’t mind people asking for offers- it used to bug me like crazy, but I’ve done it a few times and once was offered double the price I would have put the record up for sale at in the first place. At this point, discogs medians can typically price your records for you anyway.

"Make me an offer" is slang for "I'm too lazy to look up Discogs' median price, do it for me".  I think that if Discogs is too scary for you to parse through and determine a fair sale price from, you should maybe shave off a dollar or two for making your buyer do the homework for you.  (Note that this is entirely moot if the item has never sold before.)

But median ≠ the end-all, be-all sale price.  There are obviously some neutral factors to consider, like current availability vs. sale history, condition of what's being presently sold compared to what previously sold on Discogs, etc.  But for the most part it seems to me like we're all just going to cite Discogs or Popsike when pitching a price to any seller who encourages us to make an offer.  If I made a fair offer and got "Nah" as a response, I would assume that the seller doesn't particularly need to sell that record – or at least not to me – and I'd shrug, and that'd be that.  I would be annoyed if I was calculating an offer on a wish list of items [3, 4+] and taking the time to determine a fair price for everything – operative term there – and was then dismissed without an explanation or counter-offer.

I guess at the end of the day it just comes down to courtesy.  From my experience, when I've played the Offer game – which I no longer do; seriously just cite Discogs, as a seller – I've always made counter-offers if I thought the price was too favorable for the buyer.  Counter-offers are a pretty big part of the offer / barter system... it's built right into eBay for a reason.  I do see why Kess is salty but unless OP made it clear he wants exorbitant prices, I'd probably feel like I wasted enough time in the PM and wouldn't bother bumping his thread or giving it more attention.

Neutral take.

23 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

"Make me an offer" is slang for "I'm too lazy to look up Discogs' median price, do it for me".  I think that if Discogs is too scary for you to parse through and determine a fair sale price from, you should maybe shave off a dollar or two for making your buyer do the homework for you.  (Note that this is entirely moot if the item has never sold before.)

But median ≠ the end-all, be-all sale price.  There are obviously some neutral factors to consider, like current availability vs. sale history, condition of what's being presently sold compared to what previously sold on Discogs, etc.  But for the most part it seems to me like we're all just going to cite Discogs or Popsike when pitching a price to any seller who encourages us to make an offer.  If I made a fair offer and got "Nah" as a response, I would assume that the seller doesn't particularly need to sell that record – or at least not to me – and I'd shrug, and that'd be that.  I would be annoyed if I was calculating an offer on a wish list of items [3, 4+] and taking the time to determine a fair price for everything – operative term there – and was then dismissed without an explanation or counter-offer.

I guess at the end of the day it just comes down to courtesy.  From my experience, when I've played the Offer game – which I no longer do; seriously just cite Discogs, as a seller – I've always made counter-offers if I thought the price was too favorable for the buyer.  Counter-offers are a pretty big part of the offer / barter system... it's built right into eBay for a reason.  I do see why Kess is salty but unless OP made it clear he wants exorbitant prices, I'd probably feel like I wasted enough time in the PM and wouldn't bother bumping his thread or giving it more attention.

Neutral take.

I mean, I have a sale thread currently asking for offers - with links to all the discogs stuff for my items so no one has to do any kind of research to see what the current pricing looks like.

I'll typically consider 10-15% off discogs median (depending on the item/availability or bundling, as you said) and usually throw in shipping for free. I just don't like to set prices immediately and I try to be fair unless someone makes an insultingly low offer. If it's someone on here I'm relatively "close" with I'll usually entertain an offer that give them a better deal.