PO: White Reaper, You Deserve Love (Elektra Records) 10/18

Love this band, and the new song is... totally fine, but I gotta wonder why bands of this size sign to major labels, especially coming from a seemingly awesome supportive label like Polyvinyl. What more can Elektra offer? A few sync placements in a CBS prime-time drama? Preferred placement in the "hot indie" Spotify playlist? Is it worth not owning your own music and having all your edges sanded down when your next album doesn't do big enough numbers to cover the cost of your new expensive management team? I know some indie labels have distasteful business practices too, but is there a single band that's not at least like Black Keys level that, 10 years later, has said "I'm glad we signed to a major"?

1 hour ago, AlexH. said:

Love this band, and the new song is... totally fine, but I gotta wonder why bands of this size sign to major labels, especially coming from a seemingly awesome supportive label like Polyvinyl. What more can Elektra offer? A few sync placements in a CBS prime-time drama? Preferred placement in the "hot indie" Spotify playlist? Is it worth not owning your own music and having all your edges sanded down when your next album doesn't do big enough numbers to cover the cost of your new expensive management team? I know some indie labels have distasteful business practices too, but is there a single band that's not at least like Black Keys level that, 10 years later, has said "I'm glad we signed to a major"?

I think it just comes down to hope springing eternal. As you say, the chances of these guys making it Black Keys level are pretty small but they're giving it a shot. Their website actually indicated that they became part of Warner music several months ago. Since then, they've had shows opening for Billy Idol, the Struts, Weezer and the Killers. I'm guessing major label support helped get those spots. Whether that will actually help the band succeed in the long run is another question. 

EDIT: By the way, the Nude Party is a really fun band that I'm looking forward to see as an opener on this tour.

Edited by jerseypride

• 1 month later...