Head Automatica - Decadence & Popaganda represses

9 hours ago, dantheriver said:

They’re absolutely blowing through these things! /s 

No chance these don’t stick around long enough to catch a significant discount. I highly doubt the band will promote this at all since they despise Warner. So you basically have to stumble on it and then be desperate enough to pay those prices. Yea.... not gonna sell out.

I was thinking the same thing.  In a couple of months we should be able to grab these at a normal price because they'll be on sale.

Edit:  looks like they pressed 1000 of the pink Popaganda and 500 of the black.  They've sold a collective 21.  

Same for Decadence, but they've sold 22 of those.

Edited by highfives

15 hours ago, FlippingOut said:

I feel like a lot of people have similar sentiment towards this band, any particular reason why you grew out of it? 

At least it took him time, I got over their first album within the first month of it's release and didn't even bother with the second one. Think at that time I was pissed off they put GJ on the back burner, was annoyed by people who put HA songs on their MySpace profiles, and let's be honest, this is pop music with a little bit of Prince influence :D

17 hours ago, FlippingOut said:

I feel like a lot of people have similar sentiment towards this band, any particular reason why you grew out of it? 

It was such a music fad in the mid-00s, and the only reason I paid attention to Head Automatica, Men Women & Children, or Cobra Starship was because they were offshoots of bands I enjoyed.  It was cheesy shit that put a smile on my face, but that's all it ever was.  There's not even nostalgia for it.  For me, anyways.

It's like hearing "Barbie Girl" now.  I used to bump that jam all the time back in the day, with only a slight sliver of irony.  I hear that song now, and it makes my skin absolutely crawl.

Headphone Records, the LA-based indie label specializing in limited edition vinyl reissues, has announced plans to release two classic titles by influential Long Island band Head Automatica on limited edition, remastered vinyl.

2004’s Decadence is the band’s debut studio album which was produced by Dan ‘The Automator’ Nakamura and Howard Benson.

Propaganda is Head Automatica’s 2006 follow-up to Decadance, which was also produced by Howard Benson.

Vinyl Details:

Head Automatica-Decadence (15th Anniversary Edition w/ Deluxe Packaging) on translucent purple with black smoke and 180 gram black

Head Automatica-Popaganda 2XLP on pink with silver swirl and 180 gram black

Both albums remastered for vinyl at Cohearent Audio by Kevin Gray (Jeff Buckley, Miles Davis, Elton John)

Decadence ships 6/28/19
Popaganda ships 8/2/19

Preorder – headphonerecords.net/shop

Headphone Records founder Shawn Carrano says, “After two years of waiting, we were able to secure the Head Automatica catalog from Warner Bros to reissue on vinyl. It’s our initial release after relaunching the label this year. We have more amazing releases in the works. Please follow Instagram.com/headphonerecords for updates.”

two years of wasting time brokering a bad deal with Warner Bros. 

37 minutes ago, hookups96 said:

Headphone Records, the LA-based indie label specializing in limited edition vinyl reissues, has announced plans to release two classic titles by influential Long Island band Head Automatica on limited edition, remastered vinyl.

2004’s Decadence is the band’s debut studio album which was produced by Dan ‘The Automator’ Nakamura and Howard Benson.

Propaganda is Head Automatica’s 2006 follow-up to Decadance, which was also produced by Howard Benson.

Vinyl Details:

Head Automatica-Decadence (15th Anniversary Edition w/ Deluxe Packaging) on translucent purple with black smoke and 180 gram black

Head Automatica-Popaganda 2XLP on pink with silver swirl and 180 gram black

Both albums remastered for vinyl at Cohearent Audio by Kevin Gray (Jeff Buckley, Miles Davis, Elton John)

Decadence ships 6/28/19
Popaganda ships 8/2/19

Preorder – headphonerecords.net/shop

Headphone Records founder Shawn Carrano says, “After two years of waiting, we were able to secure the Head Automatica catalog from Warner Bros to reissue on vinyl. It’s our initial release after relaunching the label this year. We have more amazing releases in the works. Please follow Instagram.com/headphonerecords for updates.”

two years of wasting time brokering a bad deal with Warner Bros. 

Still $30 and $50. 

PASSSSSSSSSSSSS

Here’s what Headphone Records had to say on Facebook about the price:

“Really out of our hands. With remastering, remaking the art for vinyl, and paying royalties before album 1 was sold, we had no choice. Plus shipping from the plant overseas to us, and packaging for shipping vinyl is pricey.”

So yeah.  Doesn’t make me want to pay the price they are though.  Also they said they didn’t get the “digital rights” either so anyone hoping for a download of the remasters will have to wait for a vinyl rip or something.

Edited by Rip

3 hours ago, dantheriver said:

Should’ve bought the rights to Swan Damage.

I know Daryl doesn’t want to release it because he hates WB, but why couldn’t he just release it as a Color Film album? I don’t get it. Those Swan Damage songs sounded cool. At least the ones they did live and in Daryl’s DJ set. 

If they are legitimately being honest about the prices being so expensive, it kind of is a testament to their inexperience.  I have seen people online dangling the first press of popaganda at prices not much higher than $50, and it's not selling quick.  I think if the price dropped down to $30 for both, with a bundle of the two selling for like $50, I'm sure they would sell at least... decently well.

STILL, I view this as an extremely niche market.  Head Automatica wasn't a gigantic name at their peak, and you're asking for $50 for the album that doesn't have their biggest song on it.  I know anything Darryl is associated with is pretty much guaranteed to get sales, but yeah, I'd be interested in Popaganda at $30.  I've been tempted to message people recently selling the first press, offering $40, but I probably wouldn't pay more than that.

Add me into the list of people who paid less than $15 for Decadence years ago.

I remember a couple years back when that one guy came in here with Hidden in Plain View's "Life In Dreaming" and had to actively try to defend his price tag on it... it was like $20-25 range.  This is actually an insane pricetag for those two albums.

2 hours ago, Kyle_ftl said:

I have seen people online dangling the first press of popaganda at prices not much higher than $50, and it's not selling quick. 

I sold mine for $90 on April 27th. Didn't take long, but I have seen some linger. Glad I cashed in.

2 hours ago, Kyle_ftl said:

I think if the price dropped down to $30 for both, with a bundle of the two selling for like $50, I'm sure they would sell at least... decently well.

Definitely agree.

42 minutes ago, pmlevine said:

I sold mine for $90 on April 27th. Didn't take long, but I have seen some linger. Glad I cashed in.

Definitely agree.

That’s really impressive. I literally watched as one sat on discogs for I think $70 for what felt like a really long time. Then, I saw one on a merch blog selling for $55 shipped which I wanted to pull the trigger on but held back. It doesn’t surprise me that it sold for more, but I think sometimes I feel for the buyers who don’t look hard enough.

i’d be Interested in hearing some more of your sales. You had a damn good list of uncommon stuff!

19 minutes ago, Kyle_ftl said:

That’s really impressive. I literally watched as one sat on discogs for I think $70 for what felt like a really long time. Then, I saw one on a merch blog selling for $55 shipped which I wanted to pull the trigger on but held back. It doesn’t surprise me that it sold for more, but I think sometimes I feel for the buyers who don’t look hard enough.

i’d be Interested in hearing some more of your sales. You had a damn good list of uncommon stuff!

I tend to sell what I can on here for below discogs prices median , but not super low. Have a few good buds who I definitely hook up when I can.  If stuff doesn't sell here I throw it on the bay for a bit cheaper than what the highest current price is and drop weekly if it doesn't sell. 

15 hours ago, Kyle_ftl said:

and you're asking for $50 for the album that doesn't have their biggest song on it.

If you're referring to Beating Heart Baby, the Chris Lord-Alge remix is included on Popaganda, which isn't that different from the mix on Decadance. But yeah, $50 for a repress of that album is too much at this point.

• 6 months later...