[PO] (SANDY) ALEX G-- HOUSE OF SUGAR

I first started listening to Alex G with Beach Music and there are some real gems on that album, along with some mediocre material, making for a good but not great album. Then Rocket came out and there are some real gems on that album, along with some mediocre material, making for a good but not great album. I'm like hmm, he's nearly there! Maybe he'll hit the next one out of the park! Not every song can be a gem but it'll be more cohesive and great! On House of Sugar, I'm not hearing gems of the same caliber as ones from the two previous albums. The good tracks are good but not great. Mediocre tracks are still present, making it as inconsistent as the previous two, but not as good due to the lack of killer tracks. I'm just not sure he's capable of a truly great album. Great tracks, yes.

6 minutes ago, jeromium said:

I first started listening to Alex G with Beach Music and there are some real gems on that album, along with some mediocre material, making for a good but not great album. Then Rocket came out and there are some real gems on that album, along with some mediocre material, making for a good but not great album. I'm like hmm, he's nearly there! Maybe he'll hit the next one out of the park! Not every song can be a gem but it'll be more cohesive and great! On House of Sugar, I'm not hearing gems of the same caliber as ones from the two previous albums. The good tracks are good but not great. Mediocre tracks are still present, making it as inconsistent as the previous two, but not as good due to the lack of killer tracks. I'm just not sure he's capable of a truly great album. Great tracks, yes.

Have your heard Trick? That’s a great album. 

9 minutes ago, jeromium said:

On the opposite side of the fence, I feel like everything from DSU forward has been an eclectic array of gem-filled albums. I love all four of his last releases because although he has a certain distinguishable voice/sound, he definitely packs each album with seemingly disconnected styles that end up sounding really great together. I think I love each song on Beach Music, for example. Hell, I like most songs on all of his albums. This new one took a few listens, but when it hits it HITS.

1 hour ago, museummouth said:

Have your heard Trick? That’s a great album. 

I played it just before House of Sugar was released, along with DSU, for the first time. I've listened to Trick twice so far, but not much really clicked. 

1 hour ago, tetsuodaironman said:

On the opposite side of the fence, I feel like everything from DSU forward has been an eclectic array of gem-filled albums. I love all four of his last releases because although he has a certain distinguishable voice/sound, he definitely packs each album with seemingly disconnected styles that end up sounding really great together. I think I love each song on Beach Music, for example. Hell, I like most songs on all of his albums. This new one took a few listens, but when it hits it HITS.

Maybe it'll click more eventually. Despite what I said, I may actually play it again. I played Rocket a lot more than you'd think, because I kept hoping it would turn into something more cohesive, and also I couldn't get enough of Proud, Bobby, and Judge.

House of Sugar is his first killer album, IMO. Instead of circling and meandering around an idea, he hits it head on and packs all the power into a tighter, more efficient package. It *is* less effortful which can read as 'light' or 'lacking' on the first or second pass but it's a masterful album. Once it sinks in, every song becomes an ear worm and each choice hits with precision. I might still prefer his lo-fi indie rock stuff and how it translates live but, of the 'proper studio' albums, this is the first one that realizes the potential he flashed on those 'killer tracks' on Rocket and Beach Music. Stick with it.

Edited by Oblivions

Ok really guys? If anyone can show me a bad Alex G song I will give you my entire record collection.... Can't wait to look like an absolute genius and be a millionaire in 50 years because of my rare records and wealth of knowledge on the world's future most respected musical artist. All I can say is that if you don't like every single thing ever released by this person/band then you haven't listened to them enough, simple truth right there.

Only the sleepers will sleep I suppose

PS. If anyone here is caught using "mediocre" and "Alex G" in the same sentence again I will track you down and fart on your pillows

Edited by raanmaarz