Integrated amp upgrade

I'm a big NAD fan. I have a C388 and it is a solid piece of equipment. I'm not sure if this will be the same on the 3020, but I find the phono input slightly quieter than the digital input on my amp - might just be the way mine is constructed. Not a huge deal, but worth checking if the same thing happens on the 3020

Roger.  I’ve owned the Marantz PM500x, PM600x, and PM800x.  

The PM5/6 seemed pretty similar to me and are a reasonable purchase if you can find one at the right price.  For a while Amazon Warehouse was selling PM5004s off and on for less than $200.  Very good buy at that price.

the PM800x series is a different story.  It’s made in Japan along side the $$$ reference series and is far beefier than the 5/6 series.  The feature set is basically the same with the exception of the 8 series having a power-amp only mode that allows you to integrate it with an AV setup.   This is the route I personally recommend.

You can find a used PM8004 or PM8005 used for around $500 if you’re patient (I’ve bought 2 for under $500). There’s one on EBay now in that range with less than a day to go.

• 3 months later...