Discogs Charging US Sales Tax, Beginning July 1st

Just now, mike said:

Man, if your item has enough interest to get multiple offers coming in just set it to the price you want. If that's the reasoning they SHOULD reduce the time on offers. Haha...

Man, if I list an item and someone throws up an offer within 5 minutes I'm leaving it up longer. So yeah the first thing you came up with isn't the only scenario.

Triple post but I had something listed for $900. I got an offer for $250 right away which I actually thought about accepting because the item had never sold before and I don't know the actual worth. I sat on it for 3 days and on the 4th someone offered $450. I get y'all are mad but leave my offer system alone!

5 minutes ago, fish said:

They are brilliant. Now they are sending emails out advertising  a new tool that will let you adjust the price of your inventory easily by a flat percentage. So they raise their fees, and then actually push sellers to raise their prices so they can make even more money on top of their % bump.

Sickening...

11 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

Didn't that get suspended last year and was still under review or is it definitely in effect for 2023?

I thought that they just officially delayed it until next year and people along with companies like ebay/paypal/venmo are just hoping that they can get congress to raise that limit before then.

4 hours ago, youspinmeround said:

Didn't that get suspended last year and was still under review or is it definitely in effect for 2023?

AFAIK, it's in effect for this year. Last year was suspended. Hopefully it's suspended this year too, but from what I understand they're going to enforce it next year for the 2023 year.  Such a joke to go from 20k to $600. Typical bureaucracy.  

2 hours ago, skycriesmary said:

AFAIK, it's in effect for this year. Last year was suspended. Hopefully it's suspended this year too, but from what I understand they're going to enforce it next year for the 2023 year.  Such a joke to go from 20k to $600. Typical bureaucracy.  

Yes this is what I understood as well. Last year was suspended. But it is in effect this year. So next year, anything after $600 would be taxed. Sux coz I think I'm already at about 2k. This was just a way for me to help fund my hobby. 

12 hours ago, faaip de oiad said:

Yes this is what I understood as well. Last year was suspended. But it is in effect this year. So next year, anything after $600 would be taxed. Sux coz I think I'm already at about 2k. This was just a way for me to help fund my hobby. 

Same here. I only sell to either free up space or buy new records. I never really looked at selling as a business. 

I'm sure this has been brought up a few times, but it's a good idea to log your purchases/keep receipts. You can claim the price you paid for the record you sell as a business expense. It helps bring down the income taxed owed for selling online.

I used to have a custom field in my Discogs collection to track purchase costs, but I've since switched to a simple excel file.

Somewhat off-subject, but while we're complaining about Discogs ... I'm sure many of you have noticed an uptick in scammers on the platform in recent months. Looks like tonight the madness has reached new heights. Over the last hour or so, two scammer accounts have created more than 900k fake listings and counting, i.e. these two accounts have more than 1.2% of all active Discogs listings between them. And yes, they are very obviously scammers to any frequent user on the site, but I guess the idea is to rely on volume to generate as many payments from newbie buyers as possible between now and whenever Discogs gets around to taking them down, which in some recent cases has been a painfully slow process. What a mess. 

37 minutes ago, dnl said:

I'm pretty sure these scammers are hacking old user accounts to seem more legit. The user profiles look years old and suddenly they start listing 100s of items. Stay smart everyone.

I see that too. 

2 hours ago, ParallelofDeath said:

Somewhat off-subject, but while we're complaining about Discogs ... I'm sure many of you have noticed an uptick in scammers on the platform in recent months. Looks like tonight the madness has reached new heights. Over the last hour or so, two scammer accounts have created more than 900k fake listings and counting, i.e. these two accounts have more than 1.2% of all active Discogs listings between them. And yes, they are very obviously scammers to any frequent user on the site, but I guess the idea is to rely on volume to generate as many payments from newbie buyers as possible between now and whenever Discogs gets around to taking them down, which in some recent cases has been a painfully slow process. What a mess. 

So is discogs making a profit from these sales as well? I wonder