PO: Oh Sees - Face Stabber (16th Aug)

Goddammit, haven't listened but everything I'm reading above is confirming my fears regarding their recent trajectory. Smote Reverser's replay value was negatively impacted by the long and aimless "Anthemic Aggressor" right in the middle. They were starting to lose me a bit on Orc already, but at least that doesn't have anything too long. It was bound to happen. Glad this is the first of their LPs in a while I haven't pre-ordered.

And don't get me wrong, I don't object to long songs if there's a reason they're long and they're in the right place. I listen to a lot of prog - not so much recently but I went through a phase a few years back wherein I explored a lot of international prog and that's almost all I was listening to. But I'm also a fan of standard-length albums between 40-50 minutes and anything over 60 minutes ALWAYS includes filler. 

Edited by jeromium

If it’s a double, the track sequencing works out to ~20 min per side, which isn’t bad. Better than 8-12, imo. And you all are either high or not high enough. This is the best thing they’ve released in ages. Rough, ripping & catchy as hell (which they haven’t been in a while). “Scutum & Scorpius” is long but mesmerizing, and I love the way the midsection guitar tone echoes the squeaky-duck “solo” that opens the 1st track. Great album.

Way too expensive though, yeah 😕

2 hours ago, conedust said:

Rough, ripping & catchy as hell (which they haven’t been in a while).

That gives me hope, although it's hard to imagine "ripping & catchy" given the length. Upon closer inspection though, the album itself is very long but there are only 3 songs that can really be considered long on their own, at 7:49, 14:24, and 21:01 minutes. Might be one of those albums where after a few front to back listens, I trim the fat for replay value. I haven't done that in a while. We'll see! Anxious to give it a go tomorrow.

On 8/15/2019 at 12:57 PM, conedust said:

And you all are either high or not high enough. This is the best thing they’ve released in ages. Rough, ripping & catchy as hell (which they haven’t been in a while). “Scutum & Scorpius” is long but mesmerizing, and I love the way the midsection guitar tone echoes the squeaky-duck “solo” that opens the 1st track. Great album.

After 2 listens, I'm actually in this camp. It's quite good and the length doesn't bother me. I'm still more annoyed by the length and placement of "Anthemic Aggressor" on Smote Reverser, and that album is 20 min shorter. These new longer tracks work better. Doesn't mean I still wouldn't appreciate some fat being trimmed, but I like it. Probably my favorite since A Weird Exits.

• 2 weeks later...