PO Now: Ceremony - In The Spirit World Now (Out Aug 23th)

12 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

Man I really don't get this band. I remember listening to the L-Shaped Man a few years back when it got a repress and everyone was losing their shit. This is good/fine, but it's just a really weird. Like I enjoy it but couldn't see myself jamming it in the car or at home. Also why are they always talked about as if they were a heavy band? I guess I just need background. Associated with other bands that are big?

You must not have ever seen them live. They still play at least half of a hardcore set and there's always a pit....so, I guess, git rapped!

9 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

Man I really don't get this band. I remember listening to the L-Shaped Man a few years back when it got a repress and everyone was losing their shit. This is good/fine, but it's just a really weird. Like I enjoy it but couldn't see myself jamming it in the car or at home. Also why are they always talked about as if they were a heavy band? I guess I just need background. Associated with other bands that are big?

I’m assuming you’ve never been a fan of or even listened to “goth” music/dark, synth-y type stuff at all?

Listen to Ceremony’s first 3 7”s and first 2 LPs for reference to them being a “hardcore band”.

20 minutes ago, tetsuodaironman said:

You must not have ever seen them live. They still play at least half of a hardcore set and there's always a pit....so, I guess, git rapped!

Nope. This would make senses I guess. Even a super quick wikipedia read says they toured with Converge and I was just thinking going from Converge to "In the Spirit World Now" would be very strange.

21 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

I’m assuming you’ve never been a fan of or even listened to “goth” music/dark, synth-y type stuff at all?

Listen to Ceremony’s first 3 7”s and first 2 LPs for reference to them being a “hardcore band”.

Sort of, but honestly also hard to reference since the genre isn't very "visible" these days. Will just need to go deeper I suppose. Similar to other artists with deep discographies like MwY or Self Defense Family.

59 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

Sort of, but honestly also hard to reference since the genre isn't very "visible" these days. 

I would say if you're not already a fan of some of bands like New Order, Bauhaus, The Cure, The Smiths, Christian Death, the Sisters Of Mercy, Siouxsie and the Banshees, 70's/80's post punk, etc. you probably wont like the direction Ceremony has taken over the last 7 or so years.

Current bands that have been heavily influenced by "goth"/"dark"/post punk music are very visible and very prevalent in today's musical landscape. There's a lot of great stuff from the last 40 years and a lot of great bands from the last 10 years. Sounds like you may not be interested, but, if you are, you should definitely check out some more "weird" stuff. 

Edited by MyEnemy

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, kill_taker said:

Anyone got shipping notification from First Press for the band exclusive yet? 😕

Not yet. 

Got my Bandcamp exclusive in the mail on the 16th though so that was cool. Got shipping confirmation from my Relapse order and Bullmoose too. And I'll be at the show in San Francisco tonight to grab the band exclusive. 

12 minutes ago, cantdance said:

I feel like Pianos did but that’s arguable. La Dispute and Touché are also trending that direction of straying from their hardcore roots.

I'm pretty sure Stage Four is my favorite Touché release to date, whatever genre that may fall under.

7 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I'm pretty sure Stage Four is my favorite Touché release to date, whatever genre that may fall under.

Supersadcore.

i felt the need to chime in and say la dispute has been the most disappointing band of the last decade for me. So much passion and vigor, their live shows had so much energy. 

saw em open for thrice a couple years back after rooms (which is garbage imo) and all that had been sucked from their performance. New album isn’t any better. 

well maybe it is, I just can’t hear anything but muddy instrumentals and plodding bored ass sounding vocals.

Back to ceremony: This album is awesome 

In case anyone wanted a low-numbers-pressed version of this record, there are still 22 copies left of the First Letter Press variant, /150.

https://firstletterpress.bigcartel.com/product/ceremony-in-the-spirit-world-now

Also, snagged a clear friends press /100 copy this morning. Stoked on that. 

Edited by dork337

6 hours ago, drewberinger said:

the indie store variant turned out perfectly 

1 hour ago, jonnywreck said:

Just copped my indie store variant and am pleasantly pleased. I’ve been ordering indie only variants, since I’ve been working at a shop as of late, and this is one of my favorites this year.

I have a working theory that any variant using a “highlighter” (neon) yellow as a base color will likely turn out pretty nice, and this backs it up.

20 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I have a working theory that any variant using a “highlighter” (neon) yellow as a base color will likely turn out pretty nice, and this backs it up.

Back this 100%. My favorite variant, I think ever, is Appleseed Cast's "Two Conversations." Highlighter yellow base with something like red, white, and black... but it looks like a million colors.

• 11 months later...

It's being re-released in November with snyth remixes for the entire album.  Relapse has it up now.

"CEREMONY's In the Spirit World Now (Synthetic Remixes) see's the band's critically acclaimed 2019 album reimagined with a new emphasis on synth instrumentation."

https://store.relapse.com/item/92738

Edited by IntoXAnother