PO: Chance the Rapper

12 minutes ago, ethereal said:

just like the rumors of acid rap and 10-day that were denied by VMP? lol

Haha, I mean it’s no Frank Ocean. Though it was on Chance’s website—right? 

Edit: At first I was happy that there was no “Groceries” but I just made it to “Hot Shower” and now I just don’t know. That Ben Gibbard feature was cool though. 

Edited by Charles Barkley

I understand it from a business standpoint (more tracks = more streams) but from the standpoint of a music consumer I'm disappointed by the trend of bloated albums with unnecessary tracks. This could be cut down to an album half as long with the best material and it'd still be 40 minutes, but it'd probably also be a great record.

29 minutes ago, DecayToDeath said:

I understand it from a business standpoint (more tracks = more streams) but from the standpoint of a music consumer I'm disappointed by the trend of bloated albums with unnecessary tracks. This could be cut down to an album half as long with the best material and it'd still be 40 minutes, but it'd probably also be a great record.

Agreed. Well, for the most part. Not sure if i would say personally say “great,” but I’d easily give it a “good” if it was cut in half. Though I only listed to this project once, so I’m not going to pretend I’ve really taken the time with it. I mean, do we really need two Nicki Minaj features on one album? I’d trade both of those for a Noname any day of the week. Speaking of features, Gucci did his thing and all, but Taylor B. out did his brother on “Roo”. 

Edited by Charles Barkley

1 hour ago, DecayToDeath said:

It sucks. I get thats not how the kids consume music anymore, but if you are gonna package songs together as a thing and call it an album, at least make the package as a whole appealing. There's probably a great 45-50 min album in here.  But until billboard or the streaming services change what they classify as a streaming album purchase, or services start paying artists better, we are gonna get more and more bloated records. Otherwise, this record is only...fine. 

1 hour ago, Charles Barkley said:

Agreed. Well, for the most part. Not sure if i would say personally say “great,” but I’d easily give it a “good” if it was cut in half. Though I only listed to this project once, so I’m not going to pretend I’ve really taken the time with it. I mean, do we really need two Nicki Minaj features on one album? I’d trade both of those for a Noname any day of the week. Speaking of features, Gucci did his thing and all, but Taylor B. out did his brother on “Roo”. 

Yeah, I suppose "good" is more apt. I still think at least half the material is at least "good" though, I'm really shocked to see just how torn apart this is getting in my usual circles.

15 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I'm finding it kind of funny nobody remembers how every album was 70 minutes to take advantage of the new compact disc format lol. Talking like streaming has changed anything, just last year those 5 Kanye productions released...

I always thought those Kanye albums were short so people would be like “meh, it’s only 21 minutes. I’ve got enough time to listen to it again”. That being said, you’ve got a valid point haha. 

35 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I'm finding it kind of funny nobody remembers how every album was 70 minutes to take advantage of the new compact disc format lol. Talking like streaming has changed anything, just last year those 5 Kanye productions released...

It's not the runtime that's shocking to anybody, it's the number of tracks. The end result is similar, but with the track count situation you end up with even longer albums--Drake's Scorpion was like 90 minutes, Migos had 105min for Culture II, etc.

24 minutes ago, DecayToDeath said:

It's not the runtime that's shocking to anybody, it's the number of tracks. The end result is similar, but with the track count situation you end up with even longer albums--Drake's Scorpion was like 90 minutes, Migos had 105min for Culture II, etc.

Wu-Tang Forever is 27 tracks and even longer... again, nothing changed.

2 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Wu-Tang Forever is 27 tracks and even longer... again, nothing changed.

I'm not saying artists didn't make albums with a lot of tracks before the 2010s, I'm just saying it's pretty well-established (and even admitted by the artists in some cases) that the current trend is to do it that way to increase streaming numbers. I don't think Chance is exempt from this at all.

5 minutes ago, DecayToDeath said:

I'm not saying artists didn't make albums with a lot of tracks before the 2010s, I'm just saying it's pretty well-established (and even admitted by the artists in some cases) that the current trend is to do it that way to increase streaming numbers. I don't think Chance is exempt from this at all.

I doubt that. It definitely isn't well-established because it's just a new reason for an old habit that has never gone away. 

• 4 months later...