PO: Circa Survive - Juturna & OLG new variants

I'd say their last album probably ranks third for me behind Juturna and OLG. BSN through Descensus are all pretty rough though Descensus might be the best among them. I'd say they are on a steady upward climb from the dismal end products that are BSN and VW. I wanted those to be good. They just didn't cut it. 

But holy fuck that new Juturna variant is ug-fuckin'-ly.

Edited by mcpherson123

5 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

I'd say their last album probably ranks third for me behind Juturna and OLG. BSN through Descensus are all pretty rough though Descensus might be the best among them. I'd say they are on a steady upward climb from the dismal end products that are BSN and VW. I wanted those to be good. They just didn't cut it. 

I get opinions and whatnot but you’re saying blue sky noise is bad, so your opinion is invalid.

8 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

What don't you like about BSN? I think you're the first fan of theirs I've heard that doesn't adore that album, myself included. 

6 hours ago, whoa said:

It's disgusting, but I need something that's an improvement in sound quality over the picture disc I have of Juturna, which isn't that anniversary edition (I actually preferred the track listing without suspending disbelief clunked in there).

Have you given it a listen with Suspending Disbelief? Oh, Hello flows so well into it that it makes me think it was cut at the last second before Juturna's original release. 

1 hour ago, dapeebs said:

What don't you like about BSN? I think you're the first fan of theirs I've heard that doesn't adore that album, myself included. 

Have you given it a listen with Suspending Disbelief? Oh, Hello flows so well into it that it makes me think it was cut at the last second before Juturna's original release. 

This exactly. The feedback in how Oh, Hello ends and transitions into Suspending Disblief definitely sounds like it was recorded that way. 

4 hours ago, dapeebs said:

Way too overproduced and transparently a contrived effort to be CIRCA!.... but with more commercial appeal. There are about 3 or4 truly great Circa jams on it and 2 lesser good tracks and the rest is very garbage to me. And from all those videos that came out about the production in the lead up to release, it seemed like David Bottrill was grooming them to be the successor to Britney Spears more than the unique style of rock band that they actually were. I couldn't believe that was the same dude who produced and engineered Ænima and Lateralus. I thought he would bring more integrity to stand by their uniqueness when he actually pushed them to the poppier end of the spectrum. It was a severe disappointment.

With VW I really like the first track but the rest of the album does not keep me engaged and I turn it off not even half way through.

I heard Juturna just before its official release and they blew my ass away. OLG was a super strong album but still a slightly lesser follow up. Then BSN killed my dreams and honestly as I stated The Amulet is the closest they have yet come to the first two albums' glory.

4 hours ago, dapeebs said:

This is personal preference, but after having got to know an album in its original release tracklisting, I just prefer it. I feel the additional track just ruins the flow.

Also, reason why I say "clunked"... is this just digital only or is it also on the vinyl copies: Oh, Hello ends > feedback wailing > track ends. Then Suspending Disbelief starts with the end of Oh, Hello's final drum hit > feedback > then into the track. The flow you talk about is completely lost, really lazy master if this is the case.

1 hour ago, mcpherson123 said:

Way too overproduced and transparently a contrived effort to be CIRCA!.... but with more commercial appeal. There are about 3 or4 truly great Circa jams on it and 2 lesser good tracks and the rest is very garbage to me. And from all those videos that came out about the production in the lead up to release, it seemed like David Bottrill was grooming them to be the successor to Britney Spears more than the unique style of rock band that they actually were. I couldn't believe that was the same dude who produced and engineered Ænima and Lateralus. I thought he would bring more integrity to stand by their uniqueness when he actually pushed them to the poppier end of the spectrum. It was a severe disappointment.

With VW I really like the first track but the rest of the album does not keep me engaged and I turn it off not even half way through.

I heard Juturna just before its official release and they blew my ass away. OLG was a super strong album but still a slightly lesser follow up. Then BSN killed my dreams and honestly as I stated The Amulet is the closest they have yet come to the first two albums' glory.

100% with you on this.

45 minutes ago, Justinadamk said:

These look real nice in real life! 

Despite not being black, that OLG variant is actually quite beautiful like a floral watercolor scene. I'm cool with it but I don't need to have one. The Juturna is still just ugly though. Can't change my mind on that.

That OLG is a true beauty, and I don't mind Juturna either. Hardly ever see a brown record, especially mixed color like that. Also to add to the conversation, I think I might be the only fan of theirs that thinks The Amulet just plain sucks. Love their entire discography aside from that record. It's pretty much unlistenable for me. It's just so BORING