PO: Bon Iver: i,i

From the newsletter:

"Our fourth album, i,i, is coming August 30 via our friends at Jagjaguwar. 

a7889bf6-7410-414e-b393-59602eb1d6c1.png

Recording over a long time at April Base in Wisconsin but finishing at Sonic Ranch in Texas allowed us to feel confident, comfortable, and completely free of distraction. The sense of community around the record grew through honest, generous inspiration within the group of artists involved in the creative process of the record. The thirteen new songs on i,i complete a cycle: from the winter of For Emma, Forever Ago came the frenetic spring of Bon Iver, Bon Iver, and the unhinged summer of 22, A Million. Now, fall arrives early with i,i."

https://uk.store.boniver.org/?_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJhbi5jcm9zc2ZpcmVAd2ViLmRlIiwgImtsX2NvbXBhbnlfaWQiOiAiSmtIZkJaIn0%3D&utm_campaign=New+Album+'i%2Ci'+-+Out+August+30th%3B+Preorder+Now+(JBfRma)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Customer+accepts+marketing+at+checkout+on+Shop

• 4 weeks later...

Just seeing it now but Jagjaguwar Instagram announced a listening party similar to what they did when 22AM came out which took place in several cities yesterday. Attendees received a flexi of  Hey Ma & U Man: https://www.discogs.com/Bon-Iver-Hey-Ma-U-Man-Like/master/1587611

Wow - this is some of the blandest, least interesting drivel I could have ever imagined coming from someone as good as Vernon. 

I've just finished my first playthrough and I can't imagine ever having the desire to listen to this again except for the inevitable feeling after listening to one of his other albums or projects and thinking "ah, c'mon, it couldn't have been as bad as you thought..." Looking forward to the combination of renewed disappointment and unfortunate reassurance when I discover that it is in fact that bad. 

6 minutes ago, bluescreenlife said:

Just seeing it now but Jagjaguwar Instagram announced a listening party similar to what they did when 22AM came out which took place in several cities yesterday. Attendees received a flexi of  Hey Ma & U Man: https://www.discogs.com/Bon-Iver-Hey-Ma-U-Man-Like/master/1587611

Anyone that is willing to pay those prices on discogs is insane! Saw quite a few listening parties take place in the UK yesterday all with plenty of the flexi-discs for anyone who'd pre-ordered the LP

2 hours ago, rooks said:

Wow - this is some of the blandest, least interesting drivel I could have ever imagined coming from someone as good as Vernon. 

I've just finished my first playthrough and I can't imagine ever having the desire to listen to this again except for the inevitable feeling after listening to one of his other albums or projects and thinking "ah, c'mon, it couldn't have been as bad as you thought..." Looking forward to the combination of renewed disappointment and unfortunate reassurance when I discover that it is in fact that bad. 

It's pure fan-catering at this point after 22AMillion, like holy shit some of these tracks/lyrics are cringey...

2 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

So like, if I'm super into 22 but not into the first 2 is this gonna turn me off automatically? Still gonna give it a chance but no variants make it easier to wait.

The opposite, I'd say if you like 22, then you'll like this. This nothing at all like the s/t save one or two tracks. 

Edited by JRHews

1 minute ago, Sunshine said:

Ah, I figured you meant fan-catering as in trying to satisfy fans of the first two more well received records. Thanks.

Nah, just like, it's what we can now expect from BI following 22. He's never going back to those 2 albums I'm sure. 

I thought 22 was passable, and it grew on me after a little, but I can still only REALLY enjoy a few tracks. Just not my cup of tea the glitch and folktronics.