M83 "DSVII" (Digital Shades Volume II)

https://store.mute.com/browse/m83/products/m83-dsvii

Pink Galaxy vinyl up for preorder.

"Mute will release M83’s Digital Shades Vol. 2 on September 20, 2019. It will be available in limited edition pink galaxy color double vinyl, CD, and digital formats. Anthony Gonzalez (M83) spoke with his brother and creative partner Yann Gonzalez about the record, saying the below: At first there was this vivid memory of Dungeons and Dragons, this childhood sensation of living in an imaginary world set in a faraway past or a lost future. I wanted to create some music that could be part of this adventure and journey with all of its solitary knights, dreamy landscapes, strange animals, forgotten myths and old spells. Originally, the Digital Shades project was supposed to be much more intimate – a collection of B-sides and unused tracks destined for the hardcore fan base. Digital Shades was the name chosen to dissociate it from a proper studio album, although it would be fully part of M83’s discography. Digital Shades became an excuse to give a second life to some tracks instead of letting them disappear into the void. I wanted to create a production of ambient music that could evolve throughout the years. With Vol. 2, I wanted to come back with something stronger that featured the depth of a proper studio album without the pressure of providing pop music – faraway from Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming and Junk. The inspiration behind this record is mainly video game music. It felt so refreshing to play all of these old school games again. I wanted to be surrounded by nature and the past. I would only feed myself with older art. It’s almost as if I couldn’t stand living in the present. This is probably why it was important for me to only use analog equipment for this record. We recorded everything with vintage equipment in my studio and at Justin Meldal-Johnsen’s studio in Glendale, California during final production."

From email newsletter:

"Today M83 announces DSVII. Arriving more than 12 years after the first installment, the album will be released on September 20th. 

When I work on a record, I have difficulty saying goodbye to some pieces of music that I think have potential but don’t necessarily fit the style of the album. This is how Digital Shades became an excuse to give a second life to some tracks instead of letting them disappear into the void.

With DSVII, I wanted to come back with something stronger that featured the depth of a proper studio album without the pressure of providing pop music – faraway from Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming and Junk.

A*"

Edited by N8TRU

Will most likely buy this to keep the collection intact, aside from some of the singles and those soundtracks other than Oblivion.

Was watching a doc about the moon landing on PBS last night and they used Outro at one point, thought to myself I haven't listened to M83 in awhile, and boom this happens. Guess I'm going on an M83 kick again lol

Edit: this was my 420th post ayyy

Edited by wiscodeman

I gotta say that artwork is fucking great.

The tracklisting in the teaser shows A, B, C, D sections but the preorder on Mute doesn't indicate it as a 2xLP. I hope it is, if it means a  longer album length.

Edit: I've been corrected below. That big paragraph on Mute's preorder page was too much for my attention span so I didn't bother to read the first two sentences lol

Edited by wiscodeman

4 hours ago, N8TRU said:

It will be available in limited edition pink galaxy color double vinyl, CD, and digital formats.

1 hour ago, wiscodeman said:

I gotta say that artwork is fucking great.

The tracklisting in the teaser shows A, B, C, D sections but the preorder on Mute doesn't indicate it as a 2xLP. I hope it is, if it means a  longer album length.

(Morgan Kibby / White Sea is a long-time member of M83's touring group)

Amazon.com has a cheap price on a single copy of White Sea's solo album - I've never seen it this cheap before.    $9.40 with free Prime Shipping.    I bought one, there's one left.

https://www.amazon.com/Tropical-Odds-WHITE-SEA/dp/B06XGFP17C

Edited by jackshidt

On 7/13/2019 at 12:33 PM, N8TRU said:

Changed it for you, sadly :(

Def sad she's no longer a part of the band and I'm very happy I got to see her with them on the HUWD tour, but based on youtube vids I've watched, the lady who took her place for the Junk tour has got some pipes. Best example I can remember is her on vocal duty for when they'd play the Oblivion song. I felt like she did it justice (although that's Susanne Sundfor on that track) from watching those vids as they'd be uploaded during the tour.

17 hours ago, wiscodeman said:

Def sad she's no longer a part of the band and I'm very happy I got to see her with them on the HUWD tour, but based on youtube vids I've watched, the lady who took her place for the Junk tour has got some pipes. Best example I can remember is her on vocal duty for when they'd play the Oblivion song. I felt like she did it justice (although that's Susanne Sundfor on that track) from watching those vids as they'd be uploaded during the tour.

I'm lucky I went to both your cycles and I can definitely say both vocalists are phenomenal and doing/did M83 justice.

• 1 month later...

"M83 today shares Temple Of Sorrow the initial offering from the long anticipated DSVII, out September 20th. 

Accompanying this new song is the first installment of Extazus a three part short film inspired by the music of DSVII and helmed by French experinmental director Bertrand Mandico. Additional installments will be released weekly ahead of DSVII's release."

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

I think this is where I’m off the M83 train.  Wanted to dig this but just wasn’t vibing with a single track.  Bit of a bummer.

I am sure it will grow on me eventually, but I wanted so bad for there to be more ambient tracks, or just one even...at least its a decent pressing, minus a nice warp on a/b. I really just need to accept that we aint going back to more serious tones. Just put on 'Gone' from from Dead Cities and shed a tear.