I'd imagine most of us nowadays don't really keep a huge selection of CDs in our cars, what with phones and streaming and what-have-you, but do any of you have a few CDs you keep in your car "just in case?" 

If so, what are they? This is kind of like a desert island type deal, but less severe. I'm not looking for any more than 10 albums, and I'd like to keep it under 5.

Example: I was at Goodwill today and browsing the CDs for fun. Ran across Neil Young - Harvest, and Third Eye Blind - S/T and thought, "Huh, those would be good CDs to keep in my car just in case something happens and I don't have any music for a drive."

That's actually what prompted this post.

I've had Minus the Bear's Menos el Oso in my CD player for years now. They're my drive music. Third Eye Blind's S/t is definitely a solid choice as well. Other than that I'd probably say Glassjaw - Worship & Tribute, Jimmy Eat World - Futures, and Say Anything - ... is a Real Boy.

37 minutes ago, dapeebs said:

I've had Minus the Bear's Menos el Oso in my CD player for years now. They're my drive music. Third Eye Blind's S/t is definitely a solid choice as well. Other than that I'd probably say Glassjaw - Worship & Tribute, Jimmy Eat World - Futures, and Say Anything - ... is a Real Boy.

Yeah, my first thought after getting these was that I should pick up a JEW album too. Mainly because I went to that Third Eye Blind/JEW tour a couple weeks back. Solid show.

iI have a shit ton of CDs, but I only keep "new" ones in my car until I learn them. I say "new" because a lot of my discs are thrifted, so they're just new to me. I'll find CDs from artists that I know or have heard of, but haven't really listened to yet. I'll listen to them until I learn them, then they go into my CD towers with the rest of my CDs, then the songs go into my Spotify playlist.

I have 1 CD in my car stereo, Rufio - MCMLXXXV. My wife's car is still loaded with a shit load of random CDs I got in a Bridge 9 grab bag, they used to be in my truck before I sold it so I just migrated them over and never moved then to my personal car after I bought it lol.

Years ago I moved all our CDs from our books/wallets back to their cases and have them in our entertainment center. I should probably go through them and pick a few must-haves out for our cars.

44 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

I have 1 CD in my car stereo, Rufio - MCMLXXXV. My wife's car is still loaded with a shit load of random CDs I got in a Bridge 9 grab bag, they used to be in my truck before I sold it so I just migrated them over and never moved then to my personal car after I bought it lol.

Years ago I moved all our CDs from our books/wallets back to their cases and have them in our entertainment center. I should probably go through them and pick a few must-haves out for our cars.

Word.

I actually do have a couple other CDs in my car, but a lot of them are ones I have to be in a specific mood for, or got super cheap at garage sales or whatever.

If I had to rank my top 5 in my car though it's probably the two I got today (Neil Young, 3EB) and StD - Through Being Cool, Goya - The Obelisk, and some Riding Easy comp or a mix my wife made.

I have a handful of CDs in my car. They each kind of accidentally found a home there. My buddy's band's CD is there because he gave it to me and I never took it out, a copy of Love You to Death by Tegan and Sara that another friend burned me, a copy of Material Control by Glassjaw that came with a ticket to the release show. There may be one or two more.

None of them have been played since I got a bluetooth adapter and stopped having to switch to a CD in the middle of driving because my phone's port wouldn't cooperate with my aux cable. 

This thread also reminds me of the time that @olopez6919 drove me back to a hotel after a show and wound up staying there while someone stole a bunch of CDs from his car. ☹️

Before I started driving my wife's car a couple of months ago (we got an SUV for kid toting) I was driving an older Honda that had FM and CD; no AUX or bluetooth. I would put bootlegs and burned CD's in there in a "cake box" spindle. After a couple listens I put them back in the spindle upside down and blindly grabbed a rightside up one. Once they were all upside down I reversed the process. If anything even remotely skipped I pulled it out when it was done (or done randomizing if it was a burned mix) and pitch them. Most of the random mixes were generated from pulling tracks into an iTunes playlist titled by the date that I started compiling it. Every once in a while I'd make a mix strictly or an artist because I was really feeling it at the time. I will buy a must have album on CD at goodwill out of principle though. I usually give it to someone.

I still keep a huge CD binder in my car because it doesn’t have an aux port, but five I would still keep regardless would be

Kendrick Lamar- Good Kid

Despised Icon- The Ills of Modern Man

Any Menzingers album

Coheed & Cambria- In Keeping Secrets

Touche Amore- Stage 4

I am guaranteed to have whatever the most recent Weezer album is at the time in my car's CD player, going back to, like, Maladroit, ha. Also in my car's changer right now are two Silkworm albums, a Creeper Lagoon album and a Ted Leo album, I believe, but I rarely play any of them — I listen to a lot more podcasts than music in my car these days.

I still primarily listen to CDs or Sirius XM in the car (old.) so I always have CDs in the center console along with a CD wallet which pretty much constantly rotates based on what I’m into.  No real constants although Cotton Teeth by The Snake The Cross The Crown comes the closest maybe. 

I have a nice CD binder under my center console in my car, so this isn't a hypothetical question for me, either. Typically my car music is the fun, -core stuff I like to tell myself I grew out of. Since I cycle them out fairly often I'll just tell you what I have in there right now, I think it's a pretty good sampling...

The All-American Rejects - Move Along

Search the City - A Fire So Big the Heavens Can See It

Emery - ...In Shallow Seas We Sail

Saosin - S/T

Wolves at the Gate - Captors

Hands Like Houses - Ground Dweller

Edited by omik11303

I dont know how to hook up my blue tooth in my car yet so I rely on cds in my car but if I had to pick 5 I would say coheed good apallo two would be three door down the onoe with the song superman ( my dad introduced this to me a long time ago three would be lil zan total zanarchy i am really starting to like this rap shit four would be lil yachty the album lil boat is so f-ing good and five would be anything from post Malone his coheed cover on guitar was lit as f haha lmao

Just now, turtlefog said:

I dont know how to hook up my blue tooth in my car yet so I rely on cds in my car but if I had to pick 5 I would say coheed good apallo two would be three door down the onoe with the song superman ( my dad introduced this to me a long time ago three would be lil zan total zanarchy i am really starting to like this rap shit four would be lil yachty the album lil boat is so f-ing good and five would be anything from post Malone his coheed cover on guitar was lit as f haha lmao

i listen to these on my headphones when i am working also

I have dozens of CDRs in cake boxes burned throughout years, some have more than 20 years are scratched as hell, but play well. Normal CDs hidden in doors, ways too many (that 'cheap must have' thing works everytime I visit Mediamarkt). I still like to burn some music on CDs just to listen to it in my car, getting more and more difficult to make it happen though (no cd in laptops). Still miss cassette player in my old old car though! :D

On 7/14/2019 at 1:43 PM, dawhizz said:

No real constants although Cotton Teeth by The Snake The Cross The Crown comes the closest maybe. 

HELL YES!!!

My aux input busted about 7 years ago and I've never had bluetooth.   I only listen to CD's in my vehicle.   I still burn CD's like it's 2002.  So the download code thread in this forum is great for me.   The majority of my friends give me their download codes from their newer LPs because I actually use them also.   I've got LPs at home, BlueTooth  speakers for showering/getting ready or cooking, CDs in my vehicle, and Tapes at work (as well as my computer for bandcamp and podcasts).  

I have a 10 CD case that I took from a Mercedes rental back in college that I still keep.  In that case I have Joy Division "Closer", Tom Petty "Wildflowers", The Get Up Kids "Something To Write Home About", Charles Bradley "Changes", Godspeed You! Black Emperor "Lift your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven" (2 disc),   Dengue Fever "Cannibal Courtship", Every Time I Die "Hot Damn!", and Neil Young "After The Gold Rush"

There are a ton of other CDs floating around in the vehicle outside of the case (a lot of local stuff), but for the sake of the thread, that's my case of CD's that doesn't leave the vehicle.

Edited by birdwell

2 hours ago, birdwell said:

HELL YES!!!

My aux input busted about 7 years ago and I've never had bluetooth.   I only listen to CD's in my vehicle.   I still burn CD's like it's 2002.  So the download code thread in this forum is great for me.   The majority of my friends give me their download codes from their newer LPs because I actually use them also.   I've got LPs at home, BlueTooth  speakers for showering/getting ready or cooking, CDs in my vehicle, and Tapes at work (as well as my computer for bandcamp and podcasts).  

I have a 10 CD case that I took from a Mercedes rental back in college that I still keep.  In that case I have Joy Division "Closer", Tom Petty "Wildflowers", The Get Up Kids "Something To Write Home About", Charles Bradley "Changes", Godspeed You! Black Emperor "Lift your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven" (2 disc),   Dengue Fever "Cannibal Courtship", Every Time I Die "Hot Damn!", and Neil Young "After The Gold Rush"

There are a ton of other CDs floating around in the vehicle outside of the case (a lot of local stuff), but for the sake of the thread, that's my case of CD's that doesn't leave the vehicle.

Hot Damn! Is a good call. I'll have to add that into my set.