PO: Norma Jean All Hail 10/25

If anyone in here has seen them live in the past few years, Cory always makes a point to say "Norma Jean is a collective of musicians".  They embrace not having a stagnant lineup, which is imo refreshing and keeps new ideas flowing into the music.  That said, I also hate the new album art.  PO'd two of the new variants anyway!

4 hours ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

Totally agree minus anti mother. But fuck if wrongdoers and polar similar aren’t monsters... buuuuuuut... the riffs were what made those albums. Unsure if the new guy is on the same level, but I’m basing that on nothing. Will wait and see.

If you’re referring to Jeff Hickey, he wrote/played on this album before leaving the band

Just for the sake of conversation, isn't releasing a song, or songs, before the album release date kind of a new(er) internet-age thing?  I know I'm a dinosaur nearing age 40, but "Back when I was a kid..." and CDs were the standard, you had to buy releases blindly.  If you were copping on the release date, anyways...  Or would they release songs on the radio, just not typically in physical format?  Not that shit like Norma Jean was played on any radio, but just in general, I mean.  I do remember CD/cassette singles, but I feel like they weren't usually released before the LP, unless they were, and it just wasn't popular amongst me and my group of friends to buy ahead of time...

I see someone else pointed out above, and I was going to reiterate what Corey, or the band collectively, addressed the lineup changes in the liner notes of was it Wrongdoers...?  Essentially saying that Norma Jean is/has been an evolving family/collective of musicians.  I personally don't see the issue, unless the sound is changing dramatically and has no resemblance of what it was previously.  Norma Jean has been kicking ass, I don't see why this release would be any different.  They've got a solid track record.

I'm being old by thinking "You damn kids sure do like to find stuff to complain about!" then I remember that's what the forum and internet are for, to critique and dissect whatever the heck you're looking at.  I also really liked the art when I saw it lol  I just thought it looked like a bad ass cover.  I see most board members also disagree on that.

35 minutes ago, verb1999 said:

Just for the sake of conversation, isn't releasing a song, or songs, before the album release date kind of a new(er) internet-age thing?  I know I'm a dinosaur nearing age 40, but "Back when I was a kid..." and CDs were the standard, you had to buy releases blindly.

Sure, if there was no airplay, but you could also go pop it into your player right away and not wait 3 months (if the pressing actually comes out on time) to find out what you paid $30+ for...

1 hour ago, tlr said:

Well there is a song out there, Mind Over Mind, sounds like Norma Jean fyi.

Seeing as I cant find it (at work so cant go just anwhere on the net), could you be more descriptive?
I want to PO that Gold?Bone mix before it sells out, but would love a track.

I actually might say Wrongdooers and Merridonal are my two fav's by them.

37 minutes ago, skippy said:

track is here to listen to

01. [Mind Over Mind].mp3 -  6679282

dude, that website isn't just NSFW, it's not safe to open on any PC.  My virus protection went nuts.

EDIT:  The track itself is great, BTW.  If you liked that last few releases I can't imagine you not liking it.

Edited by daegor

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, freedumb said:

Is there a logistical reason why they haven't pressed "Bless The Martyr..."?  If not, plans to do so?

https://www.discogs.com/Norma-Jean-The-Almighty-Norma-Jean-Limited-Edition-Vinyl-Boxset/master/367034

It's been done and any of that era of T&N release cost a stupid amount to licence for repressing.

• 1 month later...