Is my turntable platter damaged?

Hello all,

I've recently acquired a Technics SL-D2 from a friend and have been reasonably happy with it for three weeks.

However, upon closer inspection, I have noticed that each of my records are "waving". At first, I thought this was normal, being a novice I thought this might just be "how it is."

It appears that one edge of the turntable platter is slightly raised. Please see the image below for clarification on what I mean by this.

This means that the stylus bobs ups and down as the raised edge passed beneath the cartridge. I've also had problems with skating, where the stylus will ever-so-slightly drag itself across the record. I understand this may be because the tonearm isn't weighted properly, but might the raised edge also be a  potential cause here?

Am I going mad or have I unfortunately inherited a damaged turntable?

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

DSC-0193.jpg

Edited by ItsMorgie

6 hours ago, ItsMorgie said:

Thank you for informing me, AGB :) 

I've now embedded the image within my post. Can you see it now?

no worries .. is the warped bit on top removable?? id try and replace that .. the skating issue is a different problem.. read the manual to adjust the anti  skating weight :) what cart are you using and what tracking force have you got it set to?? 

On 7/23/2019 at 11:06 PM, AGB said:

no worries .. is the warped bit on top removable?? id try and replace that .. the skating issue is a different problem.. read the manual to adjust the anti  skating weight :) what cart are you using and what tracking force have you got it set to?? 

Perhaps, but I'm hesitant to take it off incase I risk further warping, or make the turntable completely inoperable though I shall do some research on replacement platters. In your experience, would you say the warped edge is definitely damage? 

On 7/27/2019 at 7:18 AM, ItsMorgie said:

Perhaps, but I'm hesitant to take it off incase I risk further warping, or make the turntable completely inoperable though I shall do some research on replacement platters. In your experience, would you say the warped edge is definitely damage? 

well i cant say 100% but a platter is SUPPOSED to be flat .. if purchased from a shop, id be returning ..