PO SOON : Refused - War Music -10/18

Freedom was easily the biggest let-down in quite a few years for me.   I loved seeing the reunion performance I caught.....thankfully it was well-before Freedom.   I can't fathom I will find any of this album interesting or compelling....honestly, I'd rather see him revive AC4 or T(i)NC than listen to another new Refused album.

I'm going to have to disagree with the masses on Freedom. I think expectations were just too damn high. TSOPTC was groundbreaking when it came out, it was almost unfathomable that a band could go from STFLTFOD to Shape in such a short time. Anyone expecting a similar elevation of game would surely be disappointed. Instead it's more of the same with a few signs of growth and a few signs of looking backwards.

IMO Elekta, Dawkins Christ, 366 could easily have fit onto Shape. Old Friends/New War and Thought is Blood are amazing and show signs off growth.  Francafrique, Servants of Death, and Useless Europeans have an early 90s alternative vibe that is pretty decent. The other tunes are filler.  

I'd suggest revisiting the record with fresh ears and an open mind.  It's definitely their second best LP.

11 minutes ago, cside said:

I'm going to have to disagree with the masses on Freedom. I think expectations were just too damn high. TSOPTC was groundbreaking when it came out, it was almost unfathomable that a band could go from STFLTFOD to Shape in such a short time. Anyone expecting a similar elevation of game would surely be disappointed. Instead it's more of the same with a few signs of growth and a few signs of looking backwards.

IMO Elekta, Dawkins Christ, 366 could easily have fit onto Shape. Old Friends/New War and Thought is Blood are amazing and show signs off growth.  Francafrique, Servants of Death, and Useless Europeans have an early 90s alternative vibe that is pretty decent. The other tunes are filler.  

I'd suggest revisiting the record with fresh ears and an open mind.  It's definitely their second best LP.

JUDAS’ HEART

NIETZSCHE’S SOUL

DAWKINS’ COCK

IN A GOD SHAPED HOLE

lol fuck outta here, Freedom sucks 

I really don't like Freedom (I don't hate it nearly as much as everyone else does), I haven't listened to it in at least 2 or 3 years. But I will say I saw them the year it came out and thought the songs were quite a bit better live. Then I saw them a year after and thought the 4 songs they played from it were way better live than even the year before.  The production on Freedom is what really sucks, and the performances are week and feel rushed and unpracticed. 

**Edit, also the song writing does feel rushed with just similar riffs and beats from TSOPTC)

Edited by chunkrock

To be fair, cause I know everyone is dying to know, I don’t hate Freedom either. Seeing that much praise heaped upon it just triggered me cause I’m a sensitive lizard.

the songs were fun live, they’re a kickass band, and TSOPTC was one of the most important albums ever. 

But Freedom should be left in 2015 and forgotten where it belongs. It’s just meh. It didn’t ruin their legacy, but if this one is more of the same, I’m confident in saying that it will be seriously tarnished.