PO NOW : Cult Of Luna - A Dawn to Fear (09/20)

On 8/2/2019 at 1:06 AM, Derek™ said:

You’re a disgrace to the rest of us Cult of Luna fans if you missed out on the splatter.  There’s really no point in even trying to enjoy the new album unless you own it.

I agree. There is no point with anything any longer. I might as well set my collection on fire.

It has been an honour.

On 8/7/2019 at 11:07 AM, Ugin said:

I agree. There is no point with anything any longer. I might as well set my collection on fire.

It has been an honour.

As I was to set my world on fire and do the only honourable thing, a friendly spirit named Portsi showed me the light. Order is restored and I will rise like Phoenix from the devastation these pre-orders caused me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Portsi said:

Some idiot is trying to sell the splatter for 200e at Discogs already. I hate people.

But yeah, the album is unreal! Not a single weak moment.

If there's a market, someone is always trying to take advantage of it...and people who actually care about a release will get the lower hand. I actually thought that Cult of Luna was enough under the radar to be spared from this kind of behavior, sorry to say I was wrong...

On topic then: I am certain "a dawn to fear" will become my favourite album. It is so well structured and written, it is truly an experience.

And if anyone has missed it, there are lithographs and necklaces left in the shop!

On 9/20/2019 at 4:35 AM, MayCauseDeath said:

Album is absolutely Phenomenal. I would give it a 9.5 out of 10. It's such a different yet familiar sound reminiscent of Vertikal and SATH 

Yeah this thing is basically nearly perfect.  I almost get some "Dim" vibes on track 1 of Disc 2, but they pull out before they peak hard enough to get into "Dim" territory. 

This album is quickly becoming a favorite though.  The groovey, dancey Cult of Luna with prominent keyboards is just like crack for my brain. 

I'm very happy with this record. In my opinion CoL made the two best post-metal albums with SATH and Eternal Kingdom, in my mind these albums beat anything by Neurosis, Isis, or anyone else within this sphere of heavy music, and this new one may be on the same level. When they are at their best they push their music to an uncanny level of intensity, and they do it with their particular blend of percussion, synth, guitar counter-melodies, etc. It's a really special sound that I can't describe adequately, but I know it when I hear it, and this record is full of these incredible moments that no other band could have produced. Also, kudos to Metal Blade for a fantastic pressing, it sounds amazing.

On 9/21/2019 at 4:12 AM, Ugin said:

If there's a market, someone is always trying to take advantage of it...and people who actually care about a release will get the lower hand. I actually thought that Cult of Luna was enough under the radar to be spared from this kind of behavior, sorry to say I was wrong...

On topic then: I am certain "a dawn to fear" will become my favourite album. It is so well structured and written, it is truly an experience.

And if anyone has missed it, there are lithographs and necklaces left in the shop!

This has been the case for a while.  Before "Salvation" got repressed, OG copies were going for $100+ on Discogs.  I nearly pulled the trigger myself. 

5 hours ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

Okay bud calm down 

He kind of has a point though.  It could be that Cult of Luna is continuing to grow and write great music while the Isis catalog stays put....  but I see where he's coming from.  Isis is inherently independent....  their material stands alone, but they do a different thing.  They went for the cosmic groove where the universe swallows itself up and you're blasted out of a cannon into a psilocybe cosmic vortex with all these hypnotic, low-dynamic grooves (ie: So Did We, The Beginning and the End, Weight).  Cult of Luna does it but in like, a loud sense.  Same intensity, different dynamic levels. 

Also False Light still makes me want to punch walls and pick up change like when I was 16.

TL;DR-----  Isis and Cult of Luna rule. 

Also, Rosetta.  :)

10 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

This has been the case for a while.  Before "Salvation" got repressed, OG copies were going for $100+ on Discogs.  I nearly pulled the trigger myself. 

He kind of has a point though.  It could be that Cult of Luna is continuing to grow and write great music while the Isis catalog stays put....  but I see where he's coming from.  Isis is inherently independent....  their material stands alone, but they do a different thing.  They went for the cosmic groove where the universe swallows itself up and you're blasted out of a cannon into a psilocybe cosmic vortex with all these hypnotic, low-dynamic grooves (ie: So Did We, The Beginning and the End, Weight).  Cult of Luna does it but in like, a loud sense.  Same intensity, different dynamic levels. 

Also False Light still makes me want to punch walls and pick up change like when I was 16.

TL;DR-----  Isis and Cult of Luna rule. 

Also, Rosetta.  :)

That’s all fair and I agree with it but all I really took away was fuuuuuuck the beginning and the end is sooo goooood

4 minutes ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

That’s all fair and I agree with it but all I really took away was fuuuuuuck the beginning and the end is sooo goooood

True story.  That album is something I'll take to the grave with me.  I had downloaded a bunch of Celestial and Mosquito Control tracks off Napster in like 8th grade, and when Oceanic came out, it was a blind purchase at the local record shop simply because I figured it must be at least decent.  That decision changed my life. 

Funny story - I used to hate Carry.  It was too slow for me.  Always skipped it.  Then I read a bunch of stuff about how the band thought it was their breakthrough song, and their favorite thing to play - indeed, they opened the reunion show with it.  I went back to the album and slowed my brain down, and let Carry do it's thing.  Boy, I was wrong. 

Back on track - I'm really liking how melodic this album is without having sacrificed any intensity or brutality.  The stuff on Eternal Kingdom is a little more knotty in it's riff structures, and we get some of that, but when they do the grooves where the guitar just goes back and forth between 2 chords with the synths and melodies over the top like in Lights on the Hill..... (same thing as in Dim)....  it's sooooooo goood

20 hours ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

Okay bud calm down 

I get it. I love and appreciate all of these bands. Rosetta and Mouth of the Architect are among my favorites as well. But what Cult of Luna has done impresses me the most on a gut impact level, and I also think that in comparison to the reverence many people have for Isis and Neurosis in particular, CoL is a bit underrated.