3" mini turntable bundles

29 minutes ago, jough said:

I think these little 3" records are great, and while a novelty SO IS COLLECTING VINYL AT ALL so this is a sub-novelty that brings me joy in a collection that also brings me joy. These new titles may not be at the top of my wishlist, but for those of us (they sold out of the initial run of 4,000) who shelled-out $70 for a conversation piece it's nice to have more options to have music to play on our mini turntables.

Yeah, these ICP singles totally enforce how not stupid buying a mini turntable is. You can learn about rainbows and magnets together with others sharing a similar complete lack of brain function to the point where small stuff makes good conversation.

1 hour ago, RecordsandIPA said:

The Hopeless mystery packs are up at Zia! ( shipping is U.S only ) If you purchase 4 they guarantee to give you the complete set. 

https://www.ziarecords.com/p/7397219/hopeless-records-blind-box-mini-3-vinyl

I was thinking not bad for 10 bucks, but it be 40 for all 4.  10 for a 3 inch joke is...a joke.  7 inch and 12 inch is all we need.  say NO to 3 and 10.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Yeah, but you also gobble up gimmicky shit and you’ve gone your whole life handling 3 inches.  If anyone would advocate these, it would be you.

I still don’t see what’s gimmicky about a smaller, more poorly manufactured version of something all of us already owns, except only able to play a dozen or so titles (pressed on cheap plastic instead of vinyl and costing twice as much as a standard 7” single) and whose sound quality is questionable at best, unlistenable at worst.

6 minutes ago, tonyfranciosa said:

forget the smaller actual vinyl, I wish they would bring back Chu Bops (though I'm probably one of the few old enough to remember buying these back in the day).

yes, that is a bubble gum record inside a 3" replica package. 

spacer.png

Nice, those are really cool man!! What year were these sold around and did they have a variety of albums/bands or only the Beatles gum?  

1 hour ago, RecordsandIPA said:

Nice, those are really cool man!! What year were these sold around and did they have a variety of albums/bands or only the Beatles gum?  

there's actually a bit of info on a Discogs page: https://www.discogs.com/lists/Chu-Bops/281095

and if you can stomach Geocities era web design, some dude had a page where he was selling them up to April of this year it seems: http://www.chubops.com/

On 8/18/2019 at 10:26 AM, gutterball1 said:

I was thinking not bad for 10 bucks, but it be 40 for all 4.  10 for a 3 inch joke is...a joke.  7 inch and 12 inch is all we need.  say NO to 3 and 10.

They're a little pricey at $10/each but they're also pretty niche, hand-made, etc. AFAIK aside from some lathe presses that are reusing the underside of 3" mini-CD singles there's just one pressing plant in Japan making all of the 8ban/RSD3 3" singles.

9 hours ago, nico said:

Anyone find some adapter to play these on a regular turntable.

I need to find the measurements but there are standard washers that you can use to fill in the hole so that the center spindle fits on a standard turntable, BUT the tracking angle will likely be very very wrong, so while you could technically adapt them they may not sound great (yes, haters, even worse than they do on the 3" mini turntable) and may do horrible things to the tracks. Not recommended. These are made for the bespoke mini turntables.

On 8/18/2019 at 3:33 PM, unknown pleasures said:

I still don’t see what’s gimmicky about a smaller, more poorly manufactured version of something all of us already owns, except only able to play a dozen or so titles (pressed on cheap plastic instead of vinyl and costing twice as much as a standard 7” single) and whose sound quality is questionable at best, unlistenable at worst.

They're pretty well made (sadly, the pack-in Foo Fighters title had off-center issues, but the White Stripes and Epitaph records sound great), and are pressed on actual vinyl (fused to an ABS substrate for strength, but the business/groove side is PVC just like every other record) and there are currently 125 titles that I'm aware of, which granted isn't as many as most other formats but isn't nothing, especially for a niche format that plays only on a niche turntable.

The quality isn't as great as a 7" but they're also much much smaller. They sound shockingly good (especially when connected to a good amp/speaker setup) for their size, and if you've never held one in your hands, are a flipping delight to play with. For those of us who love vinyl partly for the physical object, and not just the inconvenience and expense, they're very nice little things.

On 8/20/2019 at 12:57 AM, nico said:

Anyone find some adapter to play these on a regular turntable.

If you own any of the short-lived VinylDisc formats, most, if not all, came with a foam adapter that is used for the vinyl side. I found that these also worked for playing the 3" records on a regular turntable.

spacer.png

i don't give a shit about the size; in fact i think a nontraditional size is actually fun. i love the one 6" i have.* but if i have to buy some special record player for it, then what the fuck? (edit: also, at $10 this is absolutely preposterous. do not confuse this for a defense of the $10 3".)

re: blind boxes: it has become the logical extension of any collectible craze, but i will say i loved secret audio club's wax packs from 2014. wouldn't have encountered john moreland or half hearted hero without it, and it was all new songs from every contributing artist.  that said, i don't need a blind box to know i fuckin hate all time low

*not a wiener joke. i wish! if only. am i right? ...guys? hello?

Edited by chamb117

On 8/24/2019 at 6:22 AM, glass realms said:

If you own any of the short-lived VinylDisc formats, most, if not all, came with a foam adapter that is used for the vinyl side. I found that these also worked for playing the 3" records on a regular turntable.

Thanks, I have that Mars Volta hybrid disc. Let's see if it works.