PO: Boris - LOVE / EVOL + Reissues

On 9/5/2019 at 12:57 PM, cardiac said:

Has anyone had a chance to listen to Love & Evol? I love Boris, but not every release is a ‘must own’ for me, so it’d be nice to hear any thoughts on how the album as a whole stacks up to the rest of their catalogue..

Will report back in about 65 minutes.

On 9/5/2019 at 9:57 AM, cardiac said:

Has anyone had a chance to listen to Love & Evol? I love Boris, but not every release is a ‘must own’ for me, so it’d be nice to hear any thoughts on how the album as a whole stacks up to the rest of their catalogue..

would it kill you to actually listen to it?

15 hours ago, cardiac said:

Would you say it sounds like a continuation of Dear, or is it closer to anything else they’ve done? 

After one listen to hard to say. It’s heavy, but not as heavy as dear. Very very shoegazey and psychedelic. The only songs with a readily discernible form are Love and Shadow of Skull. I tentatively dig it more than dear for the sole fact that it seems way more varied.

I caught them in Portland, Maine last night. Sound was shit and the energy low, far from the best Boris I've seen. I did snap up all that swank-ass Jack White money vinyl, though. I'm listening to Love (which I gather we're supposed to call LφVE) for the first time now. So come with me, won't you, as we embark on a journey of the mind...

The first track, "Away from You" sounds like Attention Please as understood by the vacuum cleaner noise version of Vein. Hoovers along nicely for some seven minutes, then stops. "Coma", up next, soundtracks young Timmy Martin, lying broken at the bottom of a distant well with his grandfather's Radio Shack cassette recorder, the old machine's dying batteries warbling out a 7th-generation bootleg dupe of Flood. Brains don't knit, Timmy. Bones knit, but brains are forever.

And that's it for side 1! "EVOL" eats the flip. We begin at the intersection of Marnie Stern and decades of ruinous opiate abuse. Of troubled mind, we then seek bucolic solace, stagger the tone farm by moonlight, and suddenly bloom into the bulbous, bruise-purple, mutant Tetsuo shoegaze of our Pink-tinged dreams. Googaze, as the kids say, and it's pretty glorious for about 5 minutes. Having loosed that steamy Kraken, however, we must now subside into a nutrient-rich wave chowder and there lap sluggish toward the outgroove.

Such is LφVE, and it's pretty damn god. Delivers enough flavor crystal power to satisfy the pre-interested, though I doubt many will wind up shelving it with top-tier Fangs. You get thirty minutes of amoebic drugtone graced by one quite fetching cover rabbat, but not much by way of songs or structure.

Across the visible spectrum, LφVE's cyanotic companion may treat us to a relatively generous two full tracks per side (four in total! do the math!), but EVφL definitely cooks in a similar kitchen. Shopping list: a case of red wine, some candles, two cats, and a bathtub full of warm Dilaudid. So inspired, opener "uzume" lathers some impressively unhurried guitar tunings over a coy duet of belt sander and rusty sheetmetal. It is followed by "LOVE" which I don't have to explain, because you've seen it on TV.

Mama I'm comin' home! "In the Pain(t)" opens side four on a mystic tip. It may or may not be a Waka Flocka cover and consists largely of some twinkles. Last but not least cometh thee "Shadow of Skull". It is bigass and sounds like Boris playing a regular Boris song much, much slower than usual. Luckily, this will allow devotees ample opportunity to savor the curious imprecision of Takeshi's vocal pitch. And then it ends, which means the record has ended! We're done! We listened it! 

Verdict: LφVE & EVφL is an interesting but somewhat underdeveloped Boris outing elevated by knockout gorgeous art and design. I bought a pack of stickers and two iron-on rabbat patches to go with mine. I am the scar that stands where life has cut, and I regret nothing.

Edited by conedust

10 hours ago, conedust said:

I caught them in Portland, Maine last night. Sound was shit and the energy low, far from the best Boris I've seen. I did snap up all that swank-ass Jack White money vinyl, though. I'm listening to Love (which I gather we're supposed to call LφVE) for the first time now. So come with me, won't you, as we embark on a journey of the mind...

The first track, "Away from You" sounds like Attention Please as understood by the vacuum cleaner noise version of Vein. Hoovers along nicely for some seven minutes, then stops. "Coma", up next, soundtracks young Timmy Martin, lying broken at the bottom of a distant well with his grandfather's Radio Shack cassette recorder, the old machine's dying batteries warbling out a 7th-generation bootleg dupe of Flood. Brains don't knit, Timmy. Bones knit, but brains are forever.

And that's it for side 1! "EVOL" eats the flip. We begin at the intersection of Marnie Stern and decades of ruinous opiate abuse. Of troubled mind, we then seek bucolic solace, stagger the tone farm by moonlight, and suddenly bloom into the bulbous, bruise-purple, mutant Tetsuo shoegaze of our Pink-tinged dreams. Googaze, as the kids say, and it's pretty glorious for about 5 minutes. Having loosed that steamy Kraken, however, we must now subside into a nutrient-rich wave chowder and there lap sluggish toward the outgroove.

Such is LφVE, and it's pretty damn god. Delivers enough flavor crystal power to satisfy the pre-interested, though I doubt many will wind up shelving it with top-tier Fangs. You get thirty minutes of amoebic drugtone graced by one quite fetching cover rabbat, but not much by way of songs or structure.

Across the visible spectrum, LφVE's cyanotic companion may treat us to a relatively generous two full tracks per side (four in total! do the math!), but EVφL definitely cooks in a similar kitchen. Shopping list: a case of red wine, some candles, two cats, and a bathtub full of warm Dilaudid. So inspired, opener "uzume" lathers some impressively unhurried guitar tunings over a coy duet of belt sander and rusty sheetmetal. It is followed by "LOVE" which I don't have to explain, because you've seen it on TV.

Mama I'm comin' home! "In the Pain(t)" opens side four on a mystic tip. It may or may not be a Waka Flocka cover and consists largely of some twinkles. Last but not least cometh thee "Shadow of Skull". It is bigass and sounds like Boris playing a regular Boris song much, much slower than usual. Luckily, this will allow devotees ample opportunity to savor the curious imprecision of Takeshi's vocal pitch. And then it ends, which means the record has ended! We're done! We listened it! 

Verdict: LφVE & EVφL is an interesting but somewhat underdeveloped Boris outing elevated by knockout gorgeous art and design. I bought a pack of stickers and two iron-on rabbat patches to go with mine. I am the scar that stands where life has cut, and I regret nothing.

Jesus fuck this is worst, most try hard, quasi-intellectual bullshit I have read since... well, the Tool thread.

anyone who’s interested in this album should save themselves the cringe and ignore that post, because it’s extremely off base and reads like a community college freshman who just discovered Burroughs.

I saw them last weekend and they’re just as powerful and crushing as ever, dude must’ve gotten a bad batch of acid. At least it would explain the incoherent wall of text he posted as a “review.”  how much “energy” do you want from a band who’s made a two and a half decade career out of slow, crawling, droning, monolithic riffs? 

guys I can be quirky and weird too and spell words wrong. Rabbat! See, I did it! No one go with this guy, no one embark on a journey, and definitely no one drink anything he gives you: I think this dude fucks stuffed animals.

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

1 hour ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

Jesus fuck this is worst, most try hard, quasi-intellectual bullshit I have read since... well, the Tool thread.

anyone who’s interested in this album should save themselves the cringe and ignore that post, because it’s extremely off base and reads like a community college freshman who just discovered Burroughs.

I saw them last weekend and they’re just as powerful and crushing as ever, dude must’ve gotten a bad batch of acid. At least it would explain the incoherent wall of text he posted as a “review.”  how much “energy” do you want from a band who’s made a two and a half decade career out of slow, crawling, droning, monolithic riffs? 

guys I can be quirky and weird too and spell words wrong. Rabbat! See, I did it! No one go with this guy, no one embark on a journey, and definitely no one drink anything he gives you: I think this dude fucks stuffed animals.

Haha, I liked his review. Don't be so uptight. I liked the album too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, elvismcvegas said:

There's an indie exclusive version of love and Evol that's a clear with orange a/b clear with blue c/d. You have to buy it from thirdman though.

That’s the regular  indie store variant as well.

Edited by glass realms

On 10/6/2019 at 9:53 AM, elvismcvegas said:

There's an indie exclusive version of love and Evol that's a clear with orange a/b clear with blue c/d. You have to buy it from thirdman though.

On 8/28/2019 at 9:06 AM, thebaucom said:

LOVE/EVOL indie exclusive at Bull Moose - clear w/orange swirl + clear w/teal swirl.

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/31952571/boris-love-evol-clear-vinyl-indie-exclusive-2lp-clear-w-orange-swirl-clear-w-teal-swirl

Still available at Bullmoose

1 hour ago, phantasmatt said:

Anyone spin the two reissues yet? Mine will arrive this evening, wondering what the consensus on the sound quality is... a few people on Discogs claim Third Man reissues aren't so hot. Either way, couldn't pass these reissues up, I love these albums.

Akuma No Uta sounds fine since it's a lo-fi recording. Some crackles here and there but generally better compared to the SL picture disc.

Feedbacker on the other hand sounds like it was cut on the hot side compared to the Conspiracy pressing. I could hear way more distortion during Part II which is a bummer. The locked grooves are a nice touch though.

• 4 months later...