48 minutes ago, diabretic said:

Yes. He sells records that are "out of stock" on his site on Discogs for a jacked up price. 

https://www.discogs.com/seller/spartanrecords/profile

There are two Mae albums- one for $39 and the OOP Everglow for $66--which, by the way, is the lowest price out of the six copies listed for sale.  Those are the only two items from his label he's flipping.  Bring out the pitchforks!

15 minutes ago, mmhmm said:

There are two Mae albums- one for $39 and the OOP Everglow for $66--which, by the way, is the lowest price out of the six copies listed for sale.  Those are the only two items from his label he's flipping.  Bring out the pitchforks!

still gross, sorry

6 minutes ago, copelandkid said:

still gross, sorry

I'm not necessarily defending the guy, just putting the facts out there in case people who don't take the time to click on the link assume the guy is running a crazy flipping side business.   

I will say I've had nothing but good experiences with Spartan and I'm glad they're pressing Mae albums.  

Edited by mmhmm
Weird spacing issue lol

i guess i'm conflicted - John has been good to me in the past, but also indifferent when some Man Mountain albums showed up covered in sand from the printing process for some of my friends. 

Flipping your own records is weird.  Very weird.  However, i understand people need to eat.....   and it is only a couple records.  I'm inclined to give it a pass. 

Anyway, I've explored this band a little bit because a girl i used to know was really into them, but I don't know much.  Where should I start?

3 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

i guess i'm conflicted - John has been good to me in the past, but also indifferent when some Man Mountain albums showed up covered in sand from the printing process for some of my friends. 

Flipping your own records is weird.  Very weird.  However, i understand people need to eat.....   and it is only a couple records.  I'm inclined to give it a pass. 

Anyway, I've explored this band a little bit because a girl i used to know was really into them, but I don't know much.  Where should I start?

The everglow.

3 hours ago, mmhmm said:

I'm not necessarily defending the guy, just putting the facts out there in case people who don't take the time to click on the link assume the guy is running a crazy flipping side business.   

I will say I've had nothing but good experiences with Spartan and I'm glad they're pressing Mae albums.  

i mean i imagine there are only two being flipped because there aren't many more than two Spartan releases worth flipping lol. and of course there's only one copy of each up at a time b/c supply/demand.

i'm ultimately not trying to suggest this guy is flipping a bunch of his stock, or even personally assuming it. but the fact is it's totally something you could infer from the situation. it kinda looks "shady" and ppl in the vinyl world of all niche hobbies definitely have a BS detector like few others haha.

tl;dr i get that running a label is a tough business but at least have the respect for your customer base to flip em under a screenname lol. 

Super excited this is finally getting pressed! I remember seeing them live a couple months before this album came out and they opened the show with a song off of Singularity and my wife and I weren't even sure if we were seeing the right band haha different from The Everglow, but still so good.

35 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

yeah okay that song was pretty good haha

No no no no no no… you gotta listen to the whole album, not just the song/title track. From tracks 1 to 15, no skipping. Bonus points for following with lyrics. It's a concept/story album.

Edited by No This Is Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to this one, Singularity was the first Mae album that I got to experience on the release day.

Always got to start it off with Last Transmission though, gotta love gap tracks.

On 8/24/2019 at 12:11 PM, No This Is Patrick said:

No no no no no no… you gotta listen to the whole album, not just the song/title track. From tracks 1 to 15, no skipping. Bonus points for following with lyrics. It's a concept/story album.

Care to share? Very cool, never heard that before

1 hour ago, SpazzyMcGee said:

Care to share? Very cool, never heard that before

Basically, the whole thing is a love story of a couple. How it started, the ups and downs of life, and just being there for each other. The songs are still listenable separately but they flow together very well back to back to back.

Plus the lyric booklet and it's illustrations. And the "Prologue" and "Epilogue" remind me of those book and cassette stories I had as a kid.

On 9/4/2019 at 2:19 PM, No This Is Patrick said:

Basically, the whole thing is a love story of a couple. How it started, the ups and downs of life, and just being there for each other. The songs are still listenable separately but they flow together very well back to back to back.

Plus the lyric booklet and it's illustrations. And the "Prologue" and "Epilogue" remind me of those book and cassette stories I had as a kid.

-_- I'm facepalming hard bc I totally thought you were referencing Singularity lol

• 1 month later...