International Travel (with vinyl)

I traveled back and forth from the USA to Germany for four years with a case like this:

https://www.amazon.com/GPO-SWB18BLU-Vinyl-Case-Blue/dp/B00Z7CQ85W/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=GPO+vinyl+case&qid=1566431315&s=gateway&sr=8-2

It holds about 25 LPs and I was really happy with it. I used it as my carry-on; I have never put vinyl records in checked baggage.

20 minutes ago, Alan P said:

I traveled back and forth from the USA to Germany for four years with a case like this:

https://www.amazon.com/GPO-SWB18BLU-Vinyl-Case-Blue/dp/B00Z7CQ85W/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=GPO+vinyl+case&qid=1566431315&s=gateway&sr=8-2

It holds about 25 LPs and I was really happy with it. I used it as my carry-on; I have never put vinyl records in checked baggage.

Checking anything is my nightmare...
They probably have larger versions of that case which may work well but I'm thinking there are about 300 I need to transport and preferably all at once.

22 minutes ago, Alan P said:

The Greats of Jazz collector set has much more than 25 LPs alone... I think this will be a bit of a process. I'll have to buy plane tickets for the whole neighborhood.

300 at once is going to be very tough. Airlines won’t allow you to check anything over a certain weight (often 70 or 100 lbs depending on the route/airline). So you’d have to check multiple items, and the excess baggage/overweight fees will be nuts. 

Consider taking a small carryon case of the most valuable ones, and then looking into freight shipping for something like this for the rest: https://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-CLP200P-Carpeted-Recessed-Hardware/dp/B0002DVBRQ

Edited by fondfarewell

I think the most I've taken on a plane at one time was twenty. It was a hassle but I have a dj bag that was specifically made for transporting records and it ended up being worth it because I got them all signed at a specific show. I imagine checking a large number of records would be a receipt for disaster. Like rooks said its extremely heavy and expensive; shipping them would likely be a better option. 

11 minutes ago, rooks said:

There's no goddamn way you're getting 300 LPs on a commercial airplane. 

Theoretically it can be done. Taking a US/EU Delta flight as an example, you can check up to 10 bags. A flight case of 70 LPs shouldn’t be too heavy (~45 lbs). You’d need four of those for 280 LPs. You take the remaining 20 LPs in a small bag as your personal item, one flight case as your carry-on, and you get one checked free if you’re not on a Basic Economy fare. Third one is $100, and the fourth one is $285, for total fees of $385, not including the cost of the cases (probably $200-300). So maybe you can do it for under $700 if you’re just taking records, but if you need to check any other bags, it’s another $285 each. 

34 minutes ago, fondfarewell said:

300 at once is going to be very tough. Airlines won’t allow you to check anything over a certain weight (often 70 or 100 lbs depending on the route/airline). So you’d have to check multiple items, and the excess baggage/overweight fees will be nuts. 

Consider taking a small carryon case of the most valuable ones, and then looking into freight shipping for something like this for the rest: https://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-CLP200P-Carpeted-Recessed-Hardware/dp/B0002DVBRQ

That looks amazing. My rough estimate is that it will be about 85 pounds when full. Paying that extra fee will be worth it but I'm going to see if maybe they have half-sized ones so I can check them at about 40 pounds each and avoid customs hassle.

23 minutes ago, Han Solo said:

I think the most I've taken on a plane at one time was twenty. It was a hassle but I have a dj bag that was specifically made for transporting records and it ended up being worth it because I got them all signed at a specific show. I imagine checking a large number of records would be a receipt for disaster. Like rooks said its extremely heavy and expensive; shipping them would likely be a better option. 

DHL quoted me at about $300 to ship 15 vinyl...

5 minutes ago, fondfarewell said:

Theoretically it can be done. Taking a US/EU Delta flight as an example, you can check up to 10 bags. A flight case of 70 LPs shouldn’t be too heavy (~45 lbs). You’d need four of those for 280 LPs. You take the remaining 20 LPs in a small bag as your personal item, one flight case as your carry-on, and you get one checked free if you’re not on a Basic Economy fare. Third one is $100, and the fourth one is $285, for total fees of $385, not including the cost of the cases (probably $200-300). So maybe you can do it for under $700 if you’re just taking records, but if you need to check any other bags, it’s another $285 each. 

Yeh, if I can get a visa to legally leave the country, I will be able to try and manage all that. Sounds like a plan... still worried that they will destroy them though.

7 minutes ago, LojaRich said:

Yeh, if I can get a visa to legally leave the country, I will be able to try and manage all that. Sounds like a plan... still worried that they will destroy them though.

It will likely be fine. Records are tough. The airline will probably put them through special handling, similar to instruments (and the flight cases look like instrument cases, which isn’t a bad thing), so they probably won’t go on the baggage belts. Take the valuable stuff as carry-on, pack everything with LPs outside the jackets to prevent seam splits, and get straps for the checked ones so they don’t pop open. 

Edited by fondfarewell

4 minutes ago, fondfarewell said:

It will likely be fine. Records are tough. The airline will probably put them through special handling, similar to instruments (and the flight cases look like instrument cases, which isn’t a bad thing), so they probably won’t go on the baggage belts. Take the valuable stuff as carry-on, pack everything with LPs outside the jackets to prevent seam splits, and get straps for the checked ones so they don’t pop open. 

I will attempt this as soon as I can get a visa.

3 hours ago, Tidal Wave said:

When someone puts this much effort into their record collection they are over compensating for something that is missing in their life. 

You don’t mention any friends, family, significant other, pets, career. 

Missing?

Like a real, tangible culture? Artists who care about what they are creating? Music that lasts forever not just a weekend?

Yeh...