Thinking of giving up The HobbyTM

daegor

2 hours ago, birdwell said:

I've been spending far more time with older classic shit than newer/current bands.

Not to sound like a grumpy out man, but most new music stinks. There has only been a couple new releases this year I genuinely enjoy. This is a good way to not pre-order stuff; assume it's gonna be mediocre lol.

31 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

Not to sound like a grumpy out man, but most new music stinks. There has only been a couple new releases this year I genuinely enjoy. This is a good way to not pre-order stuff; assume it's gonna be mediocre lol.

We're both "grumpy" then 😂

1 hour ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

I'm not about to watch a YouTube video that is likely a bunch of unsubstantiated garbage.

What is he claiming that after however many years no one else has ever claimed about the health hazards of vinyl?

Not so much, he quotes studies and and is very upfront about the reality of the situation and that he's no scientist.  Overall I found it a pretty well done video, it's worth a watch even if you don't agree with everything in it (I think, at least).

Also, it's not just some dude.  He has a long career in music/mastering, has his own albums pressed on vinyl (in the past), etc.  Benn from The Flashbulb and a million other projects.

Definitely not expecting anyone here to indulge my curiosity/concerns, just looking for some opinions on the points raised where people are so inclined to participate.

45 minutes ago, daegor said:

Not so much, he quotes studies and and is very upfront about the reality of the situation and that he's no scientist.  Overall I found it a pretty well done video, it's worth a watch even if you don't agree with everything in it (I think, at least).

Also, it's not just some dude.  He has a long career in music/mastering, has his own albums pressed on vinyl (in the past), etc.  Benn from The Flashbulb and a million other projects.

Definitely not expecting anyone here to indulge my curiosity/concerns, just looking for some opinions on the points raised where people are so inclined to participate.

Like I said, I'm not going to watch it. I hate YouTube videos. What is it that he claims?

4 hours ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

Like I said, I'm not going to watch it. I hate YouTube videos. What is it that he claims?

Yeah my ‘Fake News’ comment was only to get a laugh, but really he got to a point in the video where he was testing the amount of PVC outgassing while spinning a record and made it seem almost as bad as the firefighters clothing in the hospital basement of Chernobyl 

6 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yeah my ‘Fake News’ comment was only to get a laugh, but really he got to a point in the video where he was testing the amount of PVC outgassing while spinning a record and made it seem almost as bad as the firefighters clothing in the hospital basement of Chernobyl 

Haha :P

12 hours ago, Tommy said:

Yeah that's the main part I'm looking for more information on.  I mean, it's certainly bad, but I can't imagine that you wouldn't get similar readings sitting in the drive-thru.

I'm definitely the just rub some dirt in it type on one hand, but on the other I'm not keen on actively exposing myself or my family to carcinogens either.

Regardless, I put around 1/3 of my collection up on Discogs last night 🤷‍♂️

I haven't listened to a record in a good 8 months or more. In that time, I've maybe bought 5 records. I constantly go through periods of listening a lot and then not, have done this with most stuff I'm interested in my entire life. That said, this is my longest lull and have debating selling off stuff too. Every time I look through my records, I can't bring myself to sell anything. Just stop buying, and take your time deciding what you want to do. You might think you want to sell it all off, but then it may be hard to get stuff back if you regret it down the line.

spacer.png

I got to stop buying god damn collections. This is a really great problem to have. But I find more satisfaction in buying and flipping than anything else these days. This was 1,100+ that I bought a month ago. Threw 300 out. Pulled +/- 175. Sitting on nearly 700 that I need to unload to someone who wants to do way more work than I do. But it's fun. I keep saying I want to quit hauling 1K+ records down my stairs to record shows but then I pulled this so that's why I stay motivated, haha.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Southern-University-Jazz-Ensemble-Live-At-The-1971-American-College-Jazz-Festival/release/12158075

I can sympathise with OP, although I’m not thinking of quitting completely I definitely need to have a clear out. Stopping variants is a good start, I don’t need 7 copies of an album 🙄

I find the sound quality of vinyl varies drastically, some sound great but then some are riddled with pops and distortion - and it pisses me off when you play a new record and it has sound quality issues. I have one of those anti static brushes and have been looking at a spin clean type device to see if it helps.

Today I bought my first CD player in years to add to my setup since I still have hundreds of CDs and it sounds pretty damn good! 

• 2 weeks later...

So a bunch of people, including myself, have been asking for sources and links to articles he discussing, and more information in general.  No response.

I've done a little digging myself, while the levels he's talking about recording are certainly not good, as far as I can tell it's not out of range of lots of other 'not good' pollution levels we experience on a day-to-day basis.

So.... whatever?  I'm very happy with my decision to slim down my collection and purchase habits, but I believe I will keep a core collection going.