[PO Soon] TOOL - Fear Inoculum 5x12" w/etching ULTRA-DELUXE BOX SET AT THE LOW LOW PRICE of $810...cuz TOOL hates their fans and someone needs to maintain Maynard's Vineyards

32 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Damn. I didn't realize yet another Tool vinyl release fell to the second hand market beast.

Ā 

Hopefully this will prompt them to put out some basic ass, newly well-mastered reissues.

Ā 

LOL.

Nah it's the same issue as every other normally in print record right now. No resources to keep up with demand. I've seen records that normally cost $20 the last 10 years go for $200+ because they go out of print for months/years now. You'll see more picture discs when they finish a new repress this year or next year I'll bet on it haha.

Ā 

That Turnstile thread is a great example of gimme now now I don't care for wait.

Edited by Why not Shelby

2 minutes ago, Why not Shelby said:

Nah it's the same issue as every other normally in print record right now. No resources to keep up with demand. I've seen records that normally cost $20 the last 10 years go for $200+ because they go out of print for months/years now. You'll see more picture discs when they finish a new repress this year or next year I'll bet on it haha.

Yeah, I've noticed the same trends. Was just hoping that since they managed to manufacture this vinyl wasting 5LP monstrosity in this climate of resource scarcity, maybe they would have also had the clout to get their other releases reissued but without all the useless glitz. I know its a pipe dream but so was a FI vinyl release for years.

6 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Yeah, I've noticed the same trends. Was just hoping that since they managed to manufacture this vinyl wasting 5LP monstrosity in this climate of resource scarcity, maybe they would have also had the clout to get their other releases reissued but without all the useless glitz. I know its a pipe dream but so was a FI vinyl release for years.

I'm surprised this FI is "180g" since that isn't a thing this year anymore. They either have the clout do do it like you said or they're lying for the buzzword. But that will backfire when someone weighs them.Ā 

Ā 

Down for that dream though I want Lateralus pretty bad

2 minutes ago, Why not Shelby said:

I'm surprised this FI is "180g" since that isn't a thing this year anymore. They either have the clout do do it like you said or they're lying for the buzzword. But that will backfire when someone weighs them.Ā 

Ā 

Down for that dream though I want Lateralus pretty bad

I'm actually happy to see the weight drop on releases in general. It is basically a total waste of raw materials that could be used to press more copies of other or the same records in the long run. I have heavy records and light records. Some of the heavy ones have warps and some light ones have warps. Doesn't seem to matter. If you're worried about stabilization of the LP on the platter, use a rubber slipmat or a lightweight clamp. I have experienced no benefit from records being 180g or above and it literally just sucks up excesses of the PVC that we could have in reserve to again, keep records in print.

Ā 

But yes, I also hope there is a new pressing of Lateralus (ANDĀ Ć†nima, for that matter) and I really hope they get their act together and cut it in the proper CD track sequence, on 2xLP, non-picture, high quality vinyl.

29 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I'm actually happy to see the weight drop on releases in general. It is basically a total waste of raw materials that could be used to press more copies of other or the same records in the long run. I have heavy records and light records. Some of the heavy ones have warps and some light ones have warps. Doesn't seem to matter. If you're worried about stabilization of the LP on the platter, use a rubber slipmat or a lightweight clamp. I have experienced no benefit from records being 180g or above and it literally just sucks up excesses of the PVC that we could have in reserve to again, keep records in print.

Ā 

But yes, I also hope there is a new pressing of Lateralus (ANDĀ Ć†nima, for that matter) and I really hope they get their act together and cut it in the proper CD track sequence, on 2xLP, non-picture, high quality vinyl.

Exactly, I've been arguing this for years now but there's always someone who thinks 180g does something. That's a whole ass nother record they could have pressed for every three and a half 180g records. Such a waste.

3 minutes ago, Why not Shelby said:

Exactly, I've been arguing this for years now but there's always someone who thinks 180g does something. That's a whole ass nother record they could have pressed for every three and a half 180g records. Such a waste.

Did we just become best friends?

Ā 

I'd argue its another record's worth of material for every two 180g records (relying that the weight is actually accurately that high) since I'd be happy with 120g per record and possibly even less.

8 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Did we just become best friends?

Ā 

I'd argue its another record's worth of material for every two 180g records (relying that the weight is actually accurately that high) since I'd be happy with 120g per record and possibly even less.

I'm fine with 120 as well but I'm not gonna lie and say 140 isn't perfect in my mind. Do you recall those old 150g Audiophile stickers that were the precursor to the 180g madness?

Ā 

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, jhulud said:

In all seriousness...is there any advantage to having & playing 180g records?

Ā 

Ā 

To an extent, yes. Otherwise we'd all be listening to flexis.

Ā 

A thicker record can hold deeper grooves and the weight helps it stay flat with less movement on the turntable. But IDK if they need to be 180g to acheive this.Ā 

Ā 

I have had vinyl that felt thinner than standard and did notice a decline in sound quality. But between a standard vinyl and 180g, if there is a difference it probably isn't going to be noticeable for most unless maybe you have a really high end sound system and turntable.

34 minutes ago, MrScorpio said:

To an extent, yes. Otherwise we'd all be listening to flexis.

Ā 

A thicker record can hold deeper grooves and the weight helps it stay flat with less movement on the turntable. But IDK if they need to be 180g to acheive this.Ā 

Ā 

I have had vinyl that felt thinner than standard and did notice a decline in sound quality. But between a standard vinyl and 180g, if there is a difference it probably isn't going to be noticeable for most unless maybe you have a really high end sound system and turntable.

You are so fucking stupid it's not even funny. Actually yes it is.

3 hours ago, Why not Shelby said:

That Turnstile thread is a great example of gimme now now I don't care for wait.

That whole thread baffles me. Band sounds like a bunch of 16 year olds messing around with effects on Garageband. I donā€™t think anything is more confusing to me currently.Ā 

• jhulud changed the title to [PO Soon] TOOL - Fear Inoculum 5xLP ULTRA-DELUXE BOX SET AT THE LOW LOW PRICE of $810...cuz TOOL hates their fans and someone needs to maintain Maynard's Vineyards
4 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Watching the eBay auctions for these should be considered some sort of sport. I've been getting bombarded with messages from the sellers giving me a best offer and discount.Ā 

I just started watching them, but seeing the $1,759.99 priced copy of Lateralus really cracked me up.Ā 

10 minutes ago, Rob-o-cop said:

Bro-core? I guess I think of shit like Knocked Loose as bro-core. No surprise that Turnstile would be shit on in a Tool thread though. Anyways, back on topic. That price tag is criminal and I hope there's a regular release.

Oh yeah, Knocked Loose too. Ā Another band I donā€™t really get the hype forā€¦ around VC, especially. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø I donā€™t think it has anything to do with being in a Tool thread, though. Ā If any other thread got sidetracked similarly, Iā€™m sure the same discussion would bubble up.

I think the April release was referred to as a ā€œworldwide releaseā€ so itā€™s really anyoneā€™s guess what that actually means. Ā I wouldnā€™t be the least bit surprised to see another 5LP (non-signed) version priced at a ā€œreasonableā€ $150, and having that be the only option to authentically own this album on vinyl.

• mcpherson123 changed the title to [PO Soon] TOOL - Fear Inoculum 5x12" w/etching ULTRA-DELUXE BOX SET AT THE LOW LOW PRICE of $810...cuz TOOL hates their fans and someone needs to maintain Maynard's Vineyards
1 hour ago, Rob-o-cop said:

Bro-core? I guess I think of shit like Knocked Loose as bro-core. No surprise that Turnstile would be shit on in a Tool thread though. Anyways, back on topic. That price tag is criminal and I hope there's a regular release.

Would you rather it be shit on in the proper thread where people are enjoying themselves? Seems more rude than doing it here.