PO Now: Pink Floyd - The Later Years

Pre Order Here

On November 29th, Pink Floyd Records will release ‘Pink Floyd The Later Years’, an 18-disc set (5 x CDs, 6 x Blu-Rays, 5 x DVDs, 2x7” plus exclusive photo book and memorabilia) covering the material created by David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright from 1987 onward. The period generated record sales of over 40 million worldwide and included three studio albums: ‘A Momentary Lapse of Reason’, ‘The Division Bell’ and ‘The Endless River’ as well as two live albums: ‘Delicate Sound of Thunder’ and ‘Pulse’. With additional production from David Gilmour and Andy Jackson, over 13 hours of unreleased audio and audiovisual material, including the sought-after 1989 Venice and 1990 Knebworth concerts, ‘Pink Floyd The Later Years’ is a must for all fans.

Yeah.... not buying this, but thought others may be interested.  I'm not a huge fan of 80's post-Roger Floyd.  I do like Division Bell, but this just kind of seems like overkill.

There is also a "Highlights of the Later Years"  Double LP.

I don't understand the releases the past few years.  Endless River seemed kind of pointless, The Early Years was only available commercially on CD, and then this monstrosity of post-Roger somewhat redundant material.  A box set of the studio albums would be an easy purchase for me.  Also, any pre-Wall live releases would be sweet.  Who knows, may not ever happen.  I'll stick with all of my live bootlegs and not feel bad about buying them because Pink Floyd Incorporated refuses to press any live material pre-1987.  It's probably due to some Roger/David squabble, but come on guys!

ehh the whole Waters v. Gilmour thing gets tiring.  They played very well off each other up until The Wall, which is probably my least favorite floyd album.  Yeah, it is a very good album and one of the most well known, but it's more of a Roger Waters album with a few Gilmour guitar solos.  Conversely, Floyd w/o Roger can be quite dull.

It sucks things went the way they did, but shit happens.  It's probably for the best.  Roger was pretty great on his Us +  Them tour.  I would still like to see Gilmour, but it sounds like he kind of hates touring nowadays.