Vinyl Record Only Plays One Side

RSV

Hi all,

New here (obviously) but thought this would be the best place to ask a question I hope makes some sense. Please keep in mind I'm relatively new to owning/playing vinyl records and not all terminology and acronyms will be fully understood I'd imagine. You're all more experience than I am in this.

Anyway... I have a record which I've just obtained and it only seems to play one side. Side A will play with no issues at all from start to finish but side B will not. Instead it fill slow down and fade out until the table stops rotating.

I've recorded a video to fully explain what I mean.

[video removed]

I've tried the second disc that comes with this set and disc two does the same thing. Although I have tried another pair of record and they play both sides with no issues at all. Initially I thought it was the turntable but the fact the other set work with no issues makes me wonder all over again. The most confusing part obviously being that Side A on both works correctly.

In short:

Utopia (Yellow) - Disc 1 - Side A: Works

Utopia (Yellow) - Disc 1 - Side B: Does Not Work

Utopia (Yellow) - Disc 2 - Side A: Works

Utopia (Yellow) - DIsc 2 - Side B: Does Not Work

Utopia 2 (Green) - Disc 1 - Side A: Works

Utopia 2 (Green) - Disc 1 - Side B: Works

Utopia 2 (Green) - Disc 2 - Side A: Works

Utopia 2 (Green) - Disc 2 - Side B: Works

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

Edited by RSV

16 minutes ago, rooks said:

needs a good sanding.

but yeah, your tonearm tracking force isn't strong enough to battle the massive warp on that record. put it in the white inner sleeve and pile a shit ton of books on it near a bright window or something for a day.

records should be flat.

It is flat, it's just come brand new and untouched.

spacer.png

Edited by RSV

15 minutes ago, museummouth said:

It’s your turntable 

12 minutes ago, rooks said:

oooo I see it now. the thing is just hanging there wobbling, it might not even be warped.

So, this turntable is one I'm borrowing from a family member. If it is the turntable that's fine but I wanna try check these out asap to work out if it needs to be returned or if it is the equipment and I can keep hold of the discs happily.

Looks like I'll need to take them to a record store to test there, maybe?

I mean, definitely get a new turntable but like you said, I’d take the LP’s to a record store to have them try them on a few tables before you go smashing and burning anything. It just doesn’t make any sense that it would only play the A-side of two different LP’s and then play both sides of others. If it was a tracking force issue you would think that would happen on both sides. That said, if it was a pressing issue you’d think that would be notated somewhere by now as well.... weird. 

52 minutes ago, fish said:

Is that record pushed down all the way when playing the b sides? Seems like a ton of wobble on the B while not so much on A. Record looks flat so that doesn't make much sense. I assume other records work fine?

If the center is bowled and its not an edge warp, one side is going to play pretty flat on edges while other side is going to look like a rollercoaster

53 minutes ago, fish said:

Is that record pushed down all the way when playing the b sides? Seems like a ton of wobble on the B while not so much on A. Record looks flat so that doesn't make much sense. I assume other records work fine?

^ This

I wonder if the hole for the spindle is not cut quite straight. Like the a side goes down easily, but the b side hangs up. I used to see that on LPs from England in the '80s. Maybe carefully hit the hole with an xacto blade.

Also, great job making a post that was well presented and thoughtful. I'm amazed that no one has shit on it.

Although that "record player" tho...