Lots of warped new albums

I recently pulled the trigger and got a vinyl setup after 15 years of saying I was going to.  I've mostly been buying older used albums, but every few weeks, I treat myself to a new one.  Unfortunately 50% of the new albums I've bought have been warped, and not just a little.  It's not the end of the world because I'm buying them from Amazon which means I can just keep sending them back until I get a good copy.  But It's beyond frustrating that I'm getting 50 year old perfectly flat NM quality albums for $2-3 while these brand new ones are awful.

The four warped albums I've gotten are

-Ann Peebles - Straight from the Heart (second copy was good)

-Weezer - Blue Album (gave up after the 3rd copy)

-Mandolin Orange - Blindfaller (gave up after the 3rd copy)

-St. Paul & the Broken Bones - Sea of Noise (just got it Friday and haven't sent it back yet)

Do I just have the worst luck in the world, or is it pretty standard that these newer pressings have terrible quality control?  Or is Amazon storing them incorrectly and causing the warping?  Should I be trying to flatten them between books instead of sending them back?  I read something about flattening them in the oven between two pieces of glass, but that makes me nervous as hell.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Deep Dish

Maybe specific Amazon warehouses? My purchases from Amazon were mostly good with the occasional dish. 

My bet is on bad QC at the plants. They are slammed and today’s thicker vinyl needs more time to cool and it doesn’t always get that time, but who knows?

Another thought is vinyl has always had problems. Warps, surface noise, wear. They always have, and always will be a part of being a vinyl user. Sounds like you are just getting unlucky.

It could very well have to do with your record player, rather than crazy bad luck with these brand new LP's. If you do not have an adjustable tonearm, that would explain a great majority of these cases. Older record players and even some newer models (like Crosley) don't have this simple enhancement, which alleviates a lot of the grief of imperfect vinyl. Dunno what you got but if it's a constant problem it might be worth springing for a slightly better table.

I buy a lot of new vinyl releases from a variety of sources, including Amazon. I'd say a large percent are at least slightly warped. Probably 30-40% are not completely flat. Most have minor edge warps or are dished. I haven't received an album that is so warped it is unplayable. I'm using a relatively expensive stylus ($300), by my standards/income level, and playing even slightly warped records will lead to premature wear overtime. So I opt for replacements as well.

I often purchase from Amazon simply because of their return policy. I too return multiple albums until I can get a clean copy. I don't think it is a storage issue at their warehouse and more so a QC issue at the plants. They are overwhelmed and pushing albums out as quickly as they can. I would suggest that you visit discogs and read the reviews for certain releases you are interested in. People will provide details about pressing flaws. I should also mention that even the "audiophile" pressing plants, like RTI, also put out bad presses. I've picked up quite a few 45 rpm 2xLP Blue Note reissues, and those too, at $50 a pop, had warps, misaligned center labels, off-center presses, sleeve scuffs, etc. It's a pain dealing with returns and replacements, but it's unfortunately all part of the modern vinyl game. 

3 hours ago, Deep Dish said:

I recently pulled the trigger and got a vinyl setup after 15 years of saying I was going to.  I've mostly been buying older used albums, but every few weeks, I treat myself to a new one.  Unfortunately 50% of the new albums I've bought have been warped, and not just a little.  It's not the end of the world because I'm buying them from Amazon which means I can just keep sending them back until I get a good copy.  But It's beyond frustrating that I'm getting 50 year old perfectly flat NM quality albums for $2-3 while these brand new ones are awful.

The four warped albums I've gotten are

-Ann Peebles - Straight from the Heart (second copy was good)

-Weezer - Blue Album (gave up after the 3rd copy)

-Mandolin Orange - Blindfaller (gave up after the 3rd copy)

-St. Paul & the Broken Bones - Sea of Noise (just got it Friday and haven't sent it back yet)

Do I just have the worst luck in the world, or is it pretty standard that these newer pressings have terrible quality control?  Or is Amazon storing them incorrectly and causing the warping?  Should I be trying to flatten them between books instead of sending them back?  I read something about flattening them in the oven between two pieces of glass, but that makes me nervous as hell.

Thanks in advance!

semi-related: when you request a return from Amazon and get a replacement but eventually give up, do you get your original purchase amount back? considering sending back yet another LP, damaged in transit, that was meant to be the replacement copy for an original that was damaged in transit (improper packaging, the luck of the Amazon vinyl draw i guess) and on the orders page the "refund" credit is showing up as $0.00... is that misleading, or do i need to get on the phone with someone at Amazon to get my money back?

On 9/1/2019 at 3:30 PM, HoneyFrosted said:

It could very well have to do with your record player, rather than crazy bad luck with these brand new LP's. If you do not have an adjustable tonearm, that would explain a great majority of these cases. Older record players and even some newer models (like Crosley) don't have this simple enhancement, which alleviates a lot of the grief of imperfect vinyl. Dunno what you got but if it's a constant problem it might be worth springing for a slightly better table.

I've got a Kenwood KD-5033.  The specs say "Tonearm: static-balance type, s-shaped pipe arm."   I know when I bought it, the guy showed me how to adjust everything (of course I was overly excited and don't remember everything), and I'm pretty sure he adjusted the balance of the tone arm.  I don't actually hear any difference because of the warping, but like zdkaiser said, I'm worried about it causing uneven and premature wear.

spacer.png

On 9/1/2019 at 6:02 PM, copelandkid said:

semi-related: when you request a return from Amazon and get a replacement but eventually give up, do you get your original purchase amount back? considering sending back yet another LP, damaged in transit, that was meant to be the replacement copy for an original that was damaged in transit (improper packaging, the luck of the Amazon vinyl draw i guess) and on the orders page the "refund" credit is showing up as $0.00... is that misleading, or do i need to get on the phone with someone at Amazon to get my money back?

Here's what it looks like on my Amazon order page after they've received the final copy I sent back:

spacer.png

It won't actually show the refund amount under the order, but it should show up in your bank account.

Thanks for the help, everyone!  I'll just keep sending them back and let Bezos eat the cost.

Hmmm yeah if it's a minor warp that doesn't affect playback, I wouldn't worry about it. In my collection of ~550 right now, I only have 2 records where it affected playback (and I really should get to fixing them in the oven or something). One I actually don't care about that much, a They Might be Giants album where the whole first half of both sides skip, and then The Front Bottoms - Talon of the Hawk where the first track and a half have a pop as the needle goes off the jump.

The only warped record I've gotten from Amazon was an Amazon Warehouse purchase, so I didn't think much of it. It plays fine, just has a slight bell warp. Either you're unlucky or they're being stored incorrectly. Sometimes packaging can be a problem too. Do they send them in flat LP mailers, or do they just throw it in a box with some bubble padding? 

4 hours ago, MyckelJay said:

The only warped record I've gotten from Amazon was an Amazon Warehouse purchase, so I didn't think much of it. It plays fine, just has a slight bell warp. Either you're unlucky or they're being stored incorrectly. Sometimes packaging can be a problem too. Do they send them in flat LP mailers, or do they just throw it in a box with some bubble padding? 

They're in flat LP mailers. 

5 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

Hmmm yeah if it's a minor warp that doesn't affect playback, I wouldn't worry about it

I actually just put the most recent warped one I got on, and maybe it's because I'm staring at it, but I can definitely hear a "swooshing" in quiet parts.

Yo, real talk. Most people will probs sheet all over this, but It has worked for me repeatedly. 

Get your warped album, get a glass cutting board, get a small weight and an oven and your good to go. 

Last time I did this was on the latest Paramore album and it did wonders. Went from Audibly warped to almost dead flat.

Put your oven at 150, put the cutting board in, album still in a paper sleeve on the cutting board, another on top (or another flat planar weight) and bake it for like 15m. Pull it out and let it cool with weight still on top. 

Like no joke has worked well for me. Not only does this fix warps, but I have laso had it fix bad vRAM sauters on old video cards/gpu's 🌹

Edited by V3XED