PO: R.E.M. Monster 25th Anniversary (1st November)

CeCeCe

R.E.M. reissue of Monster coming 1st November for its 25th Anniversary

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-LP-R-M/dp/B07VQ9SFS4/ref=sr_1_2?crid=ZES3V5CVAD1Y&keywords=r.e.m.+monster&qid=1567527987&s=music&sprefix=r.%2Cmusic-intl-ship%2C224&sr=1-2

And a 2xLP version that includes a 2nd LP of remixed versions : 'Commemorating the album’s 25th anniversary, original Producer Scott Litt re-approached R.E.M.’s “Monster” by remixing the entire album. The original 1995 version was dense in guitars and feedback with the vocals mixed within the sonic wall, but on this alternative version the guitars are pulled back and the vocals pushed forward to create a more open sound and showcase often-revealing lyrics'

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-2-LP-R-M/dp/B07VQ9S26Q/ref=sr_1_1?crid=ZES3V5CVAD1Y&keywords=r.e.m.+monster&qid=1567527786&s=music&sprefix=r.%2Cmusic-intl-ship%2C224&sr=1-1

UK 2xLP  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monster-25th-Anniversary-VINYL-TBC/dp/B07VQ9S26Q/ref=sr_1_88?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1567604736&refinements=p_n_date%3A182239031%2Cp_n_binding_browse-bin%3A382539011&rnid=382527011&s=music&sr=1-88

Plus 6CD set if anyone is interested in that

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-CD-Blu-ray-R-M/dp/B07VTYDX88/ref=sr_1_1?crid=ZES3V5CVAD1Y&keywords=r.e.m.+monster&qid=1567527987&s=music&sprefix=r.%2Cmusic-intl-ship%2C224&sr=1-1

Artwork changed from orange to blue as well for the 2lp and CD boxset

Monster [2 LP]

Edited by craigeduk

I recently revisited this album due to some chatter on another forum. It did bring back memories of the time of its release, but I’m not a big fan of REM and the latest listen didn’t change that. 

I do however LOVE the idea of the remix LP. I love when this is done to go alongside the original mix, not replace it, but just to give an alternate experience. I loved the In Utero, TotD, Ultramega OK, and Ten remixes, most of the Steven Wilson remixes, etc. No thanks to the Megadeth remixes though, as not only are they bad, but they are meant to replace the originals.

5 minutes ago, kannibal said:

I recently revisited this album due to some chatter on another forum. It did bring back memories of the time of its release, but I’m not a big fan of REM and the latest listen didn’t change that. 

I do however LOVE the idea of the remix LP. I love when this is done to go alongside the original mix, not replace it, but just to give an alternate experience. I loved the In Utero, TotD, Ultramega OK, and Ten remixes, most of the Steven Wilson remixes, etc. No thanks to the Megadeth remixes though, as not only are they bad, but they are meant to replace the originals.

I support most of everything said in this post. 

I never knew more than 2 songs by this band but then I saw their 1991 unplugged performance on mtv a couple months ago and I thought it was soooo good.  and I really really like that performance but not the regular versions as much...I also really liked the nirvana unplugged show so I guess I just like unplugged performances.  p.s. this is a cute album cover.

I overdose on the volume and saturation of the production and guitars like 4 songs in, so I love the toned down Kenneth remix and am excited to hear more.

IMO, these songs are great and have more than enough on their own without the heightened filter that they drenched them in. I'm not a sound dude so I lack the vocabulary to describe it exactly but it's just too much, at least for my ears. I hope the remix is mostly a subtle reigning in of the excessive elements and lets the instruments and vocals do their thing. I hate getting ear fatigue before I can get to Let Me In, one of my top 5 R.E.M. tracks of all time.