Swans - leaving meaning. (PO now)

Hello!

Just wanted to let you know that the new Swans album leaving meaning. is now available for pre-order. You can get a signed copy via the Young God Records Webstore (https://bit.ly/2jWX7nB). It will be officially released October 25. You can listen to a song from the album called "It's Coming It's Real" on Swans YouTube channel (https://bit.ly/2jWXkqT). It's just one facet of an album that is replete with a wide variety of moods, dynamics and atmospheres. This particular song features the choral vocals of Anna and Maria von Hausswolff. The album includes contributions from recent and former Swans, members of Angels of Light, as well as Special Guest Artists Ben Frost, The Necks, Baby Dee, a Hawk and a Hacksaw and Anna and Maria von Hausswolff. This album is the first installment from the newly reconfigured Swans, which will henceforth draw from a wide pool of talented contributors, varying from record to record. I hope you enjoy the music!

With Unbridled Love,

Michael Gira / Swans

Unsigned copies of leaving meaning. are also available though Mute in the UK. (https://bit.ly/2lAotjU)

Edited by SeanPuffy
add links

Never was huge into Swans but I've been slowly checking out the highly-rated stuff recently. Slowly because they require time. I had The Great Annihilator when that was their newest record, liked it ok, but not enough to stay interested in them. Having revisited that one lately it's pretty great. 

42 minutes ago, jeromium said:

Never was huge into Swans but I've been slowly checking out the highly-rated stuff recently. Slowly because they require time. I had The Great Annihilator when that was their newest record, liked it ok, but not enough to stay interested in them. Having revisited that one lately it's pretty great. 

White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity and The Seer are both desert island records in my life. I can say unequivocally that White Light... changed my life.

1 hour ago, Monastic_mike said:

White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity and The Seer are both desert island records in my life. I can say unequivocally that White Light... changed my life.

So far, White Light seems to be the most interesting. I've played it twice, about time for another soon. I haven't checked out The Seer. The other two I've listened to are Soundtracks for the Blind and Filth.

That’s a ton of variety to cover.  SFTB is a dense beast and not at all where I’d point a new listener to, but kudos to you for giving it a whirl.  I love that record but it’s reserved for the right time and the right mood.

Post-hiatus Swans - everything after SFTB - is my favorite era of theirs, personally.  Don’t even care if that makes me some kind of late-to-the-party bandwagoner.  The scope and magnitude of Seer / TBK / Glowing Man are unmatched.

12 hours ago, Derek™ said:

That’s a ton of variety to cover.  SFTB is a dense beast and not at all where I’d point a new listener to, but kudos to you for giving it a whirl.  I love that record but it’s reserved for the right time and the right mood.

Post-hiatus Swans - everything after SFTB - is my favorite era of theirs, personally.  Don’t even care if that makes me some kind of late-to-the-party bandwagoner.  The scope and magnitude of Seer / TBK / Glowing Man are unmatched.

New swans > old swans u right 

17 hours ago, Derek™ said:

goddamn right. By far my favorite Swans material.

2 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

goddamn right. By far my favorite Swans material.

Not to trudge up old stuff but I took a hiatus from Swans after the Larkin stuff but prior to that I largely felt the same 

now I don't know, their pre-hiatus stuff is winning for me  (but this new track is solid af) 

On 9/5/2019 at 1:30 PM, jeromium said:

So far, White Light seems to be the most interesting. I've played it twice, about time for another soon. I haven't checked out The Seer. The other two I've listened to are Soundtracks for the Blind and Filth.

White Light was my introduction to Swans. It hadn't been out long before I was turned on to it. I bought the recent repress of it and it sounds incredible. I can't not play it at eviction inducing levels. The Seer is my favorite of the 2010-2018 version of the band but honestly they are all great. In fact there is no Swans title that is "mediocre" in my book. The one I listen to least is Soundtracks for the Blind, but when I do I'm always impressed with it.

Just IMO, but if you listen to WLFMI and then Great Annihilator its a great progression on a theme. 

On 9/5/2019 at 1:40 PM, Derek™ said:

I don't disagree but I see the different phases of Swans as completely separate bands. Filth is fucking great. But so is White Light and also Father. I think thats why I love the band so much: they change and so do I (we). Some albums are better than others but NONE are mediocre. My opinion of course.

5 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Children Of God is hands down my favourite Swans album, their more recent iteration was good but it was starting to lose steam so I'm happy they ended it when they did. New track is good.

Children of God is mine as well, that's my favorite era overall.

Swans really don't have a bad album imo (not even The Burning World), but I just want to set the record straight and point out that they peaked with Public Castration Is A Good Idea, followed closely and in no particular order by Cop, Young God, Filth, Time Is Money (Bastard), Swans EP, and all the good stuff from then.

On 9/7/2019 at 1:28 PM, youspinmeround said:

Children of God followed by Cop for me. In the post hiatus ,I liked father because it was more urgent and I didnt have to devote 2 plus hours to an album.  Live I also thought they lost some steam playing 30 min songs

Go back to the pop punk threads

My favorite band. I go between Cop/The Seer as my favorite release depending on my mood. New track has more of an Angels of Light feel to it. I’m very interested to see if the whole record goes in that direction. 

To say say they lose steam playing long songs live is insane. I went to the last three nights  of shows they played in a row in their last incarnation and they have more power and intensity over a three hour set than bands a literal third of their age have in a twenty minute set. 

Just now, bloodtypex said:

I’m very interested to see if the whole record goes in that direction. 

To say say they lose steam playing long songs live is insane. I went to the last three nights  of shows they played in a row in their last incarnation and they have more power and intensity over a three hour set than bands a literal third of their age have in a twenty minute set. 

It absolutely won’t.

Also strongly agreed on their live sets.  Hearing them workshop Frankie M and being pummeled by power chords and hypnotic grooves for 15 minutes was a top-tier live Swans moment, back in the day.

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

It absolutely won’t.

Also strongly agreed on their live sets.  Hearing them workshop Frankie M and being pummeled by power chords and hypnotic grooves for 15 minutes was a top-tier live Swans moment, back in the day.

I don’t think it will either. I’m sure this is sandwiched in between two absolute monster tracks. I saw Gira play a solo set last year and he played a lot of “demo” versions of new songs that were great. Also closed with God Damn the Sun.